Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "Virtual" and/or "prepaid" credit Cards (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17983)

Mikepd 07-05-2009 10:26 AM

"Virtual" and/or "prepaid" credit Cards

Where do you guys get them issued?

LasciviousXXX 07-05-2009 10:27 AM

Re: "Virtual" and/or "prepaid" credit Cards

Bank of America issues Pre-paid credit cards. That's the only one I'm aware of :tu

Mikepd 07-05-2009 10:32 AM

Dustin, Do you have to be a member of the bank to get one?

Darrell 07-05-2009 10:34 AM

They have them at the grocery store here in several denominations all the way up to $500.

markem 07-05-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 452069)
They have them at the grocery store here in several denominations all the way up to $500.

:tpd: These are great. If you want to go higher, just buy more.

Virtual credit cards are a form of "virtual cash", a really neat security idea from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Here is a great article with names of some banks/companies doing the virtual.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4193...l-credit-cards

LasciviousXXX 07-05-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikepd (Post 452065)
Dustin, Do you have to be a member of the bank to get one?

I believe so brother.

Cigary 07-05-2009 12:01 PM

You can learn more about this type of card thru this site:
http://www.accountnow.com/

Smokin Gator 07-05-2009 12:24 PM

I have looked into the one from Western Union. It just seems a little expensive to set up and add money to it.

alley00p 07-05-2009 01:15 PM

I know that HayGal issues a MasterCard for one time use, but I'm not sure if someone could use MC to buy cigars online. Especially since haygal is so down on tobacco products.

I have used them occassionally to make other purchases online with no problem. If anyone has ever tried it and it works, that might be the way to go...

:dance:

Don Fernando 07-05-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 452203)
I know that HayGal issues a MasterCard for one time use, but I'm not sure if someone could use MC to buy cigars online.

all my online orders are paid with my MasterCard.

icehog3 07-05-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 452203)
I know that HayGal issues a MasterCard for one time use, but I'm not sure if someone could use MC to buy cigars online. Especially since haygal is so down on tobacco products.

I have used them occassionally to make other purchases online with no problem. If anyone has ever tried it and it works, that might be the way to go...

:dance:

Mastercard for cigars, yes.

A Mastercard issued by Payp*l for cigars? Sounds like a quick way to get your Payp*l account suspended. :2

BigAl_SC 07-05-2009 05:03 PM

Check and see if you have a 'Simon" mall around. They issue a Visa in any amount for $1. Best price around.

Col. Kurtz 07-05-2009 05:29 PM

Are there any issues with purchases not on US soil?

Though about loading one up, but not sure it would go through for int'l purposes.

NCRadioMan 07-05-2009 05:29 PM

The local Wal Mart has pre-paid Visa's available. If I am not mistaken they are only $1 as well.

markem 07-05-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 452218)
Mastercard for cigars, yes.

A Mastercard issued by Payp*l for cigars? Sounds like a quick way to get your Payp*l account suspended. :2

Read the fine print. As I recall, if someone offers a mastercard (or visa) but denies purchases for a vendor that is MC approved, well, they get their MC pulled by MC itself.

ChasDen 07-05-2009 06:11 PM

I have a MC issued by hey gal (actually a debit card but for all practical purposes its a MC) and I use it all the time to purchase cigars from all the major online vendors. One of them is cigar international and I'm pretty sure it shows up right on my hey gal account balance page as "cigars international". Its a great way to spend my hey gal money without having to ask for a check.

Chas

Silound 07-05-2009 06:38 PM

I'm fairly certain heygal cannot ban your account for using your MC issued by them at a legally licensed tobacco dealer, since they function just like any other commercial business does.

The ban on use of heygal to pay for tobacco products most likely originates from the inability to prevent sale to minors, ensure taxes are properly paid, and because eCrap doesn't allow the sale of tobacco and heygal is owned by eCrap.

awsmith4 07-05-2009 10:40 PM

Green Dot prepaid cards are available at many drugstores and grocery stores, I have used mine for every different transaction possible with no issues what so ever.

https://www.greendotonline.com/Contents/Login.aspx

sodomanaz 07-05-2009 11:14 PM

poopal issues these too if you dont want to actually leave your house.

shadow king 07-06-2009 01:07 AM

I recently applied for a Vision MC. It has a $1000 cap load. I thought it was going to be a great deal until I received the cardholder agreement booklet.

They hit you with so many nickel and dime charges that it's almost comical. Even when you cancel your card its $14.95. I haven't used it yet, not sure I will now. If Wal-Mart has prepaid cards there, I just might head over there and check them out.