Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Drying tobacco (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49250)

Jasonw560 09-15-2011 12:16 PM

Drying tobacco

Would one recommend drying wet tobacco (lots of PG) in the oven or not?

Set it at about 150-200, put it on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and check it peridically?

pektel 09-15-2011 12:21 PM

Re: Drying tobacco

I personally would not. I would leave the tin open, and maybe put it in a tupperware container with the lid on (not sealed) with a small container of Damp Rid.

I am by no means an expert. Just brainstorming. I wouldn't try it without someone saying it's okay.

Zanaspus 09-15-2011 12:38 PM

By heating it, you are fundamentally changing the tobacco. It may be better, it may be worse. +1 for leaving the top off or putting out a bowl's worth some time before you plan to smoke. Lots of folks recommend a lamp for this purpose, but if it's exceptionally wet, and you're exceptionally impatient, your refrigerator has the lowest RH in your house.

Jasonw560 09-15-2011 12:42 PM

Thanks. Seen some boards saying yes, and some no. The problem with leaving it out is that my wife might start likng the smell.

hotreds 09-15-2011 12:53 PM

no

Sherlockholms 09-15-2011 10:46 PM

I would find a nice place to lay it out To dry it. I Dry my amount that I use for each day, so everyday I set some in a tin with the lid cracked next to my computer fan for a few hours.

Pat1075 11-22-2011 12:08 AM

just put a bowls worth on top of some newspaper for about 15-20 min. and you should be ready to go. Newspaper is such crappy paper it will suck the moisture right out.

CoreyD 11-22-2011 02:40 AM

I am under the rule of thumb that only time u add heat to baccy is when your lighting it, as for container in lid idea you risk drying out whole batch. I am with the few bowl sit out a few minutes method but not on paper , on a tin or something the baccy isn't going to absorb taste wise as well.

Commander Quan 11-22-2011 04:24 AM

Depending on just how much PG in on the tobacco, it may take considerable time to dry it out enough. I'd spread it all out and check back on it often. Sometimes the tobacco has so much stuff on it it'll never dry.

nutcracker 10-15-2014 03:41 PM

I've found the bowl style coffee filters work great - give it a couple of hours and you're good to go

RevSmoke 10-15-2014 08:57 PM

I have "stoved" tobacco in a sealed container, it is a way to change the character of the tobacco.

Do not however dry tobacco by using a stove.

As others have said, if you want to dry it all out, just lay it out (I like to put it on a brown paper bag) and let it dry, checking it often.

Otherwise, I dry out what I need for a pipe, maybe an hour ahead of time.