Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How long should I let a new Opus rest? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=581)

rizzle 10-15-2008 09:48 AM

How long should I let a new Opus rest?

I've recently acquired a couple of Opus Fuente Fuentes. Having never had one of these before I'm tempted to smoke one now and let the other one rest but I have the feeling from reading other opinions that I will be much better suited laying them down.

What say ye experienced Opus smokers?

madurolover 10-15-2008 09:51 AM

Re: How long should I let a new Opus rest?

I prefer them fresh but most like them better after 3 - 5 years. I say smoke one now and then smoke one in a few years so you will know which you prefer.:2

Buckeye Jack 10-15-2008 10:04 AM

Since you're new to them, I say smoke one now and see what you think. Everything changes with some age, you might like them better now. I remember when I started smoking, I liked them better new, but that was also when they were new themselves, 1997, 1998. I think they changed, and I found I liked them better with age after that. Now I don't like them at all.....as I said, everything changes with age :ss

icehog3 10-15-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madurolover (Post 5064)
I prefer them fresh but most like them better after 3 - 5 years. I say smoke one now and then smoke one in a few years so you will know which you prefer.:2

Exactly, then you know for yourself....Donnie knows things. :)

VirtualSmitty 10-15-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

:tpd: Yep, good advice there.

zmancbr 10-15-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

:tpd:

I would definitely smoke them now. Some people like them fresh. If I were to age them, and I age ALL of mine, then I would say they get real nice right around the 3 year mark. I have had some '05s that are just damn good! One of the best smokes I have had! :D

Beer Doctor 10-15-2008 03:01 PM

I just had a fresh Opus and it was great:ss I agree with the above posts, smoke one now and save some for later

barbourjay 10-15-2008 03:21 PM

i've smoked all of this years sizes besides the A's and the double coronas. they were all very good. i have some DC's on the way and will see if they are as good as previous releases.

honestly i say cigars are for smoking. smoke them, bomb someone and maybe keep one or so to age to see if you like it.

ucla695 10-15-2008 05:05 PM

I prefer mine with some age on them, but I say you taste one and see how they suit your tastes. This way you'll if you like freshies.

rck70 10-15-2008 05:10 PM

I could not let these rest if i wanted to....they're to damn good....yumm....

BamBam 10-15-2008 05:52 PM

I've heard there best at 3 years. :tu

gettysburgfreak 10-15-2008 06:16 PM

Since you have more than one I would smoke one now and then age the other for at least a year, compare the two giving you an idea if you like them fresh or with some age on them for future reference.

gorob23 10-15-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamBam (Post 7873)
I've heard there best at 3 years. :tu

I'm letting mine rest a bit longer;)

dunng 10-15-2008 06:28 PM

Smoke one now and go from there... :ss

jjirons69 10-15-2008 07:27 PM

Donnie knows moonshine....

Good luck, Ritchie, waiting 3-5 years! :D

Tio Gato 10-15-2008 07:30 PM

What's an Opus X?
Just kidding!
I like to hide 'em so I won't be tempted to smoke 'em. Then when 5 or so years go by I pull one out and pat myself on the back for having great willpower.
Put one away for a long time, you'll be glad you did.:2

Firridge1 10-15-2008 08:06 PM

They only get better with age.

Dgar 10-15-2008 08:39 PM

Smoke one now, if its good, repeat and aquire more...

rizzle 10-16-2008 10:05 AM

Concensus say...smoke one now and let the other rest.

Then that's it. One of them dies a fiery death this weekend and the other gets to pretend it's Rip Van Winkle.

Jamie...moonshine? You know an Alabama boy don't know nothing about no moonshine now don't you?:chr

Scottw 10-16-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 8014)
Since you have more than one I would smoke one now and then age the other for at least a year, compare the two giving you an idea if you like them fresh or with some age on them for future reference.

Thanks for the advice, I have two Fuente Fuente's in the humi. I now have a good reason to spark one up.....this place!!