Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gin Thread! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28892)

Ahbroody 02-05-2014 10:18 AM

Re: Gin Thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1923870)
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

http://static.wine-searcher.net/imag...e-10151906.jpg

Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish

pnoon 02-05-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1931291)
Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Lots to research and try.
Of all that you mentioned, I've only had the Northshore, The Botanist and Right. I liked the Northshore. The Botanist and Right were just adequate.

Ahbroody 02-12-2014 02:27 PM

Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.

pnoon 02-12-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1934038)
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.

Will do. Thanks.

Gabe215 02-13-2014 12:20 PM

Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!

pnoon 02-13-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe215 (Post 1934328)
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!

Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:noon:noon:noon

the MacDonald 02-13-2014 01:11 PM

Uncle Val's for the win. A G &T withe Val's is like nectar and the only thing getting through this winter.

Lockspur 02-13-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe215 (Post 1934328)

I recently moved off of Bombay Sapphire and on to Hendricks. Soooo smooth.

Whee 02-13-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1934339)
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

:noon:noon:noon

muwahahahahahahahahahah!

:D

pnoon 02-13-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped. :sad

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.

TFed 02-14-2014 12:06 AM

Love a gin and tonic. Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin.

Martini's are another story entirely!!

I do not like my martini dirty, but, i do want a few olives on a toothpick in the glass before the liquid is poured over them.

I like a traditional martini with an actual part of vermouth.
Then the rest can do no better than Tanqueray RANGPUR. Liquids in well iced glass and stir ( don't shake gin )for what seems like an eternity before straining and pouring over the olives into a chilled martini glass.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr:dr;)

DPD6030 02-14-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whee (Post 1934355)
muwahahahahahahahahahah!

:D

Remember that time on that point on that island in Ohio that one summer? Yup, neither do I! :D Thanks to the gin and tonics. Delicious. I can't remember what gin we had but I have some very cheap gin at home in the cabinet that I mix once in a while. I think it times to start looking into drinking more gin.

pnoon 02-14-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFed (Post 1934518)
Love a gin and tonic. Me, too.
Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome. I don't think so.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin. True. But better quality spirits make for a better cocktail

Martini's are another story entirely!! Now you're speaking my language!!

I do not like my martini dirty, but, i do want a few olives on a toothpick in the glass before the liquid is poured over them. Exactly how I like mine

I like a traditional martini with an actual part of vermouth. Try Japanese or Korean sake for a nice change of pace.
Then the rest can do no better than Tanqueray RANGPUR. :pu Nasty stuff

Liquids in well iced glass and stir ( don't shake gin )for what seems like an eternity before straining and pouring over the olives into a chilled martini glass. I shake my martinis. For me, the preferred method.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr;)

:al

Gabe215 02-14-2014 06:54 AM

I heard Hendricks says to use cucumber rather than lime/any citrus with your GnT is that just a suggestion or is it pivotal? I love the citrus note in a GnT I've been using lime and orange slices is it all preference?

pnoon 02-14-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe215 (Post 1934564)
I heard Hendricks says to use cucumber rather than lime/any citrus with your GnT is that just a suggestion or is it pivotal? I love the citrus note in a GnT I've been using lime and orange slices is it all preference?

All preference. Put an anchovy in it if it floats your boat.

Gabe215 02-14-2014 07:28 AM

Hahaha

TFed 02-14-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1934557)
:al

Peter/Pnoon

I have the utmost respect for you right now!

I can only hope that someday i have the privilege of sharing a smoke and a martini with you.

While you may not share my exact taste,you obviously know your stuff.

And after reading a number of old threads here, i dare say that you are a much wiser cigar man than i.

But, with all due respect, i believe that with your obvious knowledge and experience that i could easily sway you with a well stirred martini as i have described.
Again, with all due respect, i know that you can't get one well done as i described at any bar or restaurant. They just don't have time to do it right.

But, if i made it for you, you would not only see what i mean but, be one of the few that i would trust to duplicate it.

Much love from one BOTL to Another

Terry

P.s. On your suggestion, i absolutely will try the sake!!!

But i worry about it standing up to the aromatics

pnoon 02-14-2014 01:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Terry.

There are some here who have forgotten more than I know. I continue to learn here every day.

I would never turn down a stirred martini. I just prefer mine shaken.

It would be a pleasure to share a smoke and drink with you one day.

Brutus2600 02-14-2014 02:11 PM

I've been on a gin kick lately. I've been drinking more Martinez than martinis though.

Been using Ransom or Hayman's Old Tom gin. Some sweet vermouth, orange bitters, a splash of Luxardo Maraschino liqueur and an expressed orange peel on top...pretty tasty!

I enjoy the Martinez as a nice change up from a Manhattan.

Ahbroody 02-14-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFed (Post 1934518)
Love a gin and tonic. Hendricks is great in it if someone else is buying but, if it is me, tonic and lime is too much for a clear spirit to overcome.
G+T are just fine with a decent inexpensive gin.

It should start a religious movement.:dr:dr:dr;)

I mean this with all do respect but HELLLLL NAH!

I only drink G&Ts so I can say I have had more then 35 gins from modern to traditional London Dry. Now taking that there are 5 very different tonics in my rotation to mix with these gins all of which dramatically change the drink it is entirely more complex then stated. These tonics are all extremely different which I think is where your inexperience in the issue creates the problem. Take for example Q tonic a tonic more on the bitter side. Pair this with a gin like Gvine and your drink is completely different from pairing it with a traditional London Dry like beefeater. I find there are only a few gins I can enjoy Q with. Another good example is pairing NA Gin with cheap Schweppes which is not to bad vs pairing it with Fever Tree which becomes over citrusy almost to the point of being undrinkable to me.

This matter of tonics and their respective impact on gins is deserving of a lengthy post. I myself am a fever tree guy. But I prefer the traditional fever tree for most gins not the Mediterranean version. Then there is Fentimans which is different from Fever tree and Jack Rudy, Tomrs, Bradley Kina, etc. The last three are syrups you must mix and are much darker and impart their own very different profiles on your G&T.

So in closing I say no sir. You must first begin to dabble with the many tonics and tonic syrups out there not names Schweppes or Canada Dry to begin to understand just how much G&Ts can vary given the different Tonics and Gins.

Ahbroody 02-14-2014 04:21 PM

Peter im interested in knowing if you are drinking Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD or are you using Fever Tree or Fentimans? I only had Uncle Vals with Fever Tree and found the citrus over bearing much like in the New Amsterdam with Fever Tree. However as mentioned above I thought NA was much better with Schweppes.

I am guessing this is why I thought hendricks was better then Uncle Vals. Now im wondering what Uncle Vals would do with Q tonic. I dont think its sweet enough to pair well with Q though. Found Q to work well with Gvine, Comb, and Martin Miller though.

Think I should start reporting on different combinations.

pnoon 02-14-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1934726)
Peter im interested in knowing if you are drinking Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD or are you using Fever Tree or Fentimans? I only had Uncle Vals with Fever Tree and found the citrus over bearing much like in the New Amsterdam with Fever Tree. However as mentioned above I thought NA was much better with Schweppes.

I am guessing this is why I thought hendricks was better then Uncle Vals. Now im wondering what Uncle Vals would do with Q tonic. I dont think its sweet enough to pair well with Q though. Found Q to work well with Gvine, Comb, and Martin Miller though.

Think I should start reporting on different combinations.

To be honest Mike, my gin consumption is roughly 2/3 martini and 1/3 GnT.
I have to confess that I have not tried or experimented with tonic beyond Schweppes/CD. Sounds like I need to broaden my horizons.

My experiences with gin varieties is close to yours.

mikesr1963 02-14-2014 05:29 PM

bishes

TFed 02-14-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1934746)
I have to confess that I have not tried or experimented with tonic beyond Schweppes/CD. Sounds like I need to broaden my horizons.

Ditto!

I stand humbled and corrected. And I thank you for the schooling! :gary :banger

In fact, can't wait to start down the tonic experimentation road.

Feel free to :sl me any time I can use it!

357 02-15-2014 10:18 AM

I too can't wait to sip a GnT and puff a cigar alongside Peter once again. Terry, perhaps if you carpool a ride over to Shack sometime, we both might get to make that happen.

qwerty1500 02-15-2014 11:05 AM

Wow ... I've missed a lot during the last few weeks. It seems that the gin drinkers have come out of the woodwork.

Not a big fan of the heavy citrus flavors. Much more devoted to the traditional London dry gins in my martinis. And I like them wet with a dry vermouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felixcigar (Post 1928093)
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?

Martini drinkers can go though a lot of gin. Just ask my liver doctor. And, if you like London dry gin like I do, Beefeaters is a reasonably good gin at a good price point. Plus, I've heard that it's the only London based distiller still in operation.

I've tried a lot of pricy gins and seem to always return to my old stand-bys ... Beefeater, Bombay (regular ... you can keep the Sapphire ... the almond flavor ruins it for me) and Tanqueray (love the No. 10). I guess I'm just a cheap drunk.

And, contrary to what everyone else experiences, martinis DO NOT overpower cigar flavors for me. In fact, they enhance a lot of the cigar flavors that I really like. Martinis have been my favorite cigar drink for years.

pnoon 02-17-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1934506)
Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped. :sad

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.

I found the Berkshire Greylock at Total Wine.
My son will be stopping there this weekend and he'll be picking up a bottle for me.

Full report next week. :)

Ahbroody 02-18-2014 10:06 PM

Nice.
Pete the fact that you had only had NA and Uncle Vals with Schweppes/CD was what I was hoping to hear because other wise I was going to be confused. Let me know about the Greylock.

Tried Aviation gin. I cant get around the root beer profile. I actually thought it was disgusting I could not find a tonic that made it palatable. Stuff has such an odd profile.

I think there is a bottle of etheral up here at a local shop. May grab another

pnoon 02-18-2014 10:37 PM

I think you ARE confused. Or we both are. ;)
I've had numerous craft gins. I've never ventured beyond Schweppes/CD when it comes to tonic.

Ahbroody 02-19-2014 10:58 AM

Not confused I know you have extensive gin experience. Sorry should have been more clear.
My comment was directed at the fact that I found Uncle Vals and NA to have an over the top citrus profile with fever tree tonic. I found NA much more drinkable with Schweppes because it doesnt bring in as much citrus as Schweppes CL. I was thinking i should revisit uncle vala with either fever tree mediteranean or fentimans or maybe jack rudy. I think this will reduce the overly citrus aspect. I was just glad that you had not liked NA or UV with fever tree or it would have confused me given the over powering citrus when drank with fever tree.

TFed 02-20-2014 12:45 AM

So, bought some Q and some Fever tree. I have Hendricks, NA, and my beloved Rangpur. Anything else a must for right now?

Pairing suggestions?

Ahbroody 02-20-2014 10:03 AM

The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.

massphatness 02-21-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1936611)
The Q is a tough one you really have to just try it with your gins. To me I preferred it with sweeter gins as I mentioned in a previous post.

Last night I did Deaths Door with fever tree.

Paging Mike to the CC MAW thread :D

ronaldbarbarren 02-21-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marge796 (Post 767625)
I like a Bombay & Tonic with extra limes on a hot summer afternoon.

:tu

Chris.....

Me too man. Tasted it once but haven't got the chance to buy some. But they were fine. Good taste man. :tu

Gabe215 02-21-2014 06:38 PM

Went to total wine today, was going to buy some Hendricks but the $70 price tag turned me off because I already had a full shopping cart for the guests I'm entertaining this weekend. I told the girl that works there that I really enjoy Sapphire and she said if I like that than I'll love Citadelle, bought a 750 ml bottle for around $20. Smells fantastic, going to try it next week anyone try Citadelle before? Thoughts? Will def get the 1.75 L Hendricks but a sole purchase for next time! thanks guys!

Ahbroody 02-21-2014 09:16 PM

Love citadel. Mentioned it prior. Top 3 sub $20 gins for me.

Gabe215 02-22-2014 07:53 AM

Thanks, I remember reading that it was mentioned as I was buying it but was just hoping for a little more info in it

Ahbroody 02-23-2014 01:05 AM

Citadel is just a great non traditional gin for those who like a lot of botanicals. I think it hits the mark a lot better then bombay east or tanqueray rangpur at a great price point. At least for G&Ts. I can not speak to Martinis. I didnt really like rangpur at alll. The first time I had it I really liked it but then after drinking it a few more times it just wasnt for me. Bombay East is good but I just think Citadel hits the mark so much better.

In that vein I had Beefeater 24 the other day. Its not bad but not much of anything comes to mind. They down play the heavy juniper and try to bring in citrus and tea notes. It was just boring.

GreekGodX 02-23-2014 06:04 AM

I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.

357 02-25-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1937196)
I'm going to have to see if MI has Citadel. We have a Detroit distillery that makes Gin and they did a mistake batch that had too many botanicals. It was amazing. Two James Distillery, their production gin is really good but I liked the mistake batch more.

I need more info about this Christos.

GreekGodX 02-25-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 1937869)
I need more info about this Christos.

Old Cockney Gin.. $33.99 for a bottle. They do distribute around SE MI but I haven't seen it anywhere but at their tasting room.

The do tours too on Saturdays :al I think it is $15 and you get to try all the spirits they make plus some experimental booze too :)

Two James Spirits
2445 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216

http://twojames.com/

I just realized if you click on "tasting room" on their website I'm in the picture with two ladies on the right side of the bar. You can see the top of my head and my hand but I know it is me ;)

357 02-25-2014 02:17 PM

If they only had a smoking lounge.... ;)

We should probably figure out a way to do a herf downtown this summer with a stop at Two James worked into the mix.

pnoon 02-25-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1935648)
I found the Berkshire Greylock at Total Wine.
My son will be stopping there this weekend and he'll be picking up a bottle for me.

Full report next week. :)

Quite enjoyable. I get some floral notes but my taste buds are a bit off due to some sinus issues. I will revisit when my head clears.

Ahbroody 03-09-2014 12:29 PM

Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.

pnoon 03-09-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1941810)
Okay had the pleasure of finding an amazing gin.

OOLA gin is out of Washington State and just like Voyager and DryFly from Washington it is fantastic.
Where OOLA really shines is just sipping it. It is the smootest gin we have ever had with virtually zero burn. On the nose is vanilla and citrus. The vanilla doesnt come through as heavy while sipping but it is present along with juniper and citrus. The bottle I got had a massive dent put in it from everyone sampling neat.
With tonics it was interesting. With standard fever tree it was unremarkable. With fever tree Mediterranean it was very good. With Q tonic no good. With Canada Dry it was good.

Botanica Gin from Richmond Califoria
Pepper pepper and a hint of what we thought was sarsaparilla similar to Avaiation gin but thankfully much lighter. As a whole must of us did not enjoy this gin neat at all. Tingling tounges and sarsaparilla is just weird. Did not particularly enjoy with either fever tree versions or Q. Will try with CD to see if it makes it palatable. It is unlikely this will work with any thing for me as it just reminds me of aviation which I camt stand.

Do you realize how much money you are costing me? :sl

I mean that in a good way. :D

Gabe215 03-09-2014 04:08 PM

Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!

pnoon 03-09-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe215 (Post 1941851)
Just bought some Hendricks, PA has the most screwed up liqueur laws (Spirits and wine are sold in State controlled stores that are small and have the bare essentials) I drive 20 minutes to Total Wine in DE which is MUCH better but still cannot find G'Vine, Uncle Val's and a lot of these other gins you speak of. Next time I go to NJ I'm gonna have to call around and find some!

Uncle Val's and G'Vine are boutique brands. I wouldn't expect them to be easy to find.

Ahbroody 03-09-2014 07:24 PM

I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals

pnoon 03-09-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1941874)
I wish there was a way we could do a sample pass around. Seems like it would be a lot of work though and serious potential for disaster with leakage.

Pete I have a feeling OOLA will not be a simple acquisition. I found a bottle at Beltramos a boutique liqour store up here that puts bevmo to shame. Maybe I can figure out a way to get you a sample

For the record I saved you money. Dont buy Botanica! Bam $38.00 saved

I feel spoiled I guess as Gvine and Uncle Vals are available at multiple places especially Uncle Vals

G'Vine is available at BevMo -2 miles from home. 1/2 mile from where I work.
Uncle Val's is at a specialty shop - ~15 miles from home.

OOLA doesn't seem to be nearby but Total Wine has it. They are ~60 miles north. But very close to where my daughter lives. She's my mule. :)

TFed 03-10-2014 03:19 AM

My son in law infuses New Amsterdam with some high quality earl grey tea.

The result tastes like a slightly more complex Hendricks imho.

Decent gin made great with a modest amt of time and :2