Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Alec Bradley Prensado (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29447)

OHRD 03-05-2010 08:04 AM

Alec Bradley Prensado

http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-conten..._2-555x360.jpg

Size: 5×50, Robusto

Wrapper: Honduran

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium-Full

Price: Box of 20, $185.00

Grade: 8.7

Another cigar released at 2009’s IPCPR, the Prensado comes in five sizes and has received some very positive reviews. The Prenado utilizes a new wrapper, the Corojo dos mil, which is a Honduran wrapper that was grown in 2006 and spent most of 2008 again and fermenting. Once the tobacco had completed the aging and formation process, they spent six months testing the blend. The first production was released in March of 2009.

Everyone is familiar with Alec Bradley, so let’s get on with the toast!

Pre-light, 1.8:
The slight box press on the Alec Bradley Prensado, coupled with the reddish brown wrapper, really made this smoke appealing. I also liked the band of this smoke – it was intricate but the brand and blend was prominent in the design. The wrapper was smooth with a couple of prominent veins and the cigar was very firm to the touch with good weight. The triple cap was constructed nicely and capped the head of the Robusto well. The pre-light aroma was of dark barnyard with a hint of milk chocolate at the foot. I also noticed multiple colors or layers of tobacco when I was getting the aroma from the foot. The cold draw produced notes of warm spice that was pleasing to the palate.

Burn, 1.6:
Toasted and lit, the Alec Bradley had a nice draw but right out of the gate the burn was jagged. Throughout the smoke, I had burn issues, which consisted mostly of a jagged burn that never did correct itself. The ash had a nice marble to it but because of the jagged burn, I was not able to really see the layers or tell how well the ash was holding. This seems to be a consistent problem with Alec Bradley smokes.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first third of the Prensado was of warm tobacco with a hint of cocoa here and there. There was a definite spice on the exhale. The second third was similar to the first but I started picking up woody notes here and there coupled with the Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco. The spice also defined itself as more of a pepper as opposed to a sweet spice. The finish throughout the smoke was short, which was surprising as I thought it would be a little longer. The last third didn’t really make any movement from the prior notes, still a bouquet of nice woody tobacco notes with pepper spice.

Overall, 2.6:
The Alec Bradley is priced at around nine bucks a stick and this will affect the overall rating for me. The flavor profile was good but not great and this, coupled with the burn issues, really makes me hesitant to pick up additional Prensados. That being said, A.B. makes a good cigar and I am sure this blend will come into its own and I may give it another whirl in a few months.

(Total: 8.7)

tuxpuff 03-05-2010 08:11 AM

Re: Alec Bradley Prensado

Great review Matthew...thanks!

BeerAdvocate 03-05-2010 09:12 AM

I love this stick. I think it was one of the best new cigars to come out last year!

G G 03-05-2010 09:14 AM

Thanks for the review.:tu

OHRD 03-05-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 783143)
I love this stick. I think it was one of the best new cigars to come out last year!

Have you had any burn issues? I have terrible luck w/ AB and the burn.

MedicCook 03-05-2010 09:37 AM

Thanks for the review Matthew.

e-man67 03-05-2010 09:43 AM

I just don't get this stick...did nothing for me..looks damn sexy but just one-dimensional and not in a good way. That being said AB's are not my flavor. For the cash give me a Drew Estates Liga #9 or #52.

elderboy02 03-05-2010 09:57 AM

I had one and it was phenomenal (milk chocolate). I bought a box a couple weeks later and I just didn't like them anymore. I am glad you enjoyed it.

silentjon 03-05-2010 10:08 AM

I really like this cigar, but I have had burn issues with them.

kelmac07 03-05-2010 10:42 AM

Nice review...thanks for sharing. Have a 5er resting in the humi. :tu

OHRD 03-05-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentjon (Post 783237)
I really like this cigar, but I have had burn issues with them.

I've been asking around on the Forum and on Twitter about that, b/c I seem to have burn issues w/ nearly every AB cigar I smoke...

alpha8a 03-05-2010 02:50 PM

I too had burn issues when I smoked one of these. I found the flavors to be great though.