Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bringing cheap cigars from now on (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73416)

jjmitchem 10-18-2017 05:33 PM

Bringing cheap cigars from now on

My daughter's wedding was this past weekend. It was a big deal for us - youngest daughter and I was officiating it.

So I did what the event deserved, I bought a box of good cigars to hand out - Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro.

I asked if they would like to join me for a cigar and I offered. Quite a few took "one for later" or smoked a 1/3 then tossed it. I even found a couple laying on the tables the next day when we went back to clean up.

From now on I will bring some good ones for those I know will appreciate or want to learn and some factory cigars for those who dont

UpInSmoke79 10-18-2017 05:41 PM

Re: Bringing cheap cigars from now on

Ouch!

hudd 10-18-2017 05:58 PM

Been there...done that.

AdamJoshua 10-18-2017 06:04 PM

Did the split at my friend Liz's wedding, brought a handful of good sticks for me and a couple people I knew would actually smoke them and a box of so / so sticks that could be pitched for all I cared. It was funny because I even told her new husband, if I see this snubbed out somewhere you're on the sh!t list because I brought a couple cohibas to their place for a cookout and he smoked about half of a killer coro then mashed it down into an ashtray... almost threw him into the drainage ditch. :lr

Brian D. 10-19-2017 06:23 AM

I've got enough pals who appreciate cigars that I don't feel much compelled to hand any out to strangers. We have three good sized organized herfs per week around here, the one I hit most often is at a bar on the Ohio River. So naturally, some of us are in there other nights too. Other folks will wander in, see us, and suddenly want to mooch or buy cigars. Sometimes their demeanor is polite, other times they're just obnoxious drunks, or obnoxious guys on the way to being drunk. The polite guys, we might indulge, but not the jerks. Guaranteed they will take a few puffs and leave the sticks sit, or worse.

BigAsh 10-19-2017 06:36 AM

there's a drawer in my humi for sticks destined for "those people"...

sigsauer 10-19-2017 07:00 AM

I hate this ****...bunch of ingrates

oldforge 10-19-2017 07:59 AM

I hide my WOAMs--just hope I don't get too old to remember where they are. :-)

dave 10-19-2017 09:21 AM

unfortunately, too many people see it as a wedding first...and the cigar part just secondary, if given a thought at all.
So, I don't go to weddings any more. My sons will just have to get married at herfs if they want me there

dvickery 10-19-2017 09:43 AM

For these situations I have my "brother in law 'ador" .

Derrek

stearns 10-19-2017 09:46 AM

Always sad to see, I remember at least a dozen monte 2's at my sisters wedding with less than an inch smoked :sl

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 2135492)
So, I don't go to weddings any more. My sons will just have to get married at herfs if they want me there

:r

mosesbotbol 10-19-2017 09:52 AM

As mentioned already, you need to have different cigars for different smokers. The worst cigar offered has to be something you'd smoke yourself if someone gave it you. Doesn't need to be "expensive", but a minimum level must be maintained.

dave 10-19-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

So, I don't go to weddings any more.

I'd go to Ben's, though. You KNOW the cigars would be killer....dude doesn't know what a chitty cigar is

Ashcan Bill 10-19-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2135495)
As mentioned already, you need to have different cigars for different smokers. The worst cigar offered has to be something you'd smoke yourself if someone gave it you. Doesn't need to be "expensive", but a minimum level must be maintained.

I do the same. I have some old friends who I get together with a couple times a year who like to smoke a cigar with me when I light up. But most of the time whatever I give them ends up half smoked and discarded. While I gladly give them a decent cigar that I'll smoke right along with them, I no longer give them expensive cigars. It's a waste and they can't tell any difference, nor do they really care. They just want something to puff on while we shoot the breeze. There are plenty of good cigars out there that aren't that expensive.

icehog3 10-19-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

My sons will just have to get married at herfs if they want me there

Epic! :r :r

hammondc 10-19-2017 05:06 PM

Yep. Been there. Done that. I always buy a box of the cheaper General Cigar RyJ/Monte I can find. Folks recognize the name.