Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Grinder and Press Suggestions (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37761)

Bill86 10-19-2010 02:12 AM

Grinder and Press Suggestions

So with Christmas coming I'm deciding what to get the parents. Seeing as how my dad works from home and drinks a pot of coffee a day I figure an upgrade would be a nice gift to get him through the daily grind.

Budget $200

Need a good grinder and decent press.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

smelvis 10-19-2010 02:51 AM

Re: Grinder and Press Suggestions

I'll answer tomorrow to late tonight but I think I can get you what I have in a cheaper version for that price.

Dave

bigdix 10-19-2010 03:56 AM

A classic Bodum press can't be beat. I worked for years as a sous chef in a French brasserie and we used these. Krups makes nice grinders (I prefer the electric ones...I'm lazy!) :2

bigdix 10-19-2010 03:59 AM

Bodum Press: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.as...4UJCCW1T2J41M4

Krups Grinder: http://www.krups.com/All+Products/co.../GVX2/GVX2.htm

BloodSpite 10-19-2010 10:03 AM

Big is right. Bodum is it hands down. I've had my Kenya model for quite a while and are all reasonably priced and work excellent.

Try to get one that the screen can be separated from the stem. This will make cleaning a whole lot easier. Otherwise just about any press by Bodun is a good choice

There are different types of grinders however. Conical Burr grinders are absolutely the best but they aren't cheap. Wheel burrs are a step down are are mid range. Blade grinders are the low end of the spectrum but they do the job, however sometimes the cuts can be inconsistent.

With the latter I've found entire beans still be in my grind, having never been touched by a blade. Essentially wasted coffee. If you can afford it go for a burr type grinder.

GolfNut 10-19-2010 10:10 AM

Here's the one we had before the house fire ate it. Awesome consistent grind and it's on sale now! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ..._-NoMerchRules http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimg...039/img57m.jpg

mosesbotbol 10-19-2010 10:16 AM

Solis makes a decent budget grinder.

Bill86 10-19-2010 05:04 PM

What are the warranties like on these? I keep looking on amazon and it seems people crap on every single coffee grinder and press available for one reason or another.

Mister Moo 10-19-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1029245)
... people crap on every single coffee grinder and press available for one reason or another.

One for life and essentially uncrappable. Granted, the budget is somewhat screwed but still uncrappable:

Rocky (Rancilio) Grinder
Bodum Columbia press pot

Barely crappable (and within budget):

Krups or Baratza Maestro burr mill
odum Columbia press pot

Bill86 10-20-2010 01:07 AM

I saw that Baratza Maestro and bodum columbia press pot. I'll order those....the old man will be happy once I persuade him to gain the patience to make GOOD coffee every morning :r:r:r, It may take a bit....

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Mister Moo 10-20-2010 05:32 AM

Get the biggest Columbia; you can top it up or fill it part way. Keeps coffee hot for a couple of hours - never goes bitter sitting in the pot (old coffee-wives tale).

mosesbotbol 10-20-2010 06:21 AM

Make sure you buy Urnex Cafiza coffee pot cleaner. This is vital to making a good french press. Dishwashing soap only goes so far.

I'll pour the fresh french press into a Thremos and it works great to keep it hot.

jmsremax 10-20-2010 06:43 AM

Any more ideas? I am in the same boat....interested in trying the press way of making coffee.

gvarsity 10-20-2010 10:54 AM

I love the planetary design tabletop press. Double walled insulated stainless. Almost indestructible keeps your coffee scalding hot way longer than it should take you to drink it and they come in cool colors.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/produc...ion=tabletop32

As for a grinder like everyone says they are not cheap. I saw a rocky for 150$ on my local craigslist so you never know when you can find a deal. I personally use a Amand Trosser hand grinder I picked up at a antique store for about 30$. Wouldn't necessarily use it to make espresso but for french press it is great.

Since you are looking at a french press and as a gift for your folks and not for a hobbiest heading down the coffee slope IMHO you have more options on your grinder. I would go for the best burr grinder that you are willing to spring for. I know this is sacrilege but especially for French Press for non coffee geeks grind isn't as important as reliability, ease of use and ease of cleaning. The main issue you are going to get with a less even grind is more sediment in the bottom of the pot and cup. If you don't drink the absolute last sip of either it is no big deal. You never even with the best grinder get totally sediment free coffee. If they really get into coffee and start heading down the slope you have gifts for next year.

Mister Moo 10-21-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvarsity (Post 1030129)
...As for a grinder like everyone says they are not cheap... ...I would go for the best burr grinder that you are willing to spring for...

Sad but true. Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.

The list of do-all "lifetime" grinders goes like: Rocky, Macap, Mazzer.

The list of "pretty darn good for french presses" goes like: Krups, Capresso, Maestro, KitchenAid.

The list of grinders that make "good press coffee, damn the sludge, full speed ahead" is any number of inexpensive hand grinders, whirley blades, canvas-bag-and-hammer, anything under $40 sold at Target called a coffee grinder.

floydpink 10-24-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1031349)
Sad but true. Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.

The list of do-all "lifetime" grinders goes like: Rocky, Macap, Mazzer.

The list of "pretty darn good for french presses" goes like: Krups, Capresso, Maestro, KitchenAid.

The list of grinders that make "good press coffee, damn the sludge, full speed ahead" is any number of inexpensive hand grinders, whirley blades, canvas-bag-and-hammer, anything under $40 sold at Target called a coffee grinder.

3 great grinders. Each with their own little quirks as well as loyal fans.
I'm in the Macap fan club.

Mister Moo 10-25-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 1035186)
3 great grinders. Each with their own little quirks as well as loyal fans.
I'm in the Macap fan club.

My Mazzer has few quirks than its owner.

Mister Moo 10-25-2010 05:35 AM

Bill86: grinders for paper/metal filtered drip and french presses can cover a lot of ground for under $150. If you don't mind a little (or a lot of) sludge at the bottom of your cup (I don't) then a whirley blade coffee bean chopper-smasher can do an OK job for $20. They're not the best but they work.

As prices go up quality and durability change a lot. Besides a more controllable, uniform grind (which opens up use of mokapots, turkish pots and espresso makers) better grinders, as a rule, perform better over time and last longer. I usually suggest getting the best possible grinder if you genuinely enjoy coffee and expect to brew a pot or more each day. A good $300 grinder will not only help you make better coffee but it'll probably outlive a few $100 units. I wish everything in the world worked as well a a Mazzer.

smelvis 10-25-2010 05:47 AM

Alright I forgot I said I would say what I use. The total between the two is a little over your amount but if you take the basic grinder you are close and you would have in my opinion one of the best grinder/press combos out there. I have these and love them.

What they all said is true,

Amazon.com: Bodum 1308-16 Columbia 8-Cup Stainless-Steel Thermal Press Pot: Kitchen & Dining

as far as bur grinders I have this one.

Amazon.com: Virtuoso Coffee Grinder: Home & Garden

I don't drink much anymore but when I do I like good stuff, I also believe in certain things like this to buy one that will last forever, or close to it. LOL

mosesbotbol 10-25-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1035719)
A good $300 grinder will not only help you make better coffee but it'll probably outlive a few $100 units. I wish everything in the world worked as well a a Mazzer.

Excellent advice.