Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New Tax Bill - Are you getting relief? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73638)

mosesbotbol 12-20-2017 12:34 PM

New Tax Bill - Are you getting relief?

The tax bill has passed. Do you anticipate lower taxes? States with high taxes are less likely to get a benefit. Not sure how high our taxes are in MA.

I am for the tax plan, but from what I can see I don't think I will get any savings from it. How about you?

Ashcan Bill 12-20-2017 12:55 PM

Re: New Tax Bill - Are you getting relief?

We have no state income tax in Nevada and I don't have a mortgage so we take the standard deduction. I expect we'll save a little bit since the standard deduction is increased (though I believe the personal exemption is eliminated?) and the brackets have been slightly reduced. We'll see.

Flynnster 12-20-2017 01:49 PM

It's going to be a real toss up for a lot of people. I think those who had a lot of exemptions (for example contractors) are going to be hit pretty hard by this. But for those who are more "regular" who have one job, a mortgage, and nothing too crazy I think there will be little change other than things becoming easier. This being my first year where I don't have 2 or 3 consulting/contracting jobs to worry about, nor student loan interest, I think I may come out ahead.

I see this more as a move to the "easier" tax return that so many desire, than a foundational shift in federal taxes.

shilala 12-20-2017 02:00 PM

I didn't bother last year. This year is gonna hurt.
Fortunately my buddy is the county tax collector/doer.
Taxes suck.

mosesbotbol 12-21-2017 05:28 AM

Actually, on further review I think I am lowering my tax liability! I was looking at the current tax brackets when I first post.

T.G 12-21-2017 07:35 AM

"Only white man could cut 1 foot off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket and proclaim the blanket is now longer"
--Keith Sellers aka: Big Chief / SkidMarx

Subvet642 12-22-2017 04:55 AM

I haven't looked at whether I'll personally save any money but the way I figure it, the simpler the better. If I had my way, there would be a flat tax with no deductions, in other words, a one line tax code. The way I see it, if we are all equal, as stated in the Declaration of Independence, then the tax code should treat us all equally; rich and not-so-rich alike. I'm just a security guard but I am so sick of society thinking that just because someone is wealthy they are somehow "prey animals" for the rest of us to feed upon, figuratively speaking.

mosesbotbol 12-22-2017 06:41 AM

So, they say we will say a difference in the paycheck. How is that going to happen? Do withholding's change or is that just analogy? For sure if there is a break, you'd notice it by April 2019 when doing taxes. I generally over-withhold to ensure I can cover any 1099 income that I may generate. The worst is having to write a check to the Govt for me. I'd rather get money back.

GoatLocker 12-22-2017 10:55 AM

Employers will recalculate withholding based on your W2 and the new tax tables, so folks who get a paycheck will see an increase.

Looks like I will no longer be itemizing. Really happy about that. Taxable income will be higher, but tax owed will be lower by a couple thousand $. Even happier about that.;)

I agree with Subvet, we should all pay a flat rate, no deductions or credits. I get tired of people who don't pay taxes demanding others must pay more. Everyone should have skin in the game.

shark 12-25-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 2140144)
I haven't looked at whether I'll personally save any money but the way I figure it, the simpler the better. If I had my way, there would be a flat tax with no deductions, in other words, a one line tax code. The way I see it, if we are all equal, as stated in the Declaration of Independence, then the tax code should treat us all equally; rich and not-so-rich alike. I'm just a security guard but I am so sick of society thinking that just because someone is wealthy they are somehow "prey animals" for the rest of us to feed upon, figuratively speaking.

Even better, just trash the 16th Amendment altogether and go back to taxing the way it was previously.

Navydoc 01-14-2018 02:24 PM

Now that all my income comes from my LLC i'm hoping the 21% tax bracket is better than the 35% I was paying...

Da Klugs 01-14-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navydoc (Post 2142153)
Now that all my income comes from my LLC i'm hoping the 21% tax bracket is better than the 35% I was paying...

check here: Simplemathduh.com

:)