Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mold in my travelador :( (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2194)

backwoods 10-23-2008 09:51 AM

Mold in my travelador :(

I have a 15ct travelador that has been sitting closed for the last 8 months or so(I must not HERF with the MoB crew enough:ss). Not sure why but after the last time I used it, I threw in a couple of my small humidifiers, closed it and set it on a shelf. I opened it the other day and mold is all over the inside of this thing. I took the foam pieces out and washed them in hot water and a little bleach and washed the case also...still smells a little like bleach and mold:(

here are my options..
A) toss all the foam out and use floral foam pieces instead and the case will eventually lose the mold smell.

B) Toss everything and buy a new one

C) just leave everything air out and I will eventually be able to use it again.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7...3540br4.th.jpghttp://img368.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Whaddaya fellow inmates suggest?:hm

Scottw 10-23-2008 09:54 AM

Re: Mold in my travelador :(

I would say B just to be safe. They are not ridiculously expensive and mold spores are so small that they can resurface at any time.

zemekone 10-23-2008 09:57 AM

wipe it down with alcohol ( NO not Havana Club!) and cook it in the sun...

or just toss the whole thing...

j6ppc 10-23-2008 10:05 AM

Toss the foam, wipe it down with bleach water, rinse repeat and leave in the sun for a few days (open). You need to toss the foam since its so porous that you'll never get it clean.

backwoods 10-23-2008 10:12 AM

Sounds like its getting tossed:)

The devil site has them at 17.00, I better not see any of u guys runnin up my bid!:r

Thanks guys

Joan 10-23-2008 10:15 AM

If it were mine, I'd try filling the thing, foam and all, completely with hydrogen peroxide, the same 3% H2O2 you can buy at the grocery stores. (alcohol would work too)

Then I'd let it soak over night, shake it a bit, turn it upside and soak again overnight.

Next day I'd dump and rinse well with tap water, lay everything out well to air dry, in the sun if possible.

And if that didn't work, in the trash it would go.

Works really well cleaning out homebrewing equipment "someone" left out in the garage for six months. And won't hurt pipes! :D

:2

pakrat 10-23-2008 10:30 AM

Even if you decide to not use it for cigars, it should still be ok storing other items without the foam.

Spect 10-23-2008 11:33 AM

Toss it.

Coz77 10-23-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zemekone (Post 30132)
wipe it down with alcohol ( NO not Havana Club!) and cook it in the sun...

:tpd:

livwire68 10-23-2008 02:12 PM

Dont toss it!!!!!!! Not sure if this place is still in business, but you may be able to get cigar formed foam from him still. Toss the foam, bleach and sanitize the box and order foam inserts from here.

www.cigarsolutions.com

RonC 10-23-2008 02:22 PM

i am still here

livwire68 10-23-2008 02:28 PM

There you are, I bought 6 of these from Ron. Quick shipping, great product! Glad to see you made it. I bought them for a custom travel-dor. A friend gave me an old al. handgun case and I converted it with the help of Ron.
Thanks
Coy

Skywalker 10-24-2008 10:32 PM

I vote Toss!!!

Cbid usually has these two for one!!!
:2

Tenor CS 10-25-2008 04:04 AM

I would totally recommend the replacement foam trays from Cigarsolutions.com. I got mine a few weeks ago. I ordered two for my 10-ct cigar caddy. It reduces the capacity from 10 to 6, but I love the way it holds the cigars. The foam has a nice balance of "squishyness" and firmness.

Just checked the site, and they have a combo deal:

15-ct cigar caddy plus 3 of his foam trays and a cigar stand for $30. If I didn't already have the 10 ct, I would get this.

RonC 10-25-2008 08:13 AM

there is really no reason to toss the box itself. just wash it with a mild bleach solution. then wash it a couple of time with some dish soap. then rinse a couple times with plain water. then let it sit open for a day or two.

same with the trays.

but you can still buy some of my better trays to improve it..:)

Don Fernando 10-25-2008 08:22 AM

toss the foam, get some beads in a tube from Heartfelt, clean the box with bleach or alcohol and it's ready to be used again.

oh, and when you are not using your travelador, leave it open.

ChicagoWhiteSox 10-25-2008 02:45 PM

TOSS IT! Cbid has a ton of those things. get one that comes with a sampler of cigars.