Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Yet another smartphone thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65833)

markem 03-15-2014 10:50 AM

Yet another smartphone thread

We are considering going away from our iPhone 4s phones to something new. It has to be on the ATT network because we like them. l have heard a lot about the Samsung Galaxy lineup (the very very big lineup) and am interested in hearing from people who have made the switch from the iPhone to a Galaxy (of some kind).

We mostly use it for calling (!), text messages, camera, music, web browsing. We sync contacts to Google. We do check gmail, but we use the gmail app on the iPhone, not the Apple mail tool.

So, who's done this and how was your experience. I already know about smart-switch and iSyncr but if you have used them it would be nice to know about possible issues - I've read about the old problem of it dropping contact phone numbers and hope it is resolved.

advaTHANKSnce

bighairlogo 03-15-2014 01:21 PM

Re: Yet another smartphone thread

isyncr has been a little buggy here and there. Galaxy s3 and s4 are great phones, android is a very different operating system than iOS so there is a learning curve with it. Honestly if you don't do a lot on the phone I would get an iPhone but if you want to change you can't go wrong with any of the current Samsung phones.

maninblack 03-15-2014 01:59 PM

Love my Samsung Note 2. Much better than my old iPhone

JoeCool87TC 03-17-2014 11:06 AM

Haven't switched from iPhone (wouldn't own an Apple product) but I recently purchased a Google Nexus 5 direct from Google Play. Excellent price ($399 for 32GB), unlocked. Works with several different carriers, for sure on AT&T, that's the system I'm on (through Consumer Cellular).

Great phone, I like it much better than the Motorola Droid-X I used to have on Verizon. Really nice display, fast, plenty of memory, out-of-the-box ready for wireless charging (a really nice feature). Only downside I can see is I need to charge it daily, but then again I use it a lot.

Hope this helps, good luck in your search and acquisition.

MrClean 03-17-2014 11:51 AM

Sorry Mark, I'm no help as far as switching from an iPhone, but I've used both the Note 2 and now the Note 3. My wife has the S3, I've been very pleased with the Samsung phones. Everyone always says, 'look how big that screen is, I wouldn't like carrying that thing around'. But after using it for a few months, I don't see how I ever survived with a smaller screen, plus it fits my hand better.
The one factor that kept me away from the iPhone was the inability to swap out batteries. I'm never tied to a charging cable with 2 spare batteries. :D
Good luck in your search for the right phone!

irratebass 03-17-2014 11:58 AM

Love my Note 3 :tu

czerbe 03-17-2014 12:13 PM

I have the 4 s and love it then again I hate all things Apple so...... ya know

CigarNut 03-17-2014 12:49 PM

Some caveats when you switch from an iPhone to something else:

- Facetime will no longer work and I am not aware of a good alternative (moot if you don't use it)
- All of your friends with iPhones will need to delete your contact info -- entirely -- and then create a new contact for you. This is because of the way contact info between iPhone users is tied to iMessage

After deleting your contact info any text (iMessage) messages that were sent between you will be lost, so if there is anything important (pictures, videos, other info) it all needs to be saved first.

As long as you warn your contacts with iPhones all will be fine. Otherwise, they will have difficulties sending you text messages (or using any iMessage based services).

We found all of this out the hard way when our son switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4.

Ogre 03-17-2014 01:07 PM

I went from an I-Phone to a Galaxy S-3 and I love it. I dont think I would ever switch back.