Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cigar forums - one-woman man or player? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46470)

jjirons69 06-13-2011 07:00 PM

Cigar forums - one-woman man or player?

Just had the strangest encounter - or feeling. First off, never have been a big forum person. Did some garden forums back years ago but the most time ever spent on any forum was back in the CS Gorilla days. That was the only cigar forum I was a member of. Then the transition here in 10/08 and really never went back to the fish site, except to dissolve my associations with all my loose ends. Fast foward to today - I just went back to look up something I remember from years ago, thanks to Cliff. It was such an eerie feeling. I logged on. No new PMs. Last visit 12/09 (don't remember that). Looking around old posts - it seemed like a quiet shipwreck on the ocean floor. You knew there was action and liveliness at one time, but it was no longer there. It felt like you were going back to visit an old girlfriend. The things and people you remember are still there, but it's totally different and the warm feelings are gone. It was weird. I was ready to leave. Got my info and logged out. Nice to come back home the warm orange, yellow, and tan glow here.

I'm old-school. I'm a one-woman man. This is my cigar home. I don't venture. I don't care to know what else is out there. I see new faces come and go, but I get a sense of security seeing the same old guys I've been following cigars and life events for going on 4 years now. BTW, this is also the only forum of any type I participate in. I'm an avid Internet user, but I get my buddy fix here.

Again, thanks goes out to the TOE for a sweet meeting place. Home is where the heart is. (and an ad-free home at that!)

Time for an LCG #3. :tu

Remo 06-13-2011 07:02 PM

Re: Cigar forums - one-woman man or player?

This is my only Cigar forum and i'm never leaving, I pop into my old watch forums now and again (to buy or sell a watch) but don't ever really banter with anyone.

MurphysLaw 06-13-2011 07:10 PM

I'm a member of a few other forums, only check one with any frequency, but this is my home

jesseboston81 06-13-2011 07:10 PM

I lurk on a few other forums when I've exhausted all the new posts here, but this is the only one where I actively post and participate.

Ogre 06-13-2011 07:17 PM

This is the only place for me. I have tried a few other cigar sites and it got right down vicious. I love this place.

Bill86 06-13-2011 08:21 PM

I'm still a member at the knife forums, I have 750 posts in 4+ years. I lurk there occasionally but it never felt like a comfortable place, too much lying, cheating and bad mouthing. They got one years paid membership from me but that's it...I'm done.

I haven't been here a year yet and I'm already at ~4,100 posts. This place is much warmer, nicer and the people here are great. Gives you a big reason to participate. Every now and then I venture back to the knife forums for about 3 minutes. Then realize what a gross error I made and a waste of 3 minutes.

I stumbled here first, it must have been good luck shinning down on me that day.

hscmit 06-13-2011 08:28 PM

this is home

G G 06-13-2011 08:32 PM

This is my one and only too. Nothing else even comes close to comparing.

EricF 06-13-2011 08:35 PM

I started swimming also and by chance found CA. The ocean has been over taken by sharks, if you will, and is not a fun place to swim anymore. I do go back on occasion due to some things I am still invloved with, but always come right back here.

This is home!!!!! Thanks to the ToE for giving us this place called HOME!!!

NCRadioMan 06-13-2011 08:41 PM

I get that. Feels like you are roaming through an abandoned building but I go back to the old place sometimes when I am doing my cigar research. The information that place contains from mid 08 and back for another 10 years is invaluable to me. Reading posts from the true FOG's you don't see anymore is still an awesome learning experience.

Emjaysmash 06-13-2011 08:43 PM

This (starting with CS) has been my home on the internet. Do I visit a few pipe and cigar forums on the side? Sure. But when I get into bed at night, CA is always the one next to me. :tu

maninblack 06-13-2011 09:15 PM

I Freaking love this place and all you crazy inmates!! I have made so many friends here!

CigarNut 06-13-2011 10:07 PM

CA is home -- that's all that I need...

fid 06-13-2011 10:42 PM

What is "the other place", and "CS". Have seen these referred to before, but I guess I ain't been around long enough to pick up on the meaning.

Cenookie 06-13-2011 10:42 PM

I don't participate in any other forums, no need to. I get my fix here, thanks goes out to the TOE for all there hard work making this nuthouse what it is!!!!!

icehog3 06-13-2011 11:05 PM

:D We are glad you all consider this "home". :)

RHNewfie 06-14-2011 05:05 AM

This is home for sure Papa-Tom!!

jjirons69 06-14-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fid (Post 1295941)
What is "the other place", and "CS". Have seen these referred to before, but I guess I ain't been around long enough to pick up on the meaning.

CS - Club Stogie - also called the Jungle, as a smoking Gorilla was the mascot. Sold and bought and changed to Puff. Soon thereafter, genius minds got together, spent lots of cash, and created this haven. The guys/gals with semi-intelligence moved, the rest stayed behind. The rest is Internet history.

Subvet642 06-14-2011 06:21 AM

This is the only cigar forum I've ever belonged to, though I also belong to a fountain pen forum and one for hats and all things vintage.

Subvet642 06-14-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1295757)
This (starting with CS) has been my home on the internet. Do I visit a few pipe and cigar forums on the side? Sure. But when I get into bed at night, CA is always the one next to me. :tu

Mikey, how does the girlfriend feel about that?