Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Please read...credit card compromised (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15325)

e-man67 05-11-2009 06:24 AM

Please read...credit card compromised

So I have only used my credit card lately for stogie purchases and or accessories. I have used some of the international pay sites in the last few weeks. I got a call from my credit card company asking me to confirm 2 recent charges on my account. Whomever got ahold of my charge tried to charge 2 different charges for $14 for Skype. I told the credit card company NO I did not authorize this and they immediately closed the account. Just saying be carefull out there...it can happen any place at any time...the last time this happened (about a year ago) I took the wife and kids to a local pizza joint and the server stole the number and charged things. I never would have guessed b/c the guy was very polite and I always tip well...you just never know. :mad:

smitdavi 05-11-2009 06:28 AM

Re: Please read...credit card compromised

I work for a credit card processor and see it everyday. It's almost impossible to protect yourself 100%. Just be careful and always check your account.

BeerAdvocate 05-11-2009 06:30 AM

Just max your credit card out with cigar purchases and there wont be any room left for someone to make unauthorized charges :D

Linus 05-11-2009 06:32 AM

I recently had two credit cards compromised, including my business card to the tune of nearly $7000. In both cases, the CC Companies contacted me, revoked the cards, removed the charges and issued new ones. One of the things I give them credit for is that they now monitor purchases and know people's habits (both a good and bad thing, IMO). As a result, I got protected from someone trying to scam me. It's good that they picked up on the small purchases as well.

e-man67 05-11-2009 06:55 AM

Yep, I have a friend here at work and he had the same thing happen to him. He noticed 2 charges on his account for the Wall Street Journal and he called his credit card company and told them he did not authorize. The credit card company said this happens all the time. What the scammer/thief will do is make a small charge to see if the card is valid and if it goes through then they do the large charges. It sucks....:mad:

md4958 05-11-2009 07:23 AM

My wife was picking up food at Friendly's a couple weeks ago, and she noticed the cashier was typing on her cell phone while she was looking at my wifes card. WTF!?!?!

She canceled the card before she even pulled out of the parking lot. She cant prove that the girl was stealing her card #, but she couldn't disprove it either.

e-man67 05-11-2009 07:42 AM

It sucks for sure...you would think people that work for a living and know how hard it is to make a buck wouldn't steal......pisses me off to no end. :fl

TripleF 05-11-2009 07:43 AM

Dayum. Unbelievable. We remember when NOBODY had credit cards, and now there's an ad for a credit card company on every televison viewing.

Eliminate your cc's and the problem can just about be eliminated.

DocLogic77 05-11-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 377424)
Just max your credit card out with cigar purchases and there wont be any room left for someone to make unauthorized charges :D

I like how you think. :D

loki 05-11-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 377478)
My wife was picking up food at Friendly's a couple weeks ago, and she noticed the cashier was typing on her cell phone while she was looking at my wifes card. WTF!?!?!

She canceled the card before she even pulled out of the parking lot. She cant prove that the girl was stealing her card #, but she couldn't disprove it either.

tell the manager, that girl needs fired

kaisersozei 05-11-2009 09:27 AM

Out of the blue, SunTrust sent my wife & I replacement debit cards this weekend. Something about a potential security breach involving a large quantity of account numbers. They said to their knowledge so far no one was hit (at least not our accounts, anyway...) but they were just taking some precautionary measures.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or more concerned. :confused: At least they were proactive.

14holestogie 05-11-2009 09:31 AM

My CC company is also pro-active. They even checked out my own purchases overseas when they seemed excessive (must have the same thought process as my wife. :D)

Had a Discover card a couple years back that someone tried to buy a computer with and was caught by the CC company and new cards were sent.

smitdavi 05-11-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 377630)
Out of the blue, SunTrust sent my wife & I replacement debit cards this weekend. Something about a potential security breach involving a large quantity of account numbers. They said to their knowledge so far no one was hit (at least not our accounts, anyway...) but they were just taking some precautionary measures.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or more concerned. :confused: At least they were proactive.

The company I work for recently had a breach that we announced back in February. As a precaution a lot of banks and other card issuers are proactively sending out new cards. Only numbers were compromised, no personal info was taken, but it did happen and we took the appropriate measures to make sure it never happens again. Here is a website that we set up: 2008 Breach Website

Lensjockie 05-11-2009 10:06 AM

My workplace had our personal data compromised.
Email accounts, bank info, personal data, and who knows what else.
37 new internet accounts later, at least as many charges, and a whole lot of time on the phone telling people yes it was my data but not me who did it, and we still are dealing with it.
In short turns out hackers sell the lists to each other and start the cycle over again.

You can always call the credit agencies and but a fraud alert, at least that is free.

Lensjockie

BORIStheBLADE 05-11-2009 10:32 AM

This kind of stuff sucks..:c My CC was compromised at about election time. It was my credit card that sat in my dresser for 3+ months because it was still smoking from the CC purchases I have made.

I don't know if anyone remembers that a online credit card middle man got hacked and they got tons of peoples info.

ucla695 05-11-2009 01:33 PM

Sorry to hear that. It's a good idea to frequently monitor accounts that are used for online purchases. Just in case, I only use a card with a low limit for these.

St. Lou Stu 05-11-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 377424)

Fantastic approach!

Mine was also hit recently, for $579 at nflshop.com.
I actually caught it online and I thought my wife was being thoughtful for my upcoming birthday so I asked what she got me at the NFL shop..... she said 'nothing'....... reality then set back in and I realized that I had been screwed. Twice.

smitdavi 05-11-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu (Post 378005)
Fantastic approach!

I actually caught it online and I thought my wife was being thoughtful for my upcoming birthday so I asked what she got me at the NFL shop..... she said 'nothing'....... reality then set back in and I realized that I had been screwed. Twice.

Ouch, talk about a kick to the junk.

jjirons69 05-11-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu (Post 378005)
Fantastic approach!

No thrice screwed? :rolleyes: You deserved it!

Smokin Gator 05-13-2009 07:22 AM

I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.