Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Macanudo Freshness Packs (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60439)

mahtofire14 01-29-2013 12:51 PM

Macanudo Freshness Packs

I was sitting in my living room watching the 2013 Golf Merchandise show on Golf Channel and after wishing I had the ceiling space in my house to justify buying an OptiShot, they go to an anchor standing in front of a wall of cigars!!! I'm thinking, here we go! Then he starts talking about Macanudo Cigars....As if that wasn't bad enough he begins to explain to me that Macanudo has a new process that once their cigars are rolled they place them in this freshness pack. Think a bag of Backwoods Cigars. Looks like that. Apparently Macanudo says this locks in the freshness for 3 years.....right.

I have always wanted to like Macanudo and then they do something like this.

Emjaysmash 01-29-2013 01:35 PM

Re: Macanudo Freshness Packs

Is the pouch air tight, or do they just seal it all in with a nice slathering of PG?

Honestly though, anyone who cares how the cigars will taste after three years wont be buying them in a pouch. They all probably have humidors.

shilala 01-29-2013 01:40 PM

http://vegasspiritsongandy.com/shop/...ess-sleeve.jpg

mahtofire14 01-29-2013 02:06 PM

Scott any HumiGod knowledge on this???

T.G 01-29-2013 02:20 PM

These have been out for, I believe, at least a year now.

I don't know if these use PG or not nor am I familiar with the process that General Cigar uses for these pouches or what the pouches are made of. I know there is at least one person on this forum who works for General, maybe they can comment on people's concern about these things.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. How often have you seen premium cigars improperly stored at liquor stores, gas stations, golf pro shops, etc? This packaging can eliminate most of that. They are packaged in singles, this is perfect for the occasional smoker, you know, the guy who buys two cigars for the golf course every month, or one to go fishing with, etc. This is how you bring them over to our side, rather than turning them off with a dried out/overly moist/moldy or otherwise unsmokeable premium cigar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1788541)
Honestly though, anyone who cares how the cigars will taste after three years wont be buying them in a pouch. They all probably have humidors.

So only people with humidors care about how their cigars taste? That's absurd.

mjdx88 01-29-2013 02:34 PM

I had an Excalibur that was packed the same way. It tasted fresh. I posted about this a while ago. I figure it would be nice to be able to buy a box of theses and keep a few in my desk at work and other places with out setting up a humi or bringing one with you.

Robulous78 01-29-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1788544)

Looks like Macanudo wants to break into the blunt wrap market IMHO... :lr

Sad to see a company with mediocre reputation drop the bar this low...

dwoodward 01-29-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1788560)
These have been out for, I believe, at least a year now.

I don't know if these use PG or not nor am I familiar with the process that General Cigar uses for these pouches or what the pouches are made of. I know there is at least one person on this forum who works for General, maybe they can comment on people's concern about these things.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. How often have you seen premium cigars improperly stored at liquor stores, gas stations, golf pro shops, etc? This packaging can eliminate most of that. They are packaged in singles, this is perfect for the occasional smoker, you know, the guy who buys two cigars for the golf course every month, or one to go fishing with, etc. This is how you bring them over to our side, rather than turning them off with a dried out/overly moist/moldy or otherwise unsmokeable premium cigar.

I could not agree more. I love the idea as well, especially for gas stations, almost every gas station around here has a humidor, but doesn't use ANY humidity source... And around here the ambient RH in the air is around 40RH normally, very dry.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact they say they can last "up to" 3 years. So after 3 year they are dry? In my mind this means that there is a known problem with the packaging that could cause it to leak. Isn't a perfectly sealed environment going to lock in the correct RH forever? Maybe not?

Wish someone with knowledge could comment.

Robulous78 01-29-2013 03:24 PM

More seriously... I see Adam and Derrick's point... but I think Derrick brings up a good question... are these packs really something NEW or are they just like the packs that white-owl's come in now? Sorry to say that if they are... they too will eventually dry out...

dubleuhb 01-29-2013 03:53 PM

They have several different brands at one of my locals packaged like this. I think it is a great idea as TG said for newcomers and those just grabbing a smoke or two on the run.
I doubt anyone who buys these is actually going to keep them more than a week anyway.

Robulous78 01-29-2013 04:38 PM

Another thought on this... why not just sell the cigars in a tube or a tube with a better seal so the product can be viewed and evaluated before purchase? I have never liked the idea of "mystery buying" anything...

Robulous78 01-29-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubleuhb (Post 1788593)
I doubt anyone who buys these is actually going to keep them more than a week anyway.

I agree... but they might sit on the shelves for a a couple months with various temperature spikes and humidity changes...

bobarian 01-29-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1788577)
Looks like Macanudo wants to break into the blunt wrap market IMHO... :lr

Sad to see a company with mediocre reputation drop the bar this low...

Yeah, I guess one of the top grossing cigar companies in the world has to worry what you think about their reputation. :sh

As Adam stated, this looks more like an attempt to insure their cigars are better presented to the casual smoker. Macanudo is already one of the top selling brands in the world. By increasing their presence to other retailers it will only help the brand grow. :2

Robulous78 01-29-2013 05:18 PM

Ok... Ok... my slight towards Mancanudo aside... I would have rather seen them take a more traditional approach toward cigar presentation and preservation... A tube or "new and improved" tube or something would have accomplished that... without the tube the cigar is left open to impact damage at the very least...

Yes, I am sure Macanudo will do just fine and cares nothing about what I think of their reputation, they are a top selling brand in the world and I am sure this will expand their market as well...

Personally, I have always been weary of cigars that show up in gas-stations... the people that sell them know nothing about the product, the way it should be cared for, ect... I always shy away from anything I see behind a gas station counter and if I were Macanudo, I would not want my product to be surrounded by all the rest of that cr@p... IMHO...

now take macanudo out of the equation... what would you think if you walked into a gas station and saw a Viaje surrounded by Blunts, White-Owls, Dutch-masters, and the like? might change what you thought Viaje's were.... right?

Zane 01-29-2013 05:31 PM

If I remember reading about these Drew Estate thought about using these for Acids. It's a smart marketing method. Going on vacation? Grab a pack and go.

Robulous78 01-29-2013 05:35 PM

apparently I am the dissenting opinion on this... so I'll let it go... I just disagree with the idea, but then again I'm sure everyone disagrees with something... :2

Mattso3000 01-29-2013 05:37 PM

They had these at a couple golf courses this year here. Looked like it worked fairly well for that purpose. Also saw fuentes in a similar pack but it was more like a single finger bag with a small boveda in it.

T.G 01-29-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattso3000 (Post 1788647)
They had these at a couple golf courses this year here. Looked like it worked fairly well for that purpose. Also saw fuentes in a similar pack but it was more like a single finger bag with a small boveda in it.

Heh, the Lars Tetens super-exclusive uber special packaging that he learned from a 1700 year old wise man living in a cave at the top of the Himalayas they he, Lars, himself scaled while only wearing a speedo armed only with a plastic spork from KFC, and fought off a hundred mongol warriors, ten elephants, six attack trained lions, and sonic the hedgehog, to reach.

pnoon 01-29-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1788714)
Heh, the Lars Tetens super-exclusive uber special packaging that he learned from a 1700 year old wise man living in a cave at the top of the Himalayas they he, Lars, himself scaled while only wearing a speedo armed only with a plastic spork from KFC, and fought off a hundred mongol warriors, ten elephants, six attack trained lions, and sonic the hedgehog, to reach.

Say what?

:D

T.G 01-29-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1788717)
Say what?

:D

Wait? You mean Lars was full of **** when he told that story?

:sad