Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Any Scuba divers here? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44894)

Huskysibe 04-22-2011 12:56 PM

Any Scuba divers here?

I have been wanting to get certified for about 6 years now. I have decided this is the year. Post up, who is certified and by what organization. Hints, tips for me?

Billy

Blueface 04-22-2011 01:26 PM

Re: Any Scuba divers here?

Use to be.
Had to stop due to cramping from Meds.
I miss it as I truly loved it and living in South Florida and cruising a lot, I have missed many opportunities to dive in great locations.

replicant_argent 04-22-2011 01:27 PM

I have wanted to for over 3 decades. The world gets in the way of my dreams occasionally.

loki 04-22-2011 01:35 PM

dove once while on vacation last year, can't wait to get certified...but like all hobbies i like, it's expensive

TBone 04-22-2011 01:56 PM

I'm a certified DiveMaster (52525) is my Padi number, though since being back in the States I haven't had much time to dive...it is one of the true pleasures out there...it's you and only you and it's phenomenal... hopefully you can swim...I say go for it.

jjirons69 04-22-2011 02:09 PM

Been diving on and off for over 20 years with 45 logged dives. Even got NITROX certified for working on research dives. Padi certified. Tips - get a nice mask and fins (and BCD) to start with. This is something I regret as I spent more buying better sets. Other tip - relax and breath normally. It's hard to do sometimes, but make a conscience effort so your air (and experience) lasts longer. Go for it. It's a truly unique experience.

DPD6030 04-22-2011 05:38 PM

I'm a certified PADI open water diver. I only dive in the warm clear blue waters of the Caribbean. Now I just need to get back there and do some more diving! I don't have my own stuff, just rent locally where I'm at. Right now I can't afford to buy the stuff but if I ever moved down south or to an island I would definitely get my own.

swh127 04-24-2011 08:08 PM

I got NAUI certified back in 1998 in college. Have done a few dives when I went to the Caribbean but nothing in the past 3 years. I had a trip planned to dive the Great Barrier
Reef last year but had to cancel due to my mom's death.

Expensive hobby, but well worth it.

bigpedunn 04-25-2011 08:45 AM

Got our cert. at couples negril in Jamaica about half price than the states. A great plus to sit on the beach and study your books then before you leave take your test and they send all the paperwork home with you. When you get home you send your PADI paperwork to Calfornia and you get your C card in the mail. Plus they take you on some great dives all included in the price.

nofeardiver 04-25-2011 08:56 AM

I am Nuai OW, and Nitrox Certified, Got it in 2009... I love diving, Jupiter, FL is Beutiful, and i got to dive in key largo this year which was awesome, but i liked Jupiter better...

Apoco 04-25-2011 09:45 AM

PADI certified in 2006(ish). Went for a week of diving in the keys with the Boy Scouts. Was tons of fun, but for some reason I get super nervous thinking about being down that far now. Sometime I need to conquer that fear and get back with it.

As far as tips - Good mask / fins will make the difference. The next is don't use your arms to swim, it is all about the legs! If you are looking to do it regularly, invest in digital gauges that will automatically log your dives (these are probably more common now than when I dove). And finally, WATCH YOUR GAUGES

Don't be scared by that last comment, just make a habit of looking at PSI and depth every 5ish minutes and you'll be golden. I actually set my digital watch (that was good down to 90ft or so) to beep every 5 minutes and after about 3 dives it was habit. Made me feel much safer :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Huskysibe 04-25-2011 01:16 PM

Thanks for the tips guys! What brands of equipment should I be looking at. Man theres a ton of stuff out there and I have no clue whats good.