Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Diesel "Unholy Coctail" (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24463)

Zanaspus 11-10-2009 04:24 PM

Diesel "Unholy Coctail"

Alright, if I've learned anything so far, it's to let cigars rest a bit after receiving them. That being said, these showed up on my doorstep today, and they were just so damned beautiful I had to sin. There's only one vitola out there, so I won't bore you with the details.

Prelight: This thing is gorgeous; dark, oily, and a prelight aroma...let's just say I grew up in the county due north of Lancaster so I know that the Amish use only "natural" fertilizer. This thing smelled like a drive through Lancaster County on a bright spring day. "Barnyard" does not come close to doing it justice.

Let me regress by say I normally am not a big fan of torpedoes as I've found the draw can often be dodgy, but this one was nothing short of perfect. Not much flavor apart from tobacco on the prelight draw.

First 1/3: This kicked off with a bit of spice, which is normal, and serious double espresso. Normally, when people say "coffee," what I get is bitter, but no, this is like sitting at a cafe sipping fresh, well-made espresso. The spice quickly fades, and it is just a wonderful espresso for the rest of the third.

Second 1/3: Almost on queue, the flavor morphs into earth, raisin and dark cocoa. Wow! This baby is just doing nothing short of putting a smile on my face.

Final 1/3: Again, almost on queue, as if the cigar were saying "Please review me in thirds," the flavor changes. The earth and cocoa become serious leather which just builds stronger down to the nub. The raisin goes into pepper. Serious pepper! Black pepper, red pepper, white pepper...did I forget some colors of pepper? They were there too. I nubbed this bad boy like no tomorrow.

It did have some burn issues, but nothing to be unexpected of a smoke ROTT, and certainly nothing to detract from my one hour and 45 minute love-affair.

Value: Depending on source and resourcefulness, this can be had for $2.50 to $3.33/stick. Oh so worth it at twice the price. A new entry, and number 20 in my top 5 by my count. :dr

I am in love with this cigar!

Would I buy it again? And again...and again...

Did I mention I loved this cigar?

Kreth 11-10-2009 04:46 PM

Re: Diesel "Unholy Coctail"

Thanks for the review. MrOneEyedBoh bombed me with one of these and I'm letting it rest a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skywalker 11-10-2009 04:46 PM

I saw these on sale a few days ago but passed due to the lack of information!!!

Thank you for the review!:tu

Now I need to wait for another sale!!!

dannysguitar 11-10-2009 04:59 PM

Mine arrive tomorrow, I can't wait to light them up!

tenbaseg 11-10-2009 05:37 PM

Great review. Thank you. You've got me very curious about trying one of these.

acarr 11-10-2009 05:41 PM

This is something I have never heard of but I am also interested in trying one of these now.

SkinsFanLarry 11-10-2009 05:51 PM

Re: Diesel "Unholy Cocktail"

CI has them for $99.95 for a box of 30.

"Unholy Cocktail" Torpedo

(do not confuse this Diesel cigar with the one that was put out by Rocky Patel several years back!)

SkinsFanLarry 11-10-2009 05:55 PM

Here's a little more about them from Cigar.com....

One of A.J. Fernandez's most recent gems, Diesel exudes a ton of full-flavors in a medium to full-bodied format allowing for a stout, complex experience with perfect balance.

Abdel "AJ" Fernandez is the protégé of Don Alejandro Robaina, the man who is considered to be the “Godfather” of tobacco. After spending most of his life studying in Cuba under Don Alejandro, Abdel Fernandez moved to Nicaragua to begin producing his own cigars. After only 6 years, Abdel currently produces Rocky Patel’s Fusion, Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary, Padilla Habano, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Man O' War and Man O' War Ruination, all of which received rave reviews.

Only available in a stout 5"x56 belicoso, Diesel exudes a unique leathery and spicy flavor with a toasty core of espresso beans. The package has a classic, rustic look while the blend is perfectly balanced and will appeal to any aficionado who appreciates premium tobacco. Boasting fillers from Nicaragua's Jalapa, Condega and Esteli regions, each and every leaf is aged for three years, then concealed with a dark and oily Pennsylvania Broadleaf wrapper. This is one unique cigar you're sure to love.

BeerAdvocate 11-10-2009 06:24 PM

I knew I shouldnt have passed these up! :(

Starscream 11-10-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanaspus (Post 639984)
number 20 in my top 5 by my count. :dr

:confused:

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to try this one.:tu

kelmac07 11-10-2009 06:34 PM

Sounds like my kind of stick...pepper, pepper, and more pepper!! :tu Just ordered a 5er!!! Thanks for the tip!! :tu

s15driftking 11-10-2009 06:48 PM

Damn, i want one now!!!

poriggity 11-10-2009 06:49 PM

I should have 10 of these waiting for me tomorrow when I get to work. Can't wait!
Scott

Zanaspus 11-10-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanaspus (Post 639984)
A new entry, and number 20 in my top 5 by my count. :dr

:r
This goes back to my first love, music. At several points in my life I've wanted to complile a 10 best songs of all times list, but I came to realize that this changes with time, mood, etc. So when I hear a great song now, I say, "This is one of the 1000 10 greatest songs of all times.

I figure someday soon, I'll have a 100 top fives cigars of all times. :tu

kenstogie 11-10-2009 07:24 PM

I always seriously consider the AJ Fernandez blends.

Starscream 11-10-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanaspus (Post 640163)

:r
This goes back to my first love, music. At several points in my life I've wanted to complile a 10 best songs of all times list, but I came to realize that this changes with time, mood, etc. So when I hear a great song now, I say, "This is one of the 1000 10 greatest songs of all times.

I figure someday soon, I'll have a 100 top fives cigars of all times. :tu

:tu

roughrider 11-10-2009 09:36 PM

I'm curious about these too. Thanks for the review.

AlohaStyle 11-10-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks for the mouth watering review! I also have 10 coming to me in the mail and can't wait!

captain53 11-11-2009 08:08 AM

Good Review, I keep hearing about these and they are a regular CI special but I can never find enough info to make me bite. Now I will definitely bite on the next good buy offer.:tu

cwfrasa 11-11-2009 10:24 AM

Tony,

Thanks for the review. I too am a fellow sinner as my order showed up yesterday too. The first stick didnt even make it in the house....

Everything in the review was spot on to my exp. Cant wait to try these with a bit of rest on them.....