Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to the Cigar Scene (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74823)

DOL_Pat 02-14-2019 04:53 PM

New to the Cigar Scene

Hello everyone!

I have owned and (sometimes poorly) maintained a humidor that was gifted to me during a deployment to Afghanistan in 2014. Since that time I have been a very casual cigar smoker who has always enjoyed the activity but never gotten involved with the community in any sort of in depth way. I just recently retired from the military in December of last year and now want to devote more of my new found free time to learning about and becoming a more active member of this community and and looking for advice from any of the aficionados out there that can help guide me.

Full disclosure I am also studying cigar culture as part of competing my undergraduate degree so I will also use my education to help write research papers about this journey that I am embarking on.

My humidor currently consists of several Camacho Powebands, a Romeo and Julieta 1875 Reserve, A Diesel whiskey row bourbon aged. I would like to diversify from here as well as learn more about the best ways to upkeep and maintain a humidor. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks everyone!

DOL,

Pat

markem 02-14-2019 06:23 PM

Re: New to the Cigar Scene

Welcome to the asylum! Best wishes on your journey of discovery.

Chainsaw13 02-14-2019 06:32 PM

Welcome and thanks for your service :salute:

Porch Dweller 02-14-2019 09:40 PM

Thanks for your service and welcome to the hobby!

TXRebel 02-14-2019 11:04 PM

:we to The Asylum!

gomeitsmybday 02-15-2019 04:26 AM

Welcome and thank you for you service! Definitely take the time to read a lot of the stickies & faqs around here, they helped me immensely once I decided to get serious about my cigar hobby, and of course am always learning more!
I'd suggest before anything, make sure you get your humidity sorted out, it is really what makes or breaks a cigar! Well, that and the amount of time the cigar rests or ages at the correct humidity. And most importantly, have fun!!

CigarNut 02-15-2019 07:11 AM

Welcome to The Asylum and thank you for your service!

stearns 02-15-2019 08:06 AM

Welcome Pat :salute:

Wharf Rat 02-15-2019 08:22 AM

Welcome Pat! I’d suggest starting a thread for nominations for which BOTL you should study first. This will help delineate the hierarchy and social structure that has developed since we emerged from the Jungle.

DOL_Pat 02-16-2019 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming! I will be sure to explore the threads and will probably ask some questions of my own. On a side note I enjoyed a glass of Basil Hayden Dark Rye last night with a Powerband... Sometimes the struggle of doing research to discover my personal preferences can be a daunting task, but alas I will persist! -(P

SD Beerman 02-16-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOL_Pat (Post 2169830)
Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming! I will be sure to explore the threads and will probably ask some questions of my own. On a side note I enjoyed a glass of Basil Hayden Dark Rye last night with a Powerband... Sometimes the struggle of doing research to discover my personal preferences can be a daunting task, but alas I will persist! -(P

Keep up the good work.:D

heyferg 02-17-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOL_Pat (Post 2169830)

"Endeavor to persevere!"

:)

Dave128 02-17-2019 12:48 PM

Welcome, Pat!

CEC_Tech 02-18-2019 08:33 PM

Welcome to the Asylum! You came to the right place!

icehog3 02-21-2019 08:14 AM

Welcome to the Asylum!