Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Panned cigars you enjoy (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67692)

RevSmoke 09-07-2014 07:29 PM

Panned cigars you enjoy

OK, here is an interesting twist to start a discussion. What is the cigar that you really enjoy, but seems to be downplayed, or it is rated poorly - here or someplace else. For example, Gurkhas are generally thought to be overhyped and overpriced, and most consider them dog rockets - but someone must like them because they sell a lot of them.

I remember the Havana Classico line in the late 1990s. They came out and were priced a bit out of line. Then JR snatched up a snot-load of them at ridiculous prices and sold them cheaply. I picked up a few boxes at ridiculously low prices (they were marketed at $10+ a stick) and they were an excellent cigar (I don't spend $10 on a cigar now 15 years later). Anyway, I got some of the real bargain version over on CI as cheap smoke to give away to moochers and to burn as a quickie (they are 5X32). Well, surprisingly, I enjoy them as a quickie. And at about $.50 a stick, they are better than a Swisher by a dam site - for a hand-rolled, long filler cigar, with a capped head... not bad at all. (yes, I took one apart to see that it was long filler.

I also enjoy a number of cigars that get little or no press, I do not know if they are panned, but as many here know, I enjoy some of the old stalwart standbys that have been around for many years - El Rey del Mundo Robustos being at the top of the list, and Punch Rothschilds, both of which are much as I remember them from many years past.

So, what cigar is out there that you enjoy which is either panned, avoided, disparaged, ridiculed, thought of as a "cheap cigar", a "yard gar", or simply ignored?

Ogre 09-07-2014 07:32 PM

Re: Panned cigars you enjoy

CI Legends Red (perdomo)

Dude Here 09-07-2014 07:43 PM

Cigar.com House Blends, especially the Purple Label. A nice, middle of the road smoke. Cheap too!

TXSmokey 09-07-2014 09:14 PM

Quorum, they're cheap everyday smokes. and not bad for the price

Stinky 09-07-2014 10:40 PM

what does "panned" mean?

RevSmoke 09-08-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky (Post 1985177)
what does "panned" mean?

Webster says - Panned: (Verb used with object) Informal. to criticize severely, as in a review of a play.

In regard to cigars, when someone states their dislike of a particular cigar.

pektel 09-08-2014 06:25 AM

Ah, the moped question.

Mine would be Quintero Nacionales (CC). I bought a box a few years ago because of price. I was happily surprised with the cigar, and have bought more boxes since then.

dave 09-08-2014 08:34 AM

Easy. Even as my tastes have largely moved into snobby territory, I still really enjoy Tierra del Sol Corona Maduro. ONLY that size and only maduro. Can't STAND any other TdS, but these are great in the morning.....nearly every fishing trip drive with coffee. I'm fine with the panning....as long as I can continue to get these for a buck on CBID, I'm a happy fisher.

The Poet 09-08-2014 09:17 AM

I'm not sure my nomination is so much "panned" as it is ignored, but I would submit for consideration the entire JR Ultimate line of cigars. They are available in vitola and wrapper choices to suit anyone's wish, and offer well-constructed, well-aged, and decidedly tasty cigars which are often significantly lower in price than counterparts.

Nota bene, I refer to the ULTIMATE line, and not the Alternatives. Those are at best smokeable yard 'gars whose main attraction is affordability.

czerbe 09-08-2014 09:19 AM

The cigar that started it all for me was Partagas Black label!

ApexAZ 09-08-2014 11:26 AM

Gurkha...?

I think the NC Punch Rare Corojo classifies as this for me. I really like them, but they don't seem to be too popular.

RevSmoke 09-08-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1985227)
I'm not sure my nomination is so much "panned" as it is ignored, but I would submit for consideration the entire JR Ultimate line of cigars. They are available in vitola and wrapper choices to suit anyone's wish, and offer well-constructed, well-aged, and decidedly tasty cigars which are often significantly lower in price than counterparts.

Nota bene, I refer to the ULTIMATE line, and not the Alternatives. Those are at best smokeable yard 'gars whose main attraction is affordability.

I have had the Principales in the Oscuro and Candela, in fact, the only Candela that I ever enjoyed, it was incredible.

baust55 09-08-2014 01:59 PM

Nicarao Havana Sun grown torpedos .

I have been getting them for $1.50 to $2

pattersong 09-08-2014 02:21 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to be honest here and admit their cigar is the 'Century Sam'

... :po

shilala 09-08-2014 03:36 PM

I agree with Brian, the Punch Rare Corojo was one of my faves when I started smoking regular. Sancho Panza's are excellent smokes. Maduro and Extra Fuerte are both awesome. I don't think they get panned as much as they get no talk.

Litto Gomex Diez seems to get no stroke at all. You and I have had this discussion, Toddster.
Not the La Flor Dominicana line, they do get some talk. But I truly feel that the LGD line is far and away superior to any of the LFD stuff.

I can't think of anything I smoke that gets bagged on. Gurkha, I suppose. I used to like the Nepalese Warrior and one other, can't remember what it is right now. Wasn't the Doble Maduro, they were awful. Someone will mention it, I've heard a number of guys say they weren't a bad smoke.
I looked to try to find the name of them, they must be discontinued.

WhiteMamba 09-08-2014 05:07 PM

I like a lot of different connies. They get panned on here by a lot of guys. My favorite is RP 99 but they're not exactly cheap but they can be found for around $3 if you look in the right place.

usafvet509 09-08-2014 06:25 PM

5 Vegas Gold Maduro, I read a lot of bad about 'em, but I like them. Also, I seem to really like Hondurans (HDM, Punch, Camacho, CAO)

TJtorpedo 09-08-2014 06:52 PM

A few that I like to keep around are:

5 Vegas Cask Strength
J. Fuego Origen and Origen Maduro
Pinar del Rio Oscuro

I don't think any of the above are frowned upon or panned per se, but they are solid cheapies that I enjoy. The PDRs in particular, since they can be had all day long for under $2 a stick.

Wharf Rat 09-08-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1985298)

I can't think of anything I smoke that gets bagged on. Gurkha, I suppose. I used to like the Nepalese Warrior and one other, can't remember what it is right now. Wasn't the Doble Maduro, they were awful. Someone will mention it, I've heard a number of guys say they weren't a bad smoke.
I looked to try to find the name of them, they must be discontinued.

I also liked the Warriors. Still have a bunch floating around. Need to pull one out!

jhedrick83 09-08-2014 09:17 PM

Rocky Patel Olde World Maduro Toros. Rocky gets a lot of hate (rightfully so sometimes) but I love these!