Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Basic Coffee Recommendations? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63691)

longknocker 10-15-2013 04:07 AM

Basic Coffee Recommendations?

Good Morning, All!:) I Recently Purchased A Highly Recommended Technivorm Moccamaster & I Can Not Get A Decent Cup Of Coffee! I've Tried Different Brands, Recommended Amounts Of 1-2 Tablespoons Of Coffee Per Ounce Of Filtered Water, Etc. & Nothing Seems To Taste Good. I Ordered Some Uncle Beanz Coffee, Hoping That Will Taste Better. All I Want Is A Smooth, Non-Bitter, Flavorful Cup Of Coffee! :sh I Have My Own Baratza Encore Grinder Which I Grind Up A Week's Worth Of Coffee & Store It In A Airtight "CoffeeVac". Any Recommendations For A Blend Of Coffee I Can Readily Get At The Grocery Store? Thanks!:tu

GreekGodX 10-15-2013 05:20 AM

Re: Basic Coffee Recommendations?

How is the coffee coming out, Greg? Maybe it has nothing to do with the beans and something is wrong with the machine or the dosing.

mosesbotbol 10-15-2013 05:42 AM

You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

Try adding a pinch of salt to ground coffee in the filter before brewing.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.

pektel 10-15-2013 05:45 AM

I actually don't mind dunkin donuts coffee from the supermarket. I used to only drink Folgers out of the drip machine. Now I've found I really like Ethiopian yiracheffe (sp).

Does the coffee you're making just taste like the stuff you've been drinking before? Or is it worse? I agree it could be a dosing issue. Do you own a digital kitchen scale? I can't recall what amount is "proper" for a machine, and I only eyeball it in the French press now.

CigarSquid 10-15-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1890658)
You should grind coffee before brewing, not a week in advance.

There's no real secret to brewing in drip pot. All you can do is adjust the amount of coffee, the grind, or both.

What does that do?

longknocker 10-15-2013 06:42 AM

Thanks For The Replies, Christos, Moses, & Peter. I Tried The Recommended Amount Of 60Gm. Of Coffee / Liter & It Was Way To Strong. When I Use 1/2 That Amount It Tastes Like Muddy Water . I Do Use A Gm. Scale.

replicant_argent 10-15-2013 06:45 AM

What coffees were you using before ordering from uncle beanz?

longknocker 10-15-2013 06:48 AM

Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?

replicant_argent 10-15-2013 07:12 AM

A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.

longknocker 10-15-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1890686)
A quick google search popped a few local roasters in Mobile, Greg. Why limit yourself to grocery store coffee? An extra 30 or 40 cents a pot for truly GREAT locally roasted FRESH coffee is worth it. And it supports your local economy.

Didn't Think Of That. Thanks, Pete! I Usually Use Starbucks Or Eight O'Clock.

Subvet642 10-15-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1890675)
Unfortunately, Since I Go To Work So Early, I Can't Grind Every Morning As I Would Wake Up The Whole House. Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?

I recently tried Chock Full o' Nuts, and I love it; it's become my regular.

stearns 10-15-2013 09:46 AM

I used to do starbucks coffee (beans, rarely actually buy a coffee there), then went to buying some stuff from roasters online. a couple years back I switched to local roasters (not always local to my current location, sometimes when traveling I'd pick up a pound if I knew I was running low at home). now that's about all that I do, never looked back :cf2

dave 10-15-2013 10:05 AM

I drip 2 parts Folgers Columbian and 1 part Folgers Vanilla. Don't laugh until you try it.

shilala 10-15-2013 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 1890671)
What does that do?

It takes the bitter out. Hides the acid somehow.
I keep those little salt packets in my car in case my coffee sucks. I put it in my coffee when I get it at Sheetz all the time. It works great, and it only takes a little bit.

longknocker 10-15-2013 11:21 AM

Thanks, All! Found A Local Roaster, Carpe Diem, Who Roasts Daily. I 'll Pick Some Up After Work, Today! :)

replicant_argent 10-15-2013 03:54 PM

That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes. ;)

longknocker 10-15-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1890837)
That's the spirit! Going from grocery store floor sweepings to craft roasted beans is like going from Mickey D's to Ruths Chris. We expect a full report, including which beans and tasting notes. ;)

:D:tu

GreekGodX 10-15-2013 04:35 PM

Yea the local roaster is a great idea. I would go down to 55grams try that. Then down to 50grams. That little trial and error would probably do the trick.

mosesbotbol 10-15-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 1890671)
What does that do?

Takes off the bitterness. Just a pinch. Give it a try!

mosesbotbol 10-15-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1890675)
Any Preferences Between Eight O'Clock, Folger's, Etc. ?

Bokar Blend is really good. Costco is great too, they single origin coffee are a steal.

You'll get to the point of "eye balling" soon. Once you see how much coffee is needed, you can score the filter holder or just remember. No need to weight and measure.

longknocker 10-16-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1890837)

Received My Unclebeanz Shipment Yesterday, "Beso Espresso". Ground The Coffee Last Nite On My Baratza Encore Grinder Setting "19". This Morning I Added 3.5 Level Scoops Or 1 Tablespoon/6Oz. Filtered Water. Nice, Smooth, Sweet, Cocoa Flavor.:tu I Still Need A Little More Flavor, So I May Go Up To 4-5 Scoops/ Liter. Picked Up Some Freshly Roasted Coffee From My Local Roaster, Yesterday, Too!:D

http://www.springhillcoffeeroasters.com

kydsid 10-16-2013 05:21 AM

Greg another thing I noticed with my, automated pour over machine (I don't say drip machine because the technivorum and a few others are so far ahead of cheap drip machines) is that water quality matters. I filter all my water prior to use in mine, or use bottled water. There is a difference in taste imo. And even if there isn't it's better for the life of the machine to use good water to prevent scale or other issues.

Sawyer 10-16-2013 08:30 AM

My favorite grocery store coffee is Eight O' Clock. It is nothing special but it does the trick for a backup.

Blak Smyth 10-16-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1890966)
water quality matters.

This is a really good point, I use bottled water for my coffee.

mosesbotbol 10-16-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1890983)
This is a really good point, I use bottled water for my coffee.

Don't use distilled water. Some mineral content is need for flavor so says my co-worker who's super into coffee. Minerals help "pull" some of the coffee material that adds to flavor.

We are lucky in Boston that our tap water is very good and no need to filter or use bottled water

longknocker 10-16-2013 12:48 PM

I Always Use Filtered Water From My GE Filtered Ice/Water Dispenser From My Fridge. I Tried Actually "Weighing" My Coffee This Afternoon & Found Out 60Gm. Of The Particular Coffee I Was Using Was Only 4 Level Coffee Scoops!!!:confused: Guess I Need To Weigh Each Time For Awhile. Coffee Was Much Smoother & Richer.:tu Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends; Keep It Coming!:D

pektel 10-16-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1890989)
Don't use distilled water. Some mineral content is need for flavor so says my co-worker who's super into coffee. Minerals help "pull" some of the coffee material that adds to flavor.

We are lucky in Boston that our tap water is very good and no need to filter or use bottled water

That's interesting. My tap water is no where near acceptable for coffee, so I use the RO faucet on the sink. I use that water for everything. But I don't think RO water has minerals in it.

Blak Smyth 10-16-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1890989)

No I use bottled (Filtered water)

GreekGodX 10-16-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1891040)
I Always Use Filtered Water From My GE Filtered Ice/Water Dispenser From My Fridge. I Tried Actually "Weighing" My Coffee This Afternoon & Found Out 60Gm. Of The Particular Coffee I Was Using Was Only 4 Level Coffee Scoops!!!:confused: Guess I Need To Weigh Each Time For Awhile. Coffee Was Much Smoother & Richer.:tu Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends; Keep It Coming!:D

I found out a long time ago measuring cups are not very accurate. I always go by weight.

kydsid 10-16-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 1891052)
That's interesting. My tap water is no where near acceptable for coffee, so I use the RO faucet on the sink. I use that water for everything. But I don't think RO water has minerals in it.

RO water has minerals. Much much less than other sources but more than distilled and enough for coffee. This was at least the line we used along with some data when I sold culligan ro systems. :tu

replicant_argent 10-16-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 1891052)

RO water does not.

Having been a "water guy" (selling RO, iron treatment and softeners) and having some training and certs in it, I remember at least a little bit ;)
People who will try to tell you "RO is bad for you" probably don't have a smidgen of actual knowledge or training, but may have read some creative intrawebz sites.

Filtered water is good. It will take out off flavors, some chemicals, turbidity, improving taste and aesthetics. Change those filters out, and sanitize the system if possible, at regular intervals if allowed by design of the equipment.

I use RO for all consumables, ice to cooking to coffee. I have been told my coffee doesn't suck, to paraphrase more than a compliment or two fired my way.

replicant_argent 10-16-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1891083)
RO water has minerals. Much much less than other sources but more than distilled and enough for coffee. This was at least the line we used along with some data when I sold culligan ro systems. :tu

RO systems, in optimal conditions, are fed soft water, which, by definition, removes calcium carbonate, which is the hardness, or "minerals" most commonly referred to in water treatment jargon. Depending of the efficiency of the actual RO unit, the TDS levels are very very low, and comparable enough to distilled to make no essential difference.

longknocker 10-16-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1891067)
I found out a long time ago measuring cups are not very accurate. I always go by weight.

:tu Found Out The SCAA Coffee Guidelines Were 9-11Gm. Coffee/6Oz.Filtered Water. That Would Come Out To 63-77 Gm. For My Technivorm. "Sweet Marias" Site Recommended 68 Gm.

kydsid 10-16-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1891112)
RO systems, in optimal conditions, are fed soft water, which, by definition, removes calcium carbonate, which is the hardness, or "minerals" most commonly referred to in water treatment jargon. Depending of the efficiency of the actual RO unit, the TDS levels are very very low, and comparable enough to distilled to make no essential difference.

That's what I said, just less technical. :p

mosesbotbol 10-17-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1891067)

How did making a pot of drip coffee get so involved?

kydsid 10-17-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1891225)

Right around the time you could spend $300 on a 'drip' machine like the technivorum that Greg bought.

mosesbotbol 10-17-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1891239)
Right around the time you could spend $300 on a 'drip' machine like the technivorum that Greg bought.

I have a decent espresso setup for over a decade and never had to jump through so many hoops... Maybe he is over thinking it?

replicant_argent 10-17-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1891264)
I have a decent espresso setup for over a decade and never had to jump through so many hoops... Maybe he is over thinking it?

Like guys "over think" their cigars? ;)

pektel 10-17-2013 12:10 PM

If I drank a lot of coffee, I'd probably spend the cash on a good machine. But since I only drink a cup or two at a time, the French press works great.

The only thing I've spent over $100 on is a breville smart grinder. I don't grind until the water gets to temp. That's about as technical as I get with my coffee.

I try to keep the KISS principle at the forefront of daily routine activities. But it did take effort/trial and error before figuring out the most efficient way to do things. I've even gone so far as to figuring out the quickest-moving traffic lane to drive in through different parts of town to spend the least amount of time driving.

Now that I think about it, efficiency ain't so simple after all...

longknocker 10-17-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1891239)

"True"!;) "68" Gm. Seemed A Little Strong This Morning With The Uncle Beanz. Think I'll Try The Low End @ 63 Gm.:tu

longknocker 10-18-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1890843)
Yea the local roaster is a great idea. I would go down to 55grams try that. Then down to 50grams. That little trial and error would probably do the trick.

BlackBear Coffee Micro Roastery Recommends 53.2 Gm/40Oz. Think I'll Try That. 63Gm. Is Still A Little Strong. Thanks, Christos!:tu
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83

Ashcan Bill 10-18-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1891225)

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1891265)
Like guys "over think" their cigars? ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty much mystified. I've used a simple Bunn drip maker for well over thirty years now. I'm on my third one now. My Solis grinder is somewhere between ten and fifteen years old. Whenever I try a new brand of beans, I usually manage to figure out how much I need in a pot after a few tries. Don't own a coffee measuring device, I eyeball it.

Just never found it to be all that complicated. ;)

Right now I'm drinking a cup made from San Francisco Bay French Roast. Strong, rich, no bitterness. Satisfies my simple tastes.

longknocker 02-06-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1891448)
BlackBear Coffee Micro Roastery Recommends 53.2 Gm/40Oz. Think I'll Try That. 63Gm. Is Still A Little Strong. Thanks, Christos!:tu
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/resources/83

I Know This Sounds A Little Weak To The Coffee Experts, But It Suits My Tastes.:D 1 Tablespoon Coffee/6OZ. H20= 37Gm. Coffee For My Technivorm Model. Works Great! Thanks, Again, For All The Great Advice, My Friends!:D:tu

Stevez 02-08-2014 07:01 AM

Greg, I've read this thread over and over because I feel I am in the exact place you were when you started. I've used the Technivorm for about 2 months and tried different grind levels, different coffees like Starbucks, Eight O'clock, Heine Brothers and more. I don't have any way of measuring grams, but sounds like I need to try and be more precise. I have eyeballed it only, more, less, different grind levels and none seem "rich" enough. Kind of bland; not bitter, just bland. What kind of a scale do you use to measure grams? Thanks. Steve

Garbandz 02-08-2014 08:42 AM

If I could not make a good cup of coffee with it in two months,I would throw it out.
Sounds like the water is either not hot enough or it is running past the coffee too fast to extract any flavor.
I have an espresso machine,moca pot,french press, and a drip machine,and have no trouble with any of them.
The espresso took a few trials to dial in,a little advice from a pro and I was good to go......

cigarmonkel 02-08-2014 09:51 AM

I just tried the salt thing and my god... it actually works. I've also heard of putting grass fed butter with your ground coffee. My roommate said he tried it over christmas and it was amazing. He said it was like a concentrated caffeine high or compared it to taking a small dose of a "study buddy" without feeling all hopped up. Not sure if anyone else has heard of this and I'm not sure if normal butter will work or not.

Gogi73 02-17-2014 06:23 AM

cigarmonkel I tried it actually with grass fed butter and with coconut oil (1.tsp for a cup) and it is great. You can add cream/milk if you like.
Some call it bulletproof coffee, I guess it makes you immortal :D

longknocker 10-16-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevez (Post 1932495)
Greg, I've read this thread over and over because I feel I am in the exact place you were when you started. I've used the Technivorm for about 2 months and tried different grind levels, different coffees like Starbucks, Eight O'clock, Heine Brothers and more. I don't have any way of measuring grams, but sounds like I need to try and be more precise. I have eyeballed it only, more, less, different grind levels and none seem "rich" enough. Kind of bland; not bitter, just bland. What kind of a scale do you use to measure grams? Thanks. Steve

"37 Grams" With A Full Pot (40 Ounces) Measured On A Oxo Kitchen Scale:http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stai...+scale+digital

Works Great Every Morning!:tu

Stevez 10-16-2014 06:17 AM

Thanks Greg; I'll try that. My coffee isn't bad, but it isn't heads and shoulders above a standard drip machine. But, I love to tweak it and will try the measure.

cigarmarine 10-16-2014 09:46 AM

I would like to start grinding and brewing my on coffe. I like a strong cup, any suggestions on grinder and brewer