Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Shuriken cutter (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47771)

TXRebel 07-25-2011 09:37 AM

Shuriken cutter

http://www.cigarweekly.com/uimages/F...ic_resized.jpg
Thoughts? Has anyone, that attended the IPCPR, tried one? It is suppose to work on all shapes.

MrOneEyedBoh 07-25-2011 09:48 AM

Re: Shuriken cutter

Here is some info on it. Looks pretty cool

http://cigars.about.com/b/2011/07/13...gar-cutter.htm

Sure why fix it if it isn't broke, but it's always cool to try something new.

kelmac07 07-25-2011 10:01 AM

Interesting.

T.G 07-25-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Cigar Tech is introducing a revolutionary new cigar cutter design they are calling "SHURIKEN"("blade hidden in the hand"), otherwise known as a Japanese throwing star. The cutter, which looks like a giant capsule, has 6 razor sharp blades inside that cut slits around the top of the cigar. This allows the smoker to control the draw of their cigar by the amount of pressure applied. The new term for this cutting technique is called "I Draw Technology." The cutter will be available in plastic composite models with a $20.00 SRP, as well as various anodized aluminum models with SRP's ranging from $35.00-$40.00.

"The SHURIKEN cut draws the smoke evenly throughout the cigar, resulting in a cooler, more flavorful smoke," said Belinda Doyle, the founder of Cigar Tech. "It positions the smoke onto the tongue where the most pleasant tastes are experienced, and the draw is controlled by the pressure of your mouth on the slits made by the cutter. It really is amazing to be able to control the draw of virtually any cigar with this unique cut."
Jezus, and I thought the NUB was a gimmicky pos...

I see lots of potential for tar issues due to the nature of the cuts.

Krish the Fish 07-25-2011 10:06 AM

We had a rep from the company come by at a cigar event at a B&M near me at the beginning of the summer. He showed us how to use the cutter. You've got to cut into the head of the cigar and then *bite down* on the cap a little bit to open up the slits. It's an interesting cutter, but I prefer guillotines at this point.

Ranger_B 07-25-2011 10:11 AM

I have my palio and that cuts everything I need. Look pretty neat though. I do not see this fad picking up though.

neoflex 07-25-2011 10:17 AM

I think I will stick to the old tried and true methods.

N2 GOLD 07-25-2011 10:45 AM

VERY Interesting... :hm

I wonder if you could get the same results from an exacto knife(razor)??? I'm just say before you pop $20-$40... Do some R&D frist... -(P

Tbagley 07-25-2011 11:03 AM

I envision tar balls like one would find on the beach.

BeerAdvocate 07-25-2011 11:05 AM

Why re-invite the wheel?

mariogolbee 07-25-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1348937)
I see lots of potential for tar issues due to the nature of the cuts.

Agreed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoflex (Post 1348945)
I think I will stick to the old tried and true methods.

Cigar scissors?
Quote:

Originally Posted by N2 GOLD (Post 1348972)
I wonder if you could get the same results from an exacto knife(razor)??? I'm just say before you pop $20-$40... Do some R&D frist... -(P

This says the same thing of any cutter. I've used a box cutter for regular cuts and v-cuts. Some people use a knife for all of their cuts. Why spend $40+ on a Palio, Xikar. or any other cutter? Because they are designed for a purpose. Much as this one is.

I wonder if this thing actually works well. Surely their has been some testing done with it.

Ogre 07-25-2011 11:13 AM

My Xikar does me vary well. Don't need to try anything new.

Sherlockholms 07-27-2011 06:46 PM

Looks interesting, but I am not I would use that method.

Bill86 07-27-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 1348996)
Why re-invite the wheel?

:tpd:

This.

I can see why it might be interesting....but I would not buy one.

I dunno about the tar issues. I punch everything and I've probably punched 400-500 cigars with ZERO tar issues.

I just think this is WAY too gimmicky, I've never smoked a NuB never wanted to. This is the same type deal.

I'll pass.

EDIT I also think looking at the cuts this would definitely not work on a PPP situation. Also it cuts way too low into the cigar, at least IMO.

icehog3 07-28-2011 03:59 PM

I would definitely have one of these on hand if they ever perfect a time machine and I can go back to the 70's and smoke a cigar with Bruce Lee.

aaron72 07-28-2011 08:06 PM

I'm a bit surprised how most people don't even want to give it a try. I'd definitely like to give it a try to see if it changes up the flavor of the cigar at all. By keeping pretty much the entire cap on the cigar you might get different flavors by having more of the wrapper in your mouth.

kickerb 07-28-2011 08:17 PM

not sure, i do not get much flavor from mouth contact to the wrapper. to me all the flavor comes from the smoke.

mariogolbee 07-28-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron72 (Post 1352911)
I'm a bit surprised how most people don't even want to give it a try. I'd definitely like to give it a try to see if it changes up the flavor of the cigar at all. By keeping pretty much the entire cap on the cigar you might get different flavors by having more of the wrapper in your mouth.

I'd sure like to try one. I don't think I'd dish out $40 without trying one first though. If I had $100 I'd get one for free from CI right now.

TBone 07-28-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre (Post 1349006)
My Xikar does me vary well. Don't need to try anything new.

I'd agree about the Xikar Mac's works fine as for my Palio I'm having to send number 5 back as the tabs have bent up on it and its to tight causing damage to the cut.

SmokeyJoe 07-28-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1352516)
I would definitely have one of these on hand if they ever perfect a time machine and I can go back to the 70's and smoke a cigar with Bruce Lee.

Great! :tu

It could have been Bruce's greatest motion picture : "Enter the Icehog"

Battling Bruce with a variety of cutters and massive biceps. :ss