Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Smoking and blood thinners (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51251)

ApexAZ 11-23-2011 03:47 PM

Smoking and blood thinners

Anyone on blood thinners (coumadin) and still smoke? I just learned I have a blood clot in my leg.

Wondering if smoking will increase my risk and if I should stop until the clot is resolved. It seems like cig smokers are at increased risk for blood clots, but I'm wondering if it will have an adverse effect on the medication I need to take to dissolve it.

kelmac07 11-23-2011 04:00 PM

Re: Smoking and blood thinners

Been on a plavix and aspirin regiment for over three years and my cardiologist said a cigar or two a day wouldn't hurt a thing. :D

ApexAZ 11-24-2011 12:47 PM

That's what I'm hoping my doctor will say as well.

Mugen910 11-24-2011 02:40 PM

is a cigar worth risking your leg over?

mkarnold1 11-24-2011 05:55 PM

The only thing I'm aware of that affects coumadin is vitamin K. As long as you keep your intake level of dark leafy greens, such as spinach or kale, at a normal level you should be fine. And the leg is not the risk, what's at risk is dislodging the clot from it's present location and having it find it's way to the lungs where it's known as a pulmonary embolism.

ApexAZ 11-24-2011 07:30 PM

Right. PE doesn't sound fun. I'll ask the doc when I see him next. I was curious of others have had a similar experience.

longknocker 04-28-2012 03:58 AM

No Matter How You Look At It, Smoking In Any Form (Cigars Or Cigarettes) Causes "Vasoconstriction". The Blood Vessels Get Smaller In Diameter & Circulation Decreases. Whether One Or Two Cigars A Day Will Hurt You Or Not Is Hard To Say. Good Luck, Brother, & Stay Healthy!:tu

taltos 05-14-2012 07:03 AM

I have to agree with longknocker on the potential effects of continued smoking. In November of 2010 I had an arterial bypass in my right leg. The incision was from above the groin to my ankle. When I got out of the hospital, I noticed that if I had even 1 cigar, the next day I would notice additional swelling in both legs and elevated blood pressure even though I am on a cocktail of 2 blood pressure meds (metoprolol and lasix). I was on coumadin and aspirin but got switched to plavix and aspirin since I had 3 strokes after the surgery. It is not worth it to me to risk my health and both legs by doing much smoking. In the past year I had 4 cigars. Good luck in your treatment.

Starscream 05-14-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1637053)
I have to agree with longknocker on the potential effects of continued smoking. In November of 2010 I had an arterial bypass in my right leg. The incision was from above the groin to my ankle. When I got out of the hospital, I noticed that if I had even 1 cigar, the next day I would notice additional swelling in both legs and elevated blood pressure even though I am on a cocktail of 2 blood pressure meds (metoprolol and lasix). I was on coumadin and aspirin but got switched to plavix and aspirin since I had 3 strokes after the surgery. It is not worth it to me to risk my health and both legs by doing much smoking. In the past year I had 4 cigars. Good luck in your treatment.

Now I know I'm not the only one who still hangs out here but doesn't smoke much anymore. Good to know I'm not alone. I wish it was under different circumstances for you though, Paul.

shilala 05-14-2012 08:19 AM

I'd err on the side of caution, my brother. Don't take any chances with your health, a cigar is certainly not worth the risk if there's any at all.

Scottw 05-14-2012 07:26 PM

Been on plavix since my heart attack in March, I only smoke a cigar a week or so and have no problems. I worry more about cutting myself shaving these days though.

Mtesch 03-31-2017 12:55 PM

FYI* Vitamin K EFFECTS THE levels in the blood. There is Vitamin K found in smokeless tobacco... with no evidence showing when the tobacco is burned it eliminates the Vitamin K. So.... when you think about smoking just know you are inhaling Vitamin K, and YES this will absolutely effect the blood thinners ability to work properly or get a normal read on the blood tests. Just don't do it for real if you need help quitting think about what you want written in your obituary. If you are sick enough to need blood thinners don't play chicken with the reaper.

pnoon 03-31-2017 01:21 PM

Thanks for your expert opinion and bumping a 5 year old thread. :rolleyes:

icehog3 04-01-2017 10:26 AM

I'm more likely to play hopscotch with the reaper, but hey, that's me.

For my obituary, please put : "I knew I should not have played hopscotch with the reaper".