Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   English Blend Suggestion? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7263)

Emjaysmash 01-01-2009 04:44 PM

English Blend Suggestion?

Hey Pipers and Pipettes!

Well, I am really starting to enjoy English blends, and wanted to ask what everyones favorite english blend was. I hear Westminster is a good blend, and I'm hoping to find some money to buy a tin and try it one of these days.

I've also never tried Va/Per before, but after seeing Slow's "Va/Per Showdown" thread (I dont know if that was here or at that other place) I'm thinking of trying to get some Escudo and McConnell's Scottish Cake blend...

So, any wise sages have any other suggestions for a humble apprentice?

Thanks.
MJ

Emjaysmash 01-03-2009 05:38 PM

Re: English Blend Suggestion?

Really? No one?

Asher 01-03-2009 05:44 PM

Hey MJ, have you found any place around Madison that sells decent pipe tobacco? Knuckleheads has some bulk tobacco, but nothing that looks particularly good. I don't recall seeing any pipe tobacco at The Tasting Room, but I could be wrong.

BigFrank 01-03-2009 06:19 PM

Sorry emmjay I just picked my pipes back up and I am still working through VA and VA/Per Blends.

Emjaysmash 01-03-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 148174)
Hey MJ, have you found any place around Madison that sells decent pipe tobacco? Knuckleheads has some bulk tobacco, but nothing that looks particularly good. I don't recall seeing any pipe tobacco at The Tasting Room, but I could be wrong.

Hey Asher,
Quite honestly I dont like knuckleheads much at all. All it is is a head shop.
Ive only been to the Tasting Room once, and 15 mins before they closed (:p), so I just ran into the Humidor picked up some things and left. I don't remember there being any pipe tobacco there.
Why don't you give me a PM with your Addy? I can see if I can hook you up with a bit of tobacco. :D

DrDubzz 01-03-2009 07:13 PM

Check out Butera Royal Vintage Latakia #2

it's one of two english blends I've smoked, but I liked it

Asher 01-04-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 148237)
Hey Asher,
Quite honestly I dont like knuckleheads much at all. All it is is a head shop.

Yeah, I browse their humidor once in a while, and there's almost never anything good. They've got a box and a half of Oliva V lanceros, but they're asking about $450 per box!

Emjaysmash 01-04-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 149556)
Yeah, I browse their humidor once in a while, and there's almost never anything good. They've got a box and a half of Oliva V lanceros, but they're asking about $450 per box!

Yep, selling a $5 cigar for $14. I'm never going back there again.

RevSmoke 01-04-2009 07:39 PM

Here is a link to Mars Cigars & Pipes.

http://www.marscigars.com/

If you want a great English blend, get some Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12, my personal favorite. They also have G&H Louisiana Flake, my all time favorite VaPer.

Todd

Slow Triathlete 01-06-2009 12:19 PM

You got the VaPers right in the beginning. Start off with Escudo and Scottish Cake. These two are considered by most to be the top VaPers, along with Solani #633.

As far as Englishes go, I'm not really big on them but the two that I always go back to are Frog Morton and Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader. Stokkebye's Proper English is always a favorite as well.

DrDubzz 01-07-2009 12:35 PM

just tried some Larry's Blend, from pipesandcigars

I like it for an english, although I'm still not totally into the whole latakia thing, but I'm trying to figure it out. it was good, it smells like it'll be in your face smokey, but it's really quite sweet

Mister Moo 01-07-2009 01:16 PM

3. For all around easy english smoke if you can find it - Dunhill Mixture 965 (and Squadron Leader if you can't. Lovely stuff).

2. For all around plus a little extra kick in the pants for an english-lover (in a good way) it's hard to beat - Peter Stokkebye Proper English (bulk only)

1. For the man who knows who he is but, knowing that, would prefer to be Sherlock Holmes there is only - Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary Mixture. Everything else is, at best, a distant 2nd place.

Hey! That's just my taste. Lotsa people like the Frog stuff but I don't get it. Tastes vary. Much to try. Keep your own counsel. Don't smoke any of it in a briar according to old farts in the know.