Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

King James 05-22-2009 04:29 PM

Re: What are you reading?

The 5 people you meet in heaven. A short one, but pretty good so far. Will prolly finish in next sitting.

markem 05-22-2009 05:58 PM

The Universal History of Numbers
The World's First Number Systems
by Georges Ifrah

I'm on the section about Elamite and Sumerian counting systems and the invention of the balance sheet

Riveting!! ;) Wonder how it will all end :r

SmokinApe 05-22-2009 06:49 PM

Penthouse...

Cigargal 05-23-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 394024)
The Universal History of Numbers
The World's First Number Systems
by Georges Ifrah

I'm on the section about Elamite and Sumerian counting systems and the invention of the balance sheet

Riveting!! ;) Wonder how it will all end :r

I think it goes on til infinity...

I'm reading the new one by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child- Cemetery Dance. Very good-has zombies in NYC!

Waynegro1 05-23-2009 09:46 PM

"Gates Of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. A great book about the battle of Thermopylae.

stevefrench 05-23-2009 11:11 PM

John Wayne: American by Randy Roberts and James S. Olson
:cb

Ragin Cajun 05-24-2009 12:22 AM

Curently sitting at work reading the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) for the U.S. Marine Corps Force Recon Teams; in hopes of working with them in the near future.

DPD6030 05-24-2009 05:00 AM

Outdoor Life and Field & Stream magazines

replicant_argent 05-29-2009 06:03 AM

About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior.
Autobiography of Colonel David Hackworth.

TXRebel 05-29-2009 07:46 AM

Just started Foreign Enemies And Traitors by Matthew Bracken, third in a series.

pit bull 05-29-2009 07:53 AM

Finished Battleground and know working on Line of Fire

Cigargal 05-29-2009 07:59 AM

Finished Cemetery Dance which was great! Read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was a nice little story and today I start Scarecrow at the Feast. Also listening to The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo on audio-very interesting book.

ade06 05-29-2009 08:42 AM

The Private Equity Primer (The Best of the Debevoise & Plimpton Private Equity Report)

MedicCook 06-02-2009 02:29 PM

Duma Key by Stephen King.

Starscream 06-02-2009 03:42 PM

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

teotides 06-02-2009 09:38 PM

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

Quite funny I might add:D

White97Jimmy 06-02-2009 10:07 PM

Start Where You Are by Chris Gardner

qwerty1500 06-02-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 407562)
Duma Key by Stephen King.

This is the only King book that I've read in the last few years. Let us know how you like it.

Just finishing up "Before the Storm" about Goldwater's 1964 campaign. I'm always amazed at how history seems to repeat itself. So many themes from that campaign sound like issues we still hear today.

I'm about ready to start "Churchill's Triumph" by Michael Dobbs. I've never read any of his historical fiction. But, I've always been interested in the Yalta Conference at the end of WWII. That is the centerpiece of this book from Churchill's perspective. Look like a fun read.

Fumes 06-03-2009 06:52 PM

The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon. It's not a beach book exactly, but I'm loving it for lines like, "Belief and delusion are incestuous siblings."

mikeyj23 06-03-2009 08:36 PM

A History of the American People
Posted via Mobile Device

pmwz 06-06-2009 02:04 PM

finished the millenium triology by Stieg Larsson. best novels that i read in the last 2 years.
looking for some good non fiction recommendation.

The Poet 06-06-2009 02:17 PM

I started Finnegan's Wake a while back - 1973, I think - and hope to finish soon.

Cigargal 06-07-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmwz (Post 412429)
finished the millenium triology by Stieg Larsson. best novels that i read in the last 2 years.
looking for some good non fiction recommendation.

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo-excellent read. The second book in the trilogy isn't released here until July-you are lucky in Europe:tu

Cigargal 06-07-2009 09:55 AM

Finished reading Skeletons at the Feast-very thought provoking tale about the final days of Germany in the wake of the Russian army. Started Olive Kitteridge-the latest Pulitzer prize winner.

lightning9191 06-07-2009 01:09 PM

Finished "Handbook of Hatches"....it's a fly-fishing book and started "Frankenstein"

Rabidsquirrel 06-07-2009 02:30 PM

Reading Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. Now I need to wait until he publishes the next two. :(

Listening to The Eye of the World at the gym.

Starscream 06-08-2009 07:44 AM

Star Trek: The Starless World

thetpi825 06-08-2009 07:56 AM

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. One of the best books on success and how it is attained.

Fumes 06-08-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 412441)
I started Finnegan's Wake a while back - 1973, I think - and hope to finish soon.

Joyce said something about how the reader should spend at least as much time reading this book as he did in writing it. That would be 17 years, so it looks like you've satisfied his requirement. :D

Giant & 49er Fan 06-08-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetpi825 (Post 414238)
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. One of the best books on success and how it is attained.

Reading the same book. interesting read and going to pick up The Tipping Point as well.

jquirit 06-08-2009 07:08 PM

"The Living Dead", a zombie short story anthology edited by John Joseph Adams.

Quite good book, though the stories are not your typical horror zombie stories so some people (*cough*Dooge*cough*) looking for gore might be a tad bit disappointed. But it does have stories that take a different twist on the zombie mythology. My favorite out of all the short stories is one called "This Year's Class Picture" by Dan Simmons.

massphatness 06-08-2009 07:23 PM

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

Took it on vacation and couldn't put it down.
Posted via Mobile Device

GTsetGO 06-08-2009 07:25 PM

I, Jedi

I am a star wars dork and tend to read those types of books. :D

Azpostal 06-09-2009 02:40 AM

Fool by Christopher Moore.

Starscream 06-10-2009 08:39 AM

Star Trek: The New Voyages

VTDragon 06-10-2009 10:04 AM

Second Wave: Acorna's Children by Anne Mccaffery and Elizabeth A Scarborough

I enjoyed Mccaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series years ago, so I thought I would give this series a try. This is about the 9th book in the series with one more to go, (so far). Overall the series has been mildly interesting, but unexceptional. Though not labeled as such, it should probably be relagated to the young adults section as these are quite unchallenging reading. I have continued going through the series only because my local library had them all, they're easy to read while also doing something else, (like listening to the Sox game) and I am curious to see how it all comes out in the end.

Cigargal 06-18-2009 07:29 PM

Finished Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson. Great read-about Marconi and the invention of the wireless radio interspersed with a good old Victorian murder story. This is the same guy who wrote Devil in the White City about the Chicago Worlds Fair. Finished the Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin-1830 Istanbul mystery-good book...now what to read????

qwerty1500 06-18-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 430483)
Finished Thunderstruck, by Erik Larson. Great read-about Marconi and the invention of the wireless radio interspersed with a good old Victorian murder story. This is the same guy who wrote Devil in the White City about the Chicago Worlds Fair. Finished the Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin-1830 Istanbul mystery-good book...now what to read????

Enjoyed "Devil in the White City." Was "Thunderstruck" anywhere nears as good?

Waynegro1 06-18-2009 10:19 PM

"Mark Twain a Life" by Ron Powers. Very good so far. :tu

MedicCook 06-18-2009 10:24 PM

Bound By Honor: A Mafioso's Story
By: Bill Bonanno

This is the family that the movie the Godfather used as a template.

Cigargal 06-18-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty1500 (Post 430536)
Enjoyed "Devil in the White City." Was "Thunderstruck" anywhere nears as good?

I thought so-I really like his stuff. I ordered his book about the 1900 Galveston Flood-one of his older works.

GreekGodX 06-19-2009 04:10 AM

I'm reading Artie Lange's autobiography Too Fat to Fish. Going to the library today going to checkout something.. Maybe some more James Patterson or go with something I've never tried before.

BUCASmoker 06-19-2009 04:29 AM

Traffic: Why we drive the way we do and what it says about us.

Really good book. I recommend it.

Aldebaran 06-19-2009 04:38 AM

Attempting to read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson it is a bit tiresome but I hear the first hundred or so pages are a bit hard to get through.

Last book I read was On Killing

TheTraveler 06-19-2009 05:09 AM

How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman. (yep, I'm a chess geek)

GreekGodX 06-19-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTraveler (Post 430801)
How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman. (yep, I'm a chess geek)

I got the Idiot's guide to chess. I play occassionally but want to become a better player. Is that book for more of an advanced player?

TheTraveler 06-19-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 430912)
I got the Idiot's guide to chess. I play occassionally but want to become a better player. Is that book for more of an advanced player?

The book isn't designed for absolute beginners but you don't have to be very advanced to get good info from it. I would consider myself an enthusiastic, barely past beginner level player (even though I've been playing for a while) and I've really enjoyed this book. I do recommend it because when you gain a little experience then re-read the book you'll pick up things you didn't understand the first time through. I can't wait till I read it for the third time. :) He does a good job of thoroughly explaining all the maxims that are touted but rarely well-explained - what to do with a strong center, Bishop vs Knight, etc.

Another good read that is closely related is The Amateur's Mind (also by Silman). It exposes common myths and misconceptions held by beginners through masters.

The best part of both of these books is that there is a lot of explanation (in easy to read prose) between the diagrams of the positions. Most chess books give a diagram and a long dry list of moves and cryptic notations and that doesn't always make for good reading. ;)

ActionAndy 06-19-2009 08:09 AM

Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. He's pretty damn good.

Steve 06-19-2009 11:05 AM

The Essential Wilderness Navigator.

I have been approched to teach a couple of Map & Compass/Wilderness Navigation classes, so I am researching material for my power point presentations. Novel concept for me, get paid for doing something I actually enjoy :D

Cigargal 06-19-2009 05:34 PM

Started The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir. We are watching The Tudors right now so I am on an english history kick. Also got her book on the court of Henry VIII