Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Costco whole bean coffee thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10351)

omowasu 02-16-2009 12:22 AM

Costco whole bean coffee thread

Thanks to Moos suggestion, I figure I would start a thread on whole bean coffees available at Costco.

From my experience, Costco usually has an excellent variety of whole bean coffees at amazing prices. Just yesterday, I nabbed a 3lb bag of Rwandan Arabica French Roast for a measly 13.99. This is a HUGE bag of whole beans - so large that it needs to be stored sideways in my coffee cabinet. I go through 1.0 - 1.25lb of coffee/week, so a big bag makes sense provided I like it.

So, post away - let us know what you are finding at your Costco warehouse, whats new, what you have tried, and reviews. Here is what I remember from my trip yesterday - they had more varieties, but I didn't catch them all:

Kirkland signature house blend 100% arabica fair-trade - dark roast - roasted by Starbucks - 2lb bag - $10.99

Kirkland Colombian Arabica dark roast - 3lb bag - $11.99

Kirkland Rwandan Arabica French roast - 3lb bag - $13.99

Kona Perry Estate 100% Kona Grade A medium roast 2lb box - $19.99

Papanicholas "Island Blend" Maui and Kona (probably 10% Kona) 2lb bag - $11.99

Starbucks Colombian Supremo - Starbucks roast (Dark) - 2.5lb bag - $19.99

Bax 02-16-2009 06:33 AM

Re: Costco whole bean coffee thread

Costco is aweomse!

germantown rob 02-16-2009 08:02 AM

Hmmm, this is cheaper than I get green beans for and then there is the time and electricity on top of it all.

jledou 02-16-2009 09:12 AM

Right now I am finishing up the bag of Kirklands Sumatra Dark French Roast. Not being super into coffee other than does it taste good to me and can I stand to drink it every morning, I did like this one and I would go for another 3lb bag however they are running very low. I think the price was $11.99 for the Sumatra.

Hopefully they will bring this one back around. The Rwandan will probably be the next one I try out unless I hear something different.

J

bookman 04-08-2009 06:41 PM

I love the Kirkland Rwandan. it's like baker's chocolate in the cup.

mosesbotbol 04-09-2009 07:44 AM

What does Coscto offer that has been favorable in an Espresso machine?

Pat1075 04-09-2009 10:19 AM

why illy espresso of course:D

mosesbotbol 04-09-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat1075 (Post 328250)
why illy espresso of course:D

Never seen Illy Espresso beans at Costco... do they have them at your Costco? How much a can?

Pat1075 04-09-2009 01:08 PM

I just got back used to for $10.99 a can. I was preground though. But they seem to have run out of both the illy and the Perry Estates Kona simultaneously:mad:. I will have to check a different costco in my area. This was only made worse by the fact that I was rear ended on my way home:c.

omowasu 04-09-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat1075 (Post 328595)
I just got back used to for $10.99 a can. I was preground though. But they seem to have run out of both the illy and the Perry Estates Kona simultaneously:mad:. I will have to check a different costco in my area. This was only made worse by the fact that I was rear ended on my way home:c.

Sorry to hear about the wreck... The Costco by me had illy Espresso, but was running low. They had a $4.00 off coupon on Starbucks blends, one of which was the espresso roast (depends if you like Starbucks roasts or not). Ill be heading back this weekend and will report on current stock.

mosesbotbol 04-10-2009 05:11 AM

$10.99 for Illy is not that great a deal, or one that would warrant me buying more than one can. I had a source in Montreal for $8.00 USD a can; that is lowest I have seen and would expect Costco to come be closer to that price.

germantown rob 04-10-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 329697)
$10.99 for Illy is not that great a deal, or one that would warrant me buying more than one can. I had a source in Montreal for $8.00 USD a can; that is lowest I have seen and would expect Costco to come be closer to that price.

$21.98 for 17.6 oz??? Fresh roast can be shipped right to a door step for less than this.

beamish 04-10-2009 05:49 AM

I have been drinking their beans for years,you cant beat the prices,I saw some tanzanian beans their one week,didnt buy {wish I did} went back 10 times since they havn't been back,also got a cuisinart burr grinder there for $25..:tu

germantown rob 04-10-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamish (Post 329713)
I have been drinking their beans for years,you cant beat the prices,I saw some tanzanian beans their one week,didnt buy {wish I did} went back 10 times since they havn't been back,also got a cuisinart burr grinder there for $25..:tu

You can't beat fast food prices on hamburgers but that doesn't make them good.

tchariya 05-03-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 237840)
Right now I am finishing up the bag of Kirklands Sumatra Dark French Roast. Not being super into coffee other than does it taste good to me and can I stand to drink it every morning, I did like this one and I would go for another 3lb bag however they are running very low. I think the price was $11.99 for the Sumatra.

Hopefully they will bring this one back around. The Rwandan will probably be the next one I try out unless I hear something different.

J

I didnt see this on the shelves anymore. So I picked up the:

Kirkland Rwandan Arabica French roast - 3lb bag - $13.99

The Rwandan beans are soooo oily! the Sumatra was too, but this one is even more so.

To be perfectly honest, I love how this french roast bean tastes as my espresso bean of choice.

RGD. 05-03-2009 06:02 PM

Was at Costco a few weeks ago and saw they had DeCaf beans. 2lb bags for like $6 or 7 bucks (can't remember). Anyway - says they are roasted by Starbucks. Not really a Starbucks fan as I wasn't impressed both times I went there - but it's a really dark oily roast with heavy Arabic flavors. Not to bad, I will pick up more next time I go.

Ron

kelmac07 05-03-2009 08:37 PM

My wife swears by Costco coffee.

bookman 05-07-2009 05:38 PM

i went this week and the Rwandan was gone! Next time I'll buy 4 bags, but I got New Guinea. It's pretty good, but nothing like Rwandan.

Pat1075 05-07-2009 06:39 PM

We've been drinking the New Guinea at work and its fantastic but I'm with you the rwandan was better.

GreekGodX 05-07-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookman (Post 373676)
i went this week and the Rwandan was gone! Next time I'll buy 4 bags, but I got New Guinea. It's pretty good, but nothing like Rwandan.

Which Costco did you go to? I was at the one on Telegraph N. of Square lake and they had it last weekend. Also the one on M-59 had it this week. And I'm talking lots of bags not a few. The Rwandan is my favorite right now. I have a starbucks 20oz cup and I drink 2 cup fulls in the morning. Love it!!! :dance:

I'm looking to try one of the 100% Colombians. Anybody try these?