Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Most overrated cigar you've ever smoked? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64002)

Dude Here 11-06-2013 08:47 PM

Most overrated cigar you've ever smoked?

So we've all seen cigar advertising before. Beautiful pictures of cigars with wrappers emmiting an oily sheen. Usually a quote or two from some cigar industry higher up proclaiming how it's the best smoke they've ever had. And, more often then not, some sort of 90+ rating proudly displayed on the page. So one day you're out shopping, either online or at your B&M and you see it. That beautiful stick that garnered such praise and adulation that you can't help. It buy one (that $15 price tag be damned). A few hours (or days, weeks, months) later you're sitting down for a smoke, it's time to see what all the fuss was about. You light that bad boy up and............it stinks. Either the burn is terrible, it's poorly constructed or the flavors just plain suck. "But wait", you think to yourself, "this thing is supposed to be awesome, what happened here?" This ever happen to you?

For me this has been the story of the Ashton VSG. I have never had one that burned or drew correctly. Normally I would just think a bad box, right? However these were three different sticks, from three different retailers and they all had similar issues. Really frustrating considering the price tag these cigars carry. So, I pose the question to you my fellow cigar enthusiasts, what's the most overrated, underperforming cigar you've ever had?

MUNKY 11-06-2013 09:01 PM

Re: Most overrated cigar you've ever smoked?

Romeo, thing had mad rave reviews and boat loads of hype and thing was like eating a mouthful of charcoal to me. Totally disappointed I bought into the hype...

Dude Here 11-06-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUNKY (Post 1896968)
Romeo, thing had mad rave reviews and boat loads of hype and thing was like eating a mouthful of charcoal to me. Totally disappointed I bought into the hype...

I see those things EVERYWHERE. I've only had one RyJ before, years and years ago, and remember that is was like sucking ashy air through a straw. Haven't tried another one since.

JenksAnejo 11-06-2013 09:15 PM

Any Rocky Patel.. A bunch of guys at my B&M talk these up like they are the best cigars on the face of the earth... The only one I can stand is the decade but that's it.

I agree with the Romeo being overated as well. Heard nothing but rave reviews and I didn't even make it 15 mins in before pitching it.

T.G 11-06-2013 10:29 PM

The Gurkha that icehog3 recommend I try.

MrClean 11-06-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1896986)

:r

I haven't been smoking that long (2 years), I've definitely had some that I didn't care for or that I pitched after the first 1/3. But other than a few Rocky Patel sticks that I didn't care for I haven't had that big let down. I know it'll happen eventually.

icehog3 11-06-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1896986)

Et tu, Adam, et tu? :r

Any one of the Tatuaje Monsters....special mention to the megacrapilicious "Face".

Gabe215 11-07-2013 01:25 AM

Love this thread and glad to be part if it to see more comments people make! I know people will disagree with my post but here it is, all of Liga Privada Unico Series, I smoked pretty much all of it, hunted and tracked down all their offerings and what I found was it all kinda tasted the same. And the price put the foulest taste in my mouth, Dirty rats aren't bad but $13 a piece hell no! Tatuaje makes one of my favorite NC's Reserva SW, but... A lot of his stuff like DE use gimmicks and are way overhyped, everyone is on Jd's and PJ's balls!

Simpleman 11-07-2013 01:36 AM

I really disliked most AJF cigars.

Porch Dweller 11-07-2013 05:35 AM

Liga Privada #9.

Blak Smyth 11-07-2013 05:46 AM

Viaje Holiday Blend
T52 Flying Pig

dave 11-07-2013 06:58 AM

Overated: The cigars I didn't like.

Honestly, I don't begrudge those that like what they like. Last week I sat with an old friend who was having an RP 1990 and absolutely loved it. I haven't considered buying one in more than 6 years -- but, to him it certainly wasn't overated. I'd be more interested in how you judge what is overated.....are you comparing your taste with the reviews here and in other 'respected' forums? Or with advertising hype and CA ratings? I'm more likely to compare my personal assessment with that of the BOTL here. When using CA (and one or two other forums) for benchmarking, I don't know of any cigars that I'd cite as highly overated.

czerbe 11-07-2013 07:21 AM

If I have to pick one its a LPFFP it wasn't bad and the construction was great but lacked flavor in my opinion now I would like to try another one maybe it was just a bum stick but they are MIA in my area and I really don't want to pull the trigger on something that pricey.

BryanB 11-07-2013 07:32 AM

Opus X....any size.

chaase321 11-07-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1897017)
T52 Flying Pig

100% Agree ^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanB (Post 1897034)
Opus X....any size.

Also agree that these are WAY WAY over hyped, but I also don't care for anything Dominican, so i can't say too much bad about just the Opus line

CigarSquid 11-07-2013 07:50 AM

I had a God of Fire I hung on to for a couple of months, waiting for a good day to smoke it. I decided to break it out while at my fathers house, first time we smoked together.

Just a BLAH kinda smoke.. was no impressed. I wanted to toss it, but it wasn't bad, just way under.... taste.

It was gifted to me. I do not see the 25-29 dollar price tag for how it was. I am glad I didn't pay for it.

AdamJoshua 11-07-2013 08:32 AM

Drew Estate Papas Fritas

I remember when these were all the rage so I picked some up, I should have left them down. Not impressed at all.

Remo 11-07-2013 08:51 AM

Most overrated that I have personally smoked are:

Padron Anny Serie (all) good smokes just thought that they would be EPIC based on the hype.

Opus X..again good smoke but not a mind blower for what the hype is about.

Hyperbole....it's the best thing ever!!!!

Blak Smyth 11-07-2013 08:57 AM

I agree on all the Opus X references. There may not be a more hyped "premium" cigar out there that has been more of a dissapointment.

Remo 11-07-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1897051)
I agree on all the Opus X references. There may not be a more hyped "premium" cigar out there that has been more of a dissapointment.

I have a God of Fire that has been down for a few years, hoping it is hype worthy :tu