Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mombacho Thermonuclear Serie 2006 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31180)

tomc3084 04-20-2010 11:46 AM

Mombacho Thermonuclear Serie 2006

5 Attachment(s)
Today's review, actually, today's second review..ahem, is of the Mombacho Thermonuclear Triple Ligero Serie 2006. This is not the regular Thermonuclear, this is a limited edition, which was available in only one store, to my knowledge. It is a robusto 5 by 50 I believe and is a Nicaraguan puro triple ligero cigar. Let's get to it, shall we?

Pre-smoke: At first glance you will notice the dark oily wrapper, it is so beautiful. The smoke is very firm. After cutting the draw revealed itself to be just to my liking, with just a little bit of resistance. Ever since I got my cooler stabalized(thanks to you guys responded to my question) almost all my cigars have had perfect draws and have been smoke bombs! I'm expecting this to be one heck of a strong cigar....

1/3: Wow....all I can say is wow...I am so surprised.....no spice!!!! Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing, I am just surprised. This cigar is super smooth boasting flavors of white pepper and sweet woodsiness. After a few puff the spice showed itself and was mild through the nose. This cigar gives of so much F'n smoke it's rediculous, and is how I like it...It is...ahem...a SMOKE BOMB!!!

2/3: This cigar is extremely complex, I am loving it. I did not think I would like it for some reason or another....the second third showed the same flavors and black pepper made its way through leaving a tingly sensation in the back of your throat and through the nose upon retrohale. It was during this time that the cigar flavors became very meaty and chewy leaving almost steak like taste in your mouth on the finish.

3/3: This cigar is still going strong increasing on flavor and strength. Not once have I got bored with this cigar, it just keeps me guessing what's next. Some vanilla bean flavors and a slight nuttiness reared its heard. All the flavors kind of mixed themselves together into one big bunch of goodness to end the cigar, and what a nice ending it was.....!

Final thoughts: Well, you could probably guess it but I am going to say it anyways: I absolutely loved this cigar! I was pleasantly surprised and I will be looking for more. I am definately also going to be seeking out the regular production of these to see how they compare...If they are at all alike I will be needing to save up for a box. I would loved to have seen how these were before they mellowed. I highly recommend this cigar and if the regular is anything like it, I highly recommend it also. They are reasonably priced too, the regular ones. Thanks for reading....and thanks to CA for letting it be read! What should I review next...LFD Ligero, or a Diesel?

Emjaysmash 04-20-2010 11:51 AM

Re: Mombacho Thermonuclear Serie 2006

Awesome review! I've heard mombachos were good cigars, but I've never seen one, online or otherwise.

tomc3084 04-20-2010 11:59 AM

Holt's has them.....

Emjaysmash 04-20-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc3084 (Post 833531)
Holt's has them.....

oh thanks! I never really check holts.

tomc3084 04-20-2010 12:05 PM

Welcome....

wolfandwhisky 04-20-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 833524)
Awesome review! I've heard mombachos were good cigars, but I've never seen one, online or otherwise.

Great review... ditto on locating one. I just heard about them recently and haven't seen any since hearing about it.

wolfandwhisky 04-20-2010 12:17 PM

took too long to post - see where to get them now

if someone gets a box I'd be up for a trade to get a couple... maybe a 5er

NCRadioMan 04-20-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc3084 (Post 833514)
Today's review, actually, today's second review..ahem, is of the Mombacho Thermonuclear Triple Ligero Serie 2006. This is not the regular Thermonuclear, this is a limited edition, which was available in only one store, to my knowledge.

Probably not. They all have the 2006 foot band. I like this cigar too. One of my favorites.

Don't let the name scare you, they are not over-the-top strong and I think they taste alot like the Liga Privada but not at the high price.

tomc3084 04-20-2010 02:26 PM

they do not all have the 06 band

Stick 04-20-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc3084 (Post 833629)
they do not all have the 06 band

All of the ones shown on the manufacturer's website do.

Sounds tasty, I'll be on the lookout for these next time I'm at the B&M. :tu

borndead1 04-21-2010 07:44 PM

Dumb name, great cigar.

My B&M has these...I may have to grab a few more.

OHMatt 05-14-2010 09:04 AM

These were strong as all hell when they first came out, but everything on the market now has been sitting around for awhile and the cigar loses its power and gains great refinement in 6 months or so.

I am going to have to agree with Greg that all of the Mombacho cigars I have smoked have the 2006 band on the bottom. (As do their Condega and Lempira cigars). Tropical produces damn fine cigars but they don't market at all, yet price the cigars as if they did. I think they did some factory shuffling after Ortega was elected and they shifted some production to Honduras; which has led to inconsistency in simple things like banding.

Checking out the website, it looks like their awesome Connecticut-Habano hybrid leaf is now being used on a new addition to their JFR line. This leaf used to be on their "Cuban Leaf" bundles which were sometimes long filler and sometimes mixed. It will be good having that wrapper on a boxed cigar, I need to find some!