Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Oil Found in Cuban waters (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2269)

Sauer Grapes 10-23-2008 09:06 PM

Oil Found in Cuban waters

OK, doesn't sound like news, but apparently it's double what they were believed to have. Some news stories have already made the assumption that there is a possibility that this might be what ends the embargo.

I personally don't think it will, but who knows.

So, if there was a hypothetical vote to end the embargo, how would you vote? (public vote, I know wouldn't happen ever).

ChicagoWhiteSox 10-23-2008 09:10 PM

Re: Oil Found in Cuban waters

i say no, i think it would really affect the quality of cigars

wrench turner 85 10-23-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 31684)
i say no, i think it would really affect the quality of cigars

i disagree, I think cuban people take pride in ther cigars and they would produce to the max without loosing quality. but the price would go threw the roof.

ChicagoWhiteSox 10-23-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench turner 85 (Post 31696)
i disagree, I think cuban people take pride in ther cigars and they would produce to the max without loosing qulity.

i dunno, i think it would get out of control. there would be so many people wanting to try cubans, the demand for them would be unreal.

groogs 10-23-2008 09:25 PM

I had to say No, because I think the demand would go through the roof and they would be imposible to get. Not that I get any now.;)

Lee 10-23-2008 10:35 PM

It's all about supply and demand. The rest of the world is smoking CC's at a good price. They may go up in price but then the NC's will go down. A lot of the NC's are already pricier than the CC's. End the embargo now!!

poker 10-23-2008 10:41 PM

theres an embargo? :ss

SmokinCozy 10-23-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

i disagree, I think cuban people take pride in ther cigars and they would produce to the max without loosing quality. but the price would go threw the roof.

So why do some dodge certain years?

sikk50 10-23-2008 11:38 PM

Too much bad blood between the US and Cuba, I think they would stiff us on oil, even if we lifted the embargo

Ratters 10-24-2008 12:00 AM

Yes, because then demand will drop for my Honduran and Nic smokes so I can get them on the cheap of cbid. :ss

doctorcue 10-24-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratters (Post 31926)
Yes, because then demand will drop for my Honduran and Nic smokes so I can get them on the cheap of cbid. :ss

Steve is crossing his fingers that those Camachos are going to be cheap!!!!! :ss

Mark C 10-24-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinCozy (Post 31859)
So why do some dodge certain years?

Can't control the weather.

taltos 10-24-2008 06:14 AM

I voted no and will continue to vote no until Cuba voluntarily starts to make reparations to US companies and individuals who had assets nationalized and until their human rights abuses end.

skibumdc 10-24-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Pride in the work has nothing to do with the Gov't control and the distribution. The workers do what the Gov't says....it's called communism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poker (Post 31857)
theres an embargo? :ss

:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 32045)
Can't control the weather.

Nope. Cuba during some years had BAD quality control issues. CA magazine has talked about it and so have other forums. They blew up production and the quality suffered. They eventually scaled back down production until they could get it under control.

Habanos SA has said they are ready for the increased demand and scalable production if need be. But then again this is a gov't controlled organization so they speak what the gov't tells them to.

Also Most fo the farms changed the tobacco plant types to yield more crop per acre which changed the taste in 2003. It's why people covet pre-2003 cubans...that and they have at least 5 years of age on them.

ucla695 10-24-2008 06:36 AM

Yes. I think quality would suffer initially, but it would eventualy come back.

Pyro 10-24-2008 07:03 AM

The most interesting thing with a dropped embargo would be all new blends where the producers outside Cuba could start to incorporate Cuban leaf in their blends. If they were successful in combining the best of both worlds...WOW! :dr

Clampdown 10-24-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikk50 (Post 31913)
Too much bad blood between the US and Cuba, I think they would stiff us on oil, even if we lifted the embargo

The same could have been said with the United States and Soviet Union/Russia and we trade with one another. Hell, half of our friends today were at one time on our S list. I would like to see the embargo lifted because I think its an archaic policy that isn’t working, and the only people that have paid the price are the Cuban people. However, selfish reasons make me worry about the quality of the VCRs and TVs that I will be receiving from my friends down south.

Pyrokin 10-24-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 32199)
The most interesting thing with a dropped embargo would be all new blends where the producers outside Cuba could start to incorporate Cuban leaf in their blends. If they were successful in combining the best of both worlds...WOW! :dr

I would have to agree with someone who has such an awsome name. :ss

borndead1 10-24-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 32199)

:tpd::tpd::tpd:

YES!!!!!!!!!! Personally, I can hardly wait for that to happen. Imagine the blending possibilities!!!!!

dunng 10-24-2008 07:59 AM

I voted Yes... but I am afraid of change... :ss