Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoke Stains? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55652)

jakesmokes 05-11-2012 01:07 PM

Smoke Stains?

Hi.. I did a search on this on the forms and couldn't find anything..

Just had my teeth cleaned yesterday and my hygienist complained loudly about the stains on the backs of my teeth. Are there any tricks to mitigating this issue? I just got an electric toothbrush and will brush more often after smoking, though its not always possible.

Any tips appreciated :-)

David

markem 05-11-2012 01:12 PM

Re: Smoke Stains?

Dry smoke your cigar. By that, I mean don't get it wet with your lips. My hygienist can't tell that I smoke by my teeth as I've never had stains. My cigars don't get wet when I smoke. I bring them to the edge of my lips, not between.

boonedoggle 05-11-2012 01:12 PM

Do what I do. Tell your hygienist to shut his or her mouth and clean my teeth. ;)

jakesmokes 05-11-2012 01:14 PM

That's fascinating about dry smoking the cigar. I wonder why that makes a difference? Does the smoke mix with the saliva and lay on your teeth I wonder? I will give it a try.

Blak Smyth 05-11-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedoggle (Post 1635794)
Do what I do. Tell your hygienist to shut his or her mouth and clean my teeth. ;)

:r:r

My dentist didn't say anything about it.

markem 05-11-2012 01:17 PM

It's more about keeping the moisture out of the end of the cigar. Some people even clamp it between the teeth which means that any runoff will naturally hit the teeth.

Ogre 05-11-2012 01:27 PM

Brush after smoking, or chew gum to remove it.

CRIMPS 05-11-2012 01:29 PM

Stop drinking Tea and coffee. Of the three, Tea is much more staining than Cigars.

Or don't.

Bill86 05-11-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Yep :tu

I hate dentists, they always mouth off. What part of I pay you to clean my teeth in silence don't they understand?

I usually smoke a cigar right before I go in.

Jefft72 05-11-2012 01:40 PM

Slight bit off topic, but I find it amusing when someone would make a point to brush their teeth before going to the dentist. As I figure it that's what I am going there for. They don't charge more for removing that lunch you just ate.

cobra03 05-11-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefft72 (Post 1635827)
Slight bit off topic, but I find it amusing when someone would make a point to brush their teeth before going to the dentist. As I figure it that's what I am going there for. They don't charge more for removing that lunch you just ate.

Thats funny you mention that, I Just had that exact conversation with my wife last night.

maninblack 05-11-2012 02:33 PM

Tell em to piss off and do their job. Works for me.

TJtorpedo 05-11-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 1635865)
Tell em to piss off and do their job. Works for me.

:r Same here. Who's paying who to do a job here? If it's purely cosmetic and it doesn't bother you, I say smoke even more cigars to tick them off more the next time!

Partially Deaf 05-12-2012 11:45 AM

Get a Phillips SoniCare toothbrush. I have been using them for 7 years and I haven't had a cavity since. They are fantastic.

shilala 05-12-2012 12:20 PM

I chew snuff constantly and it stains my teeth. I use Baking Soda toothpaste and it does the trick. I've tried whitening strips and the toothpaste that goes with it, but my teeth are super-sensitive and it hurts like hell.
If it was just staining the back of my teeth, I can't imagine I'd worry about it at all.

My ex used to be a dental assistant and she did some sort of process where they dam up your gums, smear stuff on your teeth, and bombard your teeth with UV light. It turns them super white. No clue how much it costs, I just wanted to let you know that process is out there if you so desire. I think you only need to do it once every 3-5 years depending on how big a hog you are. I'd have to do it every year, I'm guessing. :D

Zanaspus 05-14-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Exactly. There are better places to get a lecture than a dentist office.

irratebass 05-14-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1635793)
Dry smoke your cigar. By that, I mean don't get it wet with your lips. My hygienist can't tell that I smoke by my teeth as I've never had stains. My cigars don't get wet when I smoke. I bring them to the edge of my lips, not between.

So, it's kinda like your kissing your cigar?

replicant_argent 05-14-2012 11:43 AM

I have some respect for my dental professionals taking care of my oral health. I brush and floss my teeth before I go so they don't have to put up with the effects of whatever stinky meal I have just eaten. It is the respectful thing to do.

T.G 05-14-2012 11:49 AM

Brush your teeth with Comet and rinse with Clorox.

replicant_argent 05-14-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1637261)
Brush your teeth with Comet and rinse with Clorox.

You forgot "Floss with barbed wire."