Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Anyone Like Sangria? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17648)

BlackDog 06-27-2009 05:41 PM

Anyone Like Sangria?

I had sangria in a restaurant recently, and really enjoyed it. I've made my own twice now, and although it's a little different tasting than what the restaurant served, it's very good. It's just a "basic" sangria, but there are lots of variations. It's a very refreshing drink, nice on a warm summer evening. Here is the receipe I've been using.

Ingredients
1 bottle Rioja (other red wines will do nicely too)
2 cups ginger ale
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup Triple Sec
4 slices orange
2 cups orange juice

Mix all together, and let sit in a fridge overnight. The next day, pour some over ice cubes and toss in a garnish of fresh fruit. Enjoy!

I happen to have a case of Lindeman's Cabernet/Merlot on hand, so that's what I've been using. Cheap Korbel brandy and DeKuyper's Triple Sec. Anyone have receipes they like?

TheTraveler 06-27-2009 06:26 PM

Re: Anyone Like Sangria?

The sangrias I've had used very similar recipes. To me a sangria is a lot like lemonade in that on certain hot, sultry southern summer days no other drink will quench and refresh quite like it. There are a few days each summer that just cry out for a sangria and nothing else will do.

Great, now I want one! Thanks! :D

mosesbotbol 06-28-2009 05:55 PM

Apple or pear is good to add as they can stay crisp in the Sangria. Thanks for the recipe.

Scottw 06-28-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 444005)
Apple or pear is good to add as they can stay crisp in the Sangria. Thanks for the recipe.

I agree with Moses, I have also used Pineapple and Asian Pear in white Sangria. I love it all. Great stuff for the summer BBQ!! Thanks for the recipe

Mugen910 06-28-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTraveler (Post 442995)
The sangrias I've had used very similar recipes. To me a sangria is a lot like lemonade in that on certain hot, sultry southern summer days no other drink will quench and refresh quite like it. There are a few days each summer that just cry out for a sangria and nothing else will do.

Great, now I want one! Thanks! :D

:tpd:

SeanGAR 06-28-2009 08:57 PM

Sangria is a great way of getting rid of a wine you don't like as well as making a hot summer day friendly wine.

I never add anything fizzy to mine, I expect it to be flat, and I never add brandy, just the triple sec.

I go by taste so I don't have a recipe, I will add a bit of sugar depending on how much sugar comes out of the orange or other fruit that I add. I have used strawberries, blueberries, cherries as well as oranges, I find Kiwi, Lemons and Limes can be a bit distracting. I made some crappy wine a couple of years ago that was undrinkable as is, but made wicked sangria. I make it with at minimum 2 bottles of wine .... the more the merrier.

bigloo 06-28-2009 09:03 PM

Whats not to love. Never done ginger ale, usually use lemon-lime soda. I either go the apple/pear routine or the orange/lime/grapefruit route.

smokin5 06-28-2009 10:48 PM

I made up a 7 liter batch of white sangria for a party Saturday. My own variation based on about 3-4 different recipes (or 'suggestions', as I call them). A nice change of pace from the red sangria, which can feel a bit heavy when the temperature rises above 90 degrees.

5 liters Almaden box wine (Crisp White or whatever)
1 liter brandy
5 cups water
6 cinnamon sticks & shake or 2 of powdered cinnamon
2-1/2 to 3 cups sugar

Mix the water, cinnamon & sugar in a pan & on medium heat until simmering, let simmer 10-15 minutes. Cool mixture, discard cinnamon sticks.
Add cooled mixture to wine & brandy.

Add 6 sliced peaches, 2-3 sliced apples, 2 sliced oranges, 1 sliced lemon.
Stir/shake & let sit overnight in the light of the moon.

Serve on ice. Have another. Have another. Repeat as necessary.

mosesbotbol 06-29-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokin5 (Post 444273)
I made up a 7 liter batch of white sangria for a party Saturday. My own variation based on about 3-4 different recipes (or 'suggestions', as I call them). A nice change of pace from the red sangria, which can feel a bit heavy when the temperature rises above 90 degrees.

5 liters Almaden box wine (Crisp White or whatever)
1 liter brandy
5 cups water
6 cinnamon sticks & shake or 2 of powdered cinnamon
2-1/2 to 3 cups sugar

Mix the water, cinnamon & sugar in a pan & on medium heat until simmering, let simmer 10-15 minutes. Cool mixture, discard cinnamon sticks.
Add cooled mixture to wine & brandy.

Add 6 sliced peaches, 2-3 sliced apples, 2 sliced oranges, 1 sliced lemon.
Stir/shake & let sit overnight in the light of the moon.

Serve on ice. Have another. Have another. Repeat as necessary.

Your recipe is like summer Glugg :banger

hornitosmonster 07-01-2009 06:51 PM

Love me some Sangria :ss

BlackDog 07-01-2009 07:39 PM

I made some sangria tonight with white wine, and substituted a cup of pineapple juice for of one of the cups of orange juice. Also added some lemon and lime slices. Really good.

BlackDog 08-22-2009 04:50 PM

FWIW, on a whim I mixed half a glass of Blue Moon beer with half a glass of sangria. Really, really good.

Off to make another. I can't be held responsible for whatever I type later this evening. ;)

eber 08-27-2009 03:05 PM

I made sangria for the first time this summer for a fund raising party hosted at my moms house, we made white and red with standard-ish recipes minus the brandy and they were a hit. I don't know if sams club still has them but we got 3 gallon beverage dispensers (clear) which looked nice as well because you see all the delicious fruit. I will definetly be making it again :tu