Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Just purchased (old) X-tend lighter (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40241)

staminator 12-19-2010 01:19 AM

Just purchased (old) X-tend lighter

I walked into a local shop yesterday and found the ST Dupont X-tend lighter marked for sale at $120. Knowing that these lighters usually went for more money I inquired a bit farther and was told by someone who barely knew English that he could take 25% off the top. I thought this was too good to be true. Then the best part...he tells me after I hesitated a bit longer that with 25% percent off, the lighter would cost me no more than $75. I feel like English wasn't his only weak point...... :bhd :r

I went and took some money out of the ATM, and ended up with $76 in my wallet, seeing how far I could play this out. He took his 25% off and gave me the total (obviously more than $76). He ended up giving me the lighter for the money I had after a quick haggle. :)

I took the lighter home and was looking through the documentation and saw that it was printed in June 2000!!! Um...I wasn't took excited about that. So I just bought a 10 year old lighter. Honestly though, it works great!! I'm loving it and what a steal!

The ignitor button is a little bit stiff, but seems to be getting better with use (3 cigars of use actually - I feel like a bit of a chimney after today -(P ). Anybody else with an X-tend have a similar issue?

Anywaaaays...I had to share the story!!

staminator 12-19-2010 01:25 AM

Re: Just purchased (old) X-tend lighter

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=5063

There she is :)

Wolfgang 12-19-2010 01:33 AM

IMO the older ones are better. Does it say "made in france" on the bottom opposite the fuel view window? Now they are made in china and have removed the fuel window.

staminator 12-19-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 1098984)
IMO the older ones are better. Does it say "made in france" on the bottom opposite the fuel view window? Now they are made in china and have removed the fuel window.

It most certainly does! :) Sweet! The fuel window is nice to have.

Wolfgang 12-19-2010 01:38 AM

another fun little trick. If you light the lighter then turn it upside down and while upside down release the bar the doors should stay open when you turn it right side up again.

staminator 12-19-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 1098986)
another fun little trick. If you light the lighter then turn it upside down and while upside down release the bar the doors should stay open when you turn it right side up again.

I just tried it, and it didn't seem to work for me. However, one cool thing is if the lighter is upside down there is a "safety" and the doors will not open whatsoever.

Wolfgang 12-19-2010 01:45 AM

you have to light it before you turn it upsidedown. The safty is EXTREMLY nice I know its the holidays but im sure no one likes roasted nuts

staminator 12-19-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 1098990)
you have to light it before you turn it upsidedown. The safty is EXTREMLY nice I know its the holidays but im sure no one likes roasted nuts

:r:r:r So true.

I still can't get it to work...maybe the model I have is slightly different from the one you are thinking of.

kelmac07 12-19-2010 12:24 PM

Nice grab!! :D

CigarGuy88 12-19-2010 12:27 PM

Nick you have moved into the realm of the obsessed.... Welcome :)

Bill86 12-19-2010 12:32 PM

Nice Grab! You definitely got like 50-55% off the price they are going for now a days. :tu

Krish the Fish 12-22-2010 03:11 AM

Good work sir! I got my first MaxiJet (as they call them nowadays) for full price in matte black. It was beautiful, but as I was moving at the end of last summer, I somehow lost both my brand new Carbon Fiber Palio (which I had never even used) and my MaxiJet. Fortunately, however, I won an Xtend off cbid at one point, and it was backordered. They finally gave me the option of getting a glossy red one, which I took, and it ended up being an old "Made in France" one. I was stoked.

Anyways, long story behind us, great find! I found that my Made in France one had a bit of a "stickier" ignition (in that it was more stiff), but the flame sounded more substantial and there was less "leakage" of fuel at the end of a burn. I hope you enjoy your new lighter!