Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Star Trek: TOS (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18652)

Starscream 07-18-2009 07:26 PM

Star Trek: TOS

For anyone who's interested, youtube has the entire original Star Trek series available for free. Each episode has three commercials which are no longer than thirty seconds; a small price to pay in order to watch free episodes.

You can see them by clicking on the link below:
http://www.youtube.com/show?p=Zk2dX5DnW_c

Starscream 07-18-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Star Trek: TOS

For those of you who have never seen TOS or prefer TNG or any other Star Trek series, I would urge you to check out the episodes "City on the Edge of Forever" and "Mirror Mirror". These are two of the finest that TOS has to offer IMHO.:2

Whee 07-18-2009 10:58 PM

Space Seed...must see for the origination of your CUT line.:r

Starscream 07-18-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoishoosier (Post 470787)
Space Seed...must see for the origination of your CUT line.:r

True. Khan's origin. But I mentioned the two in particular b/c they are classic drama. Those who say that Shatner can't act need to see both of those episodes.

Whee 07-18-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 470788)
True. Khan's origin. But I mentioned the two in particular b/c they are classic drama. Those who say that Shatner can't act need to see both of those episodes.

Very true.:tu

Starscream 07-20-2009 04:53 PM

I was watching an episode on cable last night and noticed that they reshot all the images of the Enterprise. Instead of the old models, they have new, computerized versions of the ships. Looks like a cheap ILM job. Anybody have any info on this?

The Poet 07-21-2009 01:58 PM

No info on the "remix", Andy. But I am surprised no one's mentioned "The Menagerie", "The Trouble With Tribbles", or "I, Mudd" episodes.

Starscream 07-21-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 473985)
No info on the "remix", Andy. But I am surprised no one's mentioned "The Menagerie", "The Trouble With Tribbles", or "I, Mudd" episodes.

Trouble with Tribbles was fun for us Trekkies (excuse me: Trekkers;s), but I was placing emphasis on those two episodes for the good acting job by Shatner. I prefer to watch "The Cage" over "The Menagerie", but the added trial in The Menagerie was a great way to put "The Cage" into the series.

EDIT: "The Cage" was the title of the original pilot episode which was featured in the episode "The Menagerie", for those who didn't know what I was talking about.

blugill 07-21-2009 06:51 PM

Balance of Terror
The Empath
City on the edge of forever

ActionAndy 07-21-2009 06:55 PM

Should I just start at the beginning?

Starscream 07-22-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 474356)

With this series, it doesn't really matter. You can pick up anywhere on Star Trek. I would steer clear of the third season if you're just starting out. The third season had some "different" stories, some not so good.

The Poet 09-08-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 474356)

And the beginning began 55 years ago today - well, actually tonight at 8:30 PM on NBC.

SmokeyJoe 09-08-2021 05:54 PM

WOW! Quite the resurrection of an old thread!
Before your response, Starscream last posted 12 years ago. :llp
Looks like ActionAndy hasn't signed in since 2013. Hopefully by now, he has seen the whole series!
Anyway, one of my favorites has always been "Court Martial." Thought it was one of Shatner's best. Hope all is well with you! :tu
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2222941)
And the beginning began 55 years ago today - well, actually tonight at 8:30 PM on NBC.

The Poet 09-08-2021 07:49 PM

Hey, Joe! It's been a minute. Did you notice my "relatively" new non-Joisey address?

SmokeyJoe 09-08-2021 08:05 PM

I did notice! Welcome to the Tarheel state. Might have to work up a herf at some point. I have been MIA for a while. Still smoking cigars, but have had little time for forums. I have missed it! Especially CA. Lots of missing folks, it seems. Noticed that the number of inmates and committed inmates was DOWN from 2018. Was there a culling of the list? If so, glad I was still included here. Work stress, family issues, deaths of friends, grandkids, health issues, blah blah blah. Point is, glad to be poking my nose back in. Hope you are doing well and enjoying the mountains. That is a pretty part of North Carolina, for sure. Blessings on you and yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2222951)
Hey, Joe! It's been a minute. Did you notice my "relatively" new non-Joisey address?

srduggins 09-11-2021 06:26 AM

Recently rewatched the whole series. I was surprised there were a few I hadn't seen. Some strange episodes that weren't rerun very often. "Friday's Child" - Star Fleet officer killing a Klingon unprovoked? McCoy slaps a woman and (possibly?) fathered a child from the chief's wife??? What??? It's all a bit confusing.

SmokeyJoe 09-11-2021 03:14 PM

It was the 1960's and TV was still in its infancy. Still, most of their stories hold up pretty well and are entertaining. :ss

Quote:

Originally Posted by srduggins (Post 2223064)
Recently rewatched the whole series. I was surprised there were a few I hadn't seen. Some strange episodes that weren't rerun very often. "Friday's Child" - Star Fleet officer killing a Klingon unprovoked? McCoy slaps a woman and (possibly?) fathered a child from the chief's wife??? What??? It's all a bit confusing.