Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My Cuban Wheel review (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56329)

TanithT 06-14-2012 12:57 AM

My Cuban Wheel review

I was one of the lucky winners in the My Cuban Wheel giveaway, and got a lovely box which can be seen here: http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...heel%20Cigars/

Tasty sticks, these. Impeccable construction, nice draw, even burn. Slightly flaky ash, but that didn't detract from the taste one bit.

I'd characterize the No. 1 as light progressing to medium bodied, smooth, elegant, well structured, with hints of woodsiness, creaminess and caramel sweetness. I am not normally a fan of lighter cigars, but this one won me over with its clean structure of fine flavors and its lingering, thoroughly enjoyable finish.

The No. 11 was medium bodied progressing to full, with a lot of similarity in flavor and structure to the No. 1, but with more richness and power and less sweetness. Clean, elegant and well structured, with a consistently enjoyable progression of subtle flavor.

These cigars are not powerhouses, nor do they have clearly and readily identifiable flavor notes that come out and hit you in the face with chocolate or pepper or spice. What they do have is elegance and superb flavor balance. I'm giving this brand a solid thumbs-up; there is a lot of subtle complexity and quality here, and the construction is excellent. These are really very nice cigars, and I'm looking forward to trying more of them.

Hem 06-14-2012 05:18 AM

Re: My Cuban Wheel review

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanithT (Post 1656244)
I was one of the lucky winners in the My Cuban Wheel giveaway, and got a lovely box which can be seen here: http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...heel%20Cigars/

Tasty sticks, these. Impeccable construction, nice draw, even burn. Slightly flaky ash, but that didn't detract from the taste one bit.

I'd characterize the No. 1 as light progressing to medium bodied, smooth, elegant, well structured, with hints of woodsiness, creaminess and caramel sweetness. I am not normally a fan of lighter cigars, but this one won me over with its clean structure of fine flavors and its lingering, thoroughly enjoyable finish.

The No. 11 was medium bodied progressing to full, with a lot of similarity in flavor and structure to the No. 1, but with more richness and power and less sweetness. Clean, elegant and well structured, with a consistently enjoyable progression of subtle flavor.

These cigars are not powerhouses, nor do they have clearly and readily identifiable flavor notes that come out and hit you in the face with chocolate or pepper or spice. What they do have is elegance and superb flavor balance. I'm giving this brand a solid thumbs-up; there is a lot of subtle complexity and quality here, and the construction is excellent. These are really very nice cigars, and I'm looking forward to trying more of them.

Great review! My box came in yesterday, can't wait to light one of these up today!!

688sonarmen 06-14-2012 05:22 AM

Thanks for the review Tanith!

Blak Smyth 06-14-2012 05:23 AM

Sounds interesting, was hoping to see a review of these soon.
Thanks.

BlkDrew 06-14-2012 06:10 AM

Can we See some pictures of these sticks?

kickerb 06-14-2012 07:51 AM

Drew, there is a link in the OP.

I was able to get 2 of these sticks to try. I'll get to them this weekend. I will post my thoughts as well.

Jefft72 06-14-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks for the review. I look forward to smoking one of these (at least) this weekend.

mkarnold1 06-14-2012 09:19 AM

Nice review Tanith, it sounds like your experience with the II was similar to mine. I am looking forward to trying the I today.

icehog3 06-14-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkDrew (Post 1656311)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/moreno-1.jpg

TanithT 06-14-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkDrew (Post 1656311)

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...heel%20Cigars/ is the link where you can see some droolsome pictures of the tasty sticks.

kickerb 06-18-2012 06:41 AM

I really enjoyes No 1 blend. No 2 was just okay in my book.

Subvet642 06-18-2012 06:48 AM

The two I tried to smoke this weekend ran and tunneled right out of the gate, sadly I had to pitch 'em. I don't think I can give them a third try.

688sonarmen 06-18-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1659538)
The two I tried to smoke this weekend ran and tunneled right out of the gate, sadly I had to pitch 'em. I don't think I can give them a third try.

Try letting them rest Darren. Mine were very moist when I got them, if not they were free in the end:tu

Subvet642 06-18-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 688sonarmen (Post 1659595)
Try letting them rest Darren. Mine were very moist when I got them, if not they were free in the end:tu

That's a good point, Jake. I was just frustrated after reading how good these were ROTT.

Jefft72 06-18-2012 08:31 AM

Also, Moreno noted on the MCW facebook page that some dry boxing will really help these sticks come alive as he gave them some extra humidity prior to shipping.

TanithT 06-18-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1659538)

Smoking my third one out of the box right now, the #1 in the torpedo shape. Perfect burn and draw. Subtle, woodsy, aromatic and tasty with a nice clean finish. Rest and dry boxing might help some?

lenguamor 09-03-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hem (Post 1656291)
Great review! My box came in yesterday, can't wait to light one of these up today!!

Thanks for the sample in my July lottery winnings, Bill. Thanks to you I can say I've tried one of these.

The flavors were of baked goods; reminded me somewhat of biscotti, with almond and vanilla undertones. Berries and currants in the finish. The smoke was lush. The size of the #II is huge, much more than I like, so I only got about halfway through the stick. But I got every bit of enjoyment out of it that I wanted.

In this new cigar boom we're experiencing, we're going to see a lot of opportunists starting up brands with catchy names and not much else; it's good to smoke a cigar like this one, in which you can taste not only the expertise of the maker, but the love he has for the leaf.

Bravo, Moreno. Keep it up.

363 09-03-2012 07:00 PM

I got one in a NST, the No.II gonna light it up tonight

Scrap 11-20-2012 08:35 PM

Just ordered the Sampler!
Most of the time,I like medium to full,We will see!-(P
Ernie

deadrise 11-23-2012 02:41 AM

yea I just ordered a sampler too and talked to the owner he said the samplers are stored in 72% and really do need to be dry boxed or aged at 65% btw they are having a great black friday sale