Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Greycliff Chateau Grand Cru (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30969)

mosesbotbol 04-13-2010 03:46 PM

Greycliff Chateau Grand Cru

Received this as a gift and thought I’d give an NC a go. Always been curious about Greycliff; they’re have a superlative wine cellar and quite a cigar rolling floor. Cigar is about a Churchill size. No idea what it is called?

The cigar has a gorgeous dark brown oily wrapper the very fine veins. It has a perfect triple cap, with an oily feel and some plume; very impressive looking and feeling. The smell is barnyard and the first initial puffs are of chocolate with a pleasant aftertaste. It is medium-full strength with a spicy core that leaves a touch of fresh olive oil notes on the tongue.

The cigar really lets out a tremendous volume of cigar without every feeling under filled. Habanos should take notice. Are they bunched differently than Habanos?

Past the first third, the spiciness really picks up. I think I should slow down a little on it. The spice was due to excessive heat which subsided into a real rich velvety bouquet once I slowed down.

This is some cigar! Bravo. For me, I know it’s not a Cuban cigar. Lacks the twang and familiarity I am use to. Not that it is bad, just different. Like your woman wearing a wig in bed; different & a change of pace, yet just as nice and pleasing.

Scottw 04-13-2010 04:02 PM

Re: Greycliff Chateau Grand Cru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 827119)
Received this as a gift and thought I’d give an NC a go. Always been curious about Greycliff; they’re have a superlative wine cellar and quite a cigar rolling floor. Cigar is about a Churchill size. No idea what it is called?

The cigar has a gorgeous dark brown oily wrapper the very fine veins. It has a perfect triple cap, with an oily feel and some plume; very impressive looking and feeling. The smell is barnyard and the first initial puffs are of chocolate with a pleasant aftertaste. It is medium-full strength with a spicy core that leaves a touch of fresh olive oil notes on the tongue.

The cigar really lets out a tremendous volume of cigar without every feeling under filled. Habanos should take notice. Are they bunched differently than Habanos?

Past the first third, the spiciness really picks up. I think I should slow down a little on it. The spice was due to excessive heat which subsided into a real rich velvety bouquet once I slowed down.

This is some cigar! Bravo. For me, I know it’s not a Cuban cigar. Lacks the twang and familiarity I am use to. Not that it is bad, just different. Like your woman wearing a wig in bed; different & a change of pace, yet just as nice and pleasing.

What an analogy, good review Moses.

Neuromancer 04-13-2010 07:40 PM

Those are a favorite of mine...pricey, but a favorite...:tu

pnoon 04-13-2010 07:43 PM

Nice review, Moses. I like the analogy, too. :)

The Grand Cru Salomon was the only Graycliff that ever impressed me.

bookman 04-13-2010 08:27 PM

My woman makes me wear the wig in bed.

icehog3 04-13-2010 09:33 PM

This is one of the Graycliffs I enjoy as well, along with the original blend Espressos. And like Peter, love the analogy.