Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Getting Fired (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70228)

Flynnster 09-13-2015 10:51 AM

Getting Fired

Well, Friday I was let go at work, nothing I didn't see coming, but it happened sooner than I expected.

Perhaps it's because I'm young and don't have a family to worry about, but it's a bit freeing. I got a couple weeks pay, and I can drive uber for cash for now, so I'm going to do some good thinking on what I really want to do for my next move. This might end up being a pretty good thing for me overall, pushing me to take a risk I wouldn't have otherwise.

That said, at 23, this is the first time I've been fired, any words of wisdom from the Asylum?

The Poet 09-13-2015 10:56 AM

Re: Getting Fired

The first cut is the deepest, but getting canned is never fun. Been there a number of times, so know this well. Best thing to remember is that it's only a freakin' job, not your life. Deal with it, and move on.

All best wishes for future success.

G G 09-13-2015 11:10 AM

I can't add much. I am 50 yo and have been blessed to only have been fired once in my life and that was when I was 18. I would say you have a great attitude about it and believe you will hit the ground running.

The Poet 09-13-2015 11:21 AM

Oh, and make sure you get off this board now and go to the Illinois state unemployment insurance site and file a claim for your benefits. You paid for it each paycheck, so you earned it. A few hundred bucks a week won't change your life, but it will ease the pain a bit.

Porch Dweller 09-13-2015 12:11 PM

Thomas is wise.

The Poet 09-13-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2053323)
Thomas is wise.

Thomas is experienced at being out of work. :r

bobarian 09-13-2015 01:10 PM

There's a big difference between getting fired for cause and being released on good terms. Not only in Unemployment terms, but if you left on good terms you should get a letter of recommendation from your employer. This will help answer and questions your next employer man have. Good luck.

icehog3 09-13-2015 06:21 PM

I got fired once, when I was 21 and trying to work full time and go to college full time.

I busted my boss' windshield, seduced his girlfriend and got him fired too.

Then I woke up from my lovely dream.

Good luck going forward. :tu

Flynnster 09-14-2015 07:38 PM

Thanks for the advice fellas! Especially on the unemployment, that hand't even crossed my mind.

The Poet 09-14-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynnster (Post 2053525)
Thanks for the advice fellas! Especially on the unemployment, that hand't even crossed my mind.

If you were "laid off" or "downsized" the claim should be approved automatically. And even if you were "fired for cause" . . . calling the boss a d!ckhead, even though he is, or screwing his daughter on papa's desk . . . you might be denied at first, but you can always appeal the decision and often get it overturned.

Hey, tell them it's not YOUR fault the boss was a d!ckhead. :D

hotreds 09-14-2015 08:28 PM

Best wishes for the future! You're young and should be able to "shake it off!" and go forward with little difficulty! Onward and upwards!

longknocker 09-15-2015 04:20 AM

Good Luck In Finding Your Next Job, Brother.:tu Now May Be The Time When You Think About What You Want Your Career To Be In The Future. While You're Young Is The Best Time To Pursue Additional Education.:tu

mosesbotbol 09-15-2015 04:48 AM

Been a contractor for 20 years, so jobs coming and going has been a constant. Make sure your resume is up to date and posted on relevant job boards. Update the resume every other day and spend a few hours daily applying to new jobs.

Do you hope to stay in the same field or do something different? Do as much exercise as you can since you have time and get up early every day. The longer you are unemployed, the less you'll be able to accomplish during the day. You'll be amazed how lazy you can become in a matter of a few weeks.

See the firing as an opportunity for new job and more money. Good luck

shark 09-15-2015 03:56 PM

And the reason for your most recent separation will be brought up in every interview. Be prepared to put it in as positive terms as possible.

Blueface 09-15-2015 07:41 PM

Good luck.
Things happen for a reason.
I was fired at 23, just a few months before my planned wedding.
Turned out to be the best favor anyone ever did for me.
I hated that career path but was too blind to see I should have abandoned it.
Landed a career job after that and have been employed by the same company for 33 years now.
Again, things happen for a reason, just need to make the best out of it.

RJrocker 09-16-2015 07:27 AM

Sorry brother, good luck with your next endeavor!

CRIMPS 09-16-2015 10:46 AM

For someone who interviews a lot of people, may I offer the following quick points that the majority of prospective applicants mess up:

* Verify your contact info in on your resume. Seriously :(
* Have someone else look at your resume as well. You can't spot the mistakes. Preferably a woman.
* Once you update your resume, save it as a PDF. Don't send out your resume in MSWord.
* Add a cover letter if you send out your resume.
* In an interview, turn off your phone.
* In an interview, smile, and find some common ground with the interviewer. Many times, interviewers simply want to hire someone they see themselves becoming friends with.
* Show some passion for whatever it is your are applying for.
* Send a followup email after the interview, thanking them for their time.

Good luck. :tu

Flynnster 09-17-2015 05:57 AM

Thanks for all the support everyone! Still trying to figure out or understand what the heck I want to do. I know it was tough for me to go into an a office every day and sit there for 9 hours, so it might be time for a new path.

In the meantime I've been taking some side gigs and fishing a lot!

badbriar 09-17-2015 11:44 AM

I know it was tough for me to go into an a office every day and sit there for 9 hours, so it might be time for a new path. :hy

ahhh, youth!!! Nobody likes that, but it's what 95+ % of us do.
Take a look at some kind of sales position. Once you get a base of accounts, it can pay well. Every business needs sales personnel - jobs everywhere!

I was in your shoes about 2 months back - downsized because I told the owner's b!tch girlfriend off. Now, I use my production and estimating experience and am doing inhouse production / sales. Calling on all of the accounts the previous company has. Proving to be VERY productive. Best move I've made in over a decade! Life is GOOD! :tu

mosesbotbol 09-18-2015 06:04 AM

When you take on any work opportunity; consider what skills you will learn and set milestone for when you have learned that skill set. Every job is a chance to build your resume, so pay attention to the opportunity.

Once you gained what they have to offer and you are at plateau in knowledge/resume building with them; time to start to looking for the next role.