Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   1st Annual Grill Buying Advice Thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15391)

Hammerhead 05-12-2009 12:17 PM

1st Annual Grill Buying Advice Thread

Ah, yes. The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, and it's time for the predictable, perennial, first annual What-Grill-To-Buy thread.

I'm looking for something that is around $400 (give or take), and fairly small because I don't need four, five or six burners. Don't need bells and whistles like lights or LCD propane readouts, either. I have no problem at all with last year's model or a closeout - in fact it'd be preferable if it stretches the budget.

My philosophy has always been "buy it once, buy it right", so if another $100 will make a difference, I'll spend it, because I'd rather whine about the extra one hundred I spent on something better, than regret the first four hundred thrown away on something worse. I tend to take pretty good care of my stuff, so whatever I buy lasts a good long time.

Does anyone know about these infrared models? I saw one last year in Lowe's with a TEC burner that looked real nice and I know they're supposed to have resolved some of their technical issues that affected earlier models.

Oh, and yes, I already have access to an Orion smoker, so that base is covered. :wo

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Smokin Gator 05-12-2009 01:17 PM

Re: 1st Annual Grill Buying Advice Thread

Buy a Weber and be done with it.

I am partial to charcoal. If you want an easy one get a Performer. It has gas assist so the lighting is easy. If you buy an extra charcoal grate and put it on top of the existing one at a 90 degree angle you can use lump charcoal. Then you really have a grilling machine.

Hammerhead 05-12-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 379446)
Buy a Weber and be done with it.

I am partial to charcoal. If you want an easy one get a Performer. It has gas assist so the lighting is easy. If you buy an extra charcoal grate and put it on top of the existing one at a 90 degree angle you can use lump charcoal. Then you really have a grilling machine.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that charcoal is impractical for me here. Has to be gas.

Smokin Gator 05-12-2009 01:25 PM

Look on Craigslist and pick up a Genesis Silver or Gold if you want the side burner. They are great grills and you can always get parts. That is the problem with most of the other stuff out there. 4-5 years from now when you need a part you can't find it.

Hammerhead 05-12-2009 01:32 PM

I'm a little creeped out with the idea of buying cooking equipment used. Cars, audio/video, computers, fine... but this one just doesn't fly, unless I can find one unused. And I really do want to get opinions about infrared grills...

BlackDog 05-12-2009 01:34 PM

I have a grill from Vermont Castings grill and really like it a lot. It cost about $400, and with care I think it will last a very long time. I like that it's so heavy and contains heat so well. It's got 3 burners, and cooks very evenly. Well recommended.

Smokin Gator 05-12-2009 01:35 PM

Whatever could be in there that could bother you can be burned out. You can also replace the cooking grates easily and cheaply.

Either way though... stick with Weber. Trust me!!!

mhailey 05-12-2009 01:39 PM

Weber or Vermont Castings. Can't go wrong. I don't know anything about infrared burners, but these two manufaturers make a top notch grill.

Matt

kelmac07 05-12-2009 01:55 PM

I picked up my Charbroil two years ago and LOVE IT!!!!

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/IMG_0178.jpg

skullnrose 05-12-2009 02:15 PM

Weber = money well spent. They last forever the stainless holds up great.

ActionAndy 05-12-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 379484)
I picked up my Charbroil two years ago and LOVE IT!!!!

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/v...o/IMG_0178.jpg

I have the same grill. It's pretty rad. No advice on infrared though, sorry--seems gimmicky to me.

newcigarz 05-12-2009 02:27 PM

Weber gets my vote.

http://www.fototime.com/350631AA1A70852/standard.jpg

ucla695 05-12-2009 07:08 PM

Another happy CharBroil user here. :tu

My only advice is to buy it Labor Day weekend and you get a nice discount from retailers like Home Depot and Lowes. I picked up mine 25% off a couple of years ago. :dance:

WildBlueSooner 05-12-2009 07:44 PM

Gotta love the Big Green Egg!

AAlmeter 05-12-2009 07:55 PM

I'm a charcoal guy, but used a Weber at my dad's when I lived there and was the primary (ok, only) cook.

He has had his for almost 10 years, stored outside and used year round in Buffalo.

It has been very reliable and still has the original burners.

His is also natural gas fueled. I can't remember if he bought it like that or if he bored out the burners himself, but it makes it extremely convenient.

Ratters 05-12-2009 08:19 PM

I have a stainless model from Costco that I really like. Has infrared but haven't really used it.

That said, If you are looking to truly buy once, +1000 on getting a Weber. Last forever and work great.