Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   I have finally found a vodka I like. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6271)

MithShrike 12-13-2008 12:43 PM

I have finally found a vodka I like.

I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...roductID=25947

JohnnyFlake 12-13-2008 01:45 PM

Re: I have finally found a vodka I like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MithShrike (Post 117414)
I can't drink Absolut, Stoli, Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Russian Standard, Glacier, Ketel One, or Svedka.

I've only been able to drink Polish vodkas with moderate success. Chopin, Belvedere, Luksusowa and just once Siwucha. Of these Luksusowa was best in my book but now it has been replaced. If you like vodka you must buy Sobieski. It's a Polish rye vodka that actually has flavor. At $11 a bottle it's incredibly frugal. Somewhat spicy, sweet after taste and aroma, smooth and warm. Best of all, this is the first vodka I've had that has not given me a hangover. Incredible. Of course, I drank it straight and warm.

I have never even heard of that Vodka, let alone tried it, however, it sounds interesting, and if I can find a bottle this weekend, I'll give it a go!

Like you, except for Ketel One, I do not care for any of the Vodkas you mentioned at the top. Over the last few years, I have come to really like Chopin (about $30), Staraya Moskva (about$20) & the Stolichnaya Gold (about $28)! The Gold is much different than the standard Stoli, offering a lot of spiciness. I also like Ketel One!

Heatmiser 12-13-2008 03:56 PM

I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable. :al

JohnnyFlake 12-13-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatmiser (Post 117731)
I drink my bourbon, tequila and scotch straight. Vodka, on the other hand, is one that I will only drink when mixed. To me, the best vodka is one that has no taste or smell and will dissolve into a mixed drink. My favorites in this category are Tito's and Kettle One. Both are priced extremely reasonable. :al

Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.

Heatmiser 12-13-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 117759)
Taste is very subjective, but even so, you are the first I have ever heard, describe Ketel One as tasteless and void of aroma. Ketel One is kind of my go to Vodka, and I and many others I know, find it to offer a very intense mineral, flowery aroma, with very distinct flavors of smoke & licorice, with a light flowery finish.

These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?

JohnnyFlake 12-13-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatmiser (Post 117806)
These two have done fine for me in mixed drinks which is really the only time I will drink vodka. Me and a bunch of my buddies had a tasting of 18 different vodkas about a year ago. Our tasting was done straight with no ice and at room temperature. Ketel One and Tito's were the two that rose to the top for me over the others I tried which were: Jewel of Russia, Ciroc, Stoli Elite, Grey Goose, Effen, Smirnoff, Imperia, Hangar One, Chopin, Absolut, Belvedere, Blue Ice, Finlandia, Idol, Level, Pravda.

What other vodka would you recommend that is tasteless, reasonably priced and void of aroma?

That's a difficult question, at least for me, because when I sample a vodka for the first time or two and it offers no aroma and is virtually tasteless, I completely put it out of my mind. I prefer to drink vodka over ice or martini style.

I have tried most of the ones used in your tasting, but not all of them. The ones I really like are Jewel of Russia, Chopin, Blue Ice and Hanger One!

perogee 12-13-2008 10:32 PM

So far my favorite is Banff Ice, but that may be because I am a sucker for local things ;)

icehog3 12-14-2008 09:23 AM

I am not a big fan of vodka.

;) :r :r

Scottw 12-14-2008 09:24 AM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 118610)
I am not a big fan of vodka.

;) :r :r

:r:r:r:r:rhahahahahahahaha!!

Buena Fortuna 12-14-2008 09:26 AM

There is nothing other than Grey Goose, all others are wannabees
Posted via Mobile Device

Don Fernando 12-14-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.

icehog3 12-14-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 118617)
Posted via Mobile Device

I respectfully disagree. ;)

JohnnyFlake 12-14-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 118617)
Posted via Mobile Device

No disrespect intended my friend, but you really need to get a life!!! LOL!

havana_lover 12-14-2008 10:07 AM

Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh

icehog3 12-14-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havana_lover (Post 118702)
Grey Goose isnt bad, one of the only vodka that I drink.. everyone other one I have tried tastes like hair spray in the aftertaste.. not good.. Blahhhh

Question, Oliver....how to you know what hair spray tastes like? :confused::r

MithShrike 12-14-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 118635)
I hope you understand that, by posting this, you gave the Massholes some valuable information on their retaliation strike.

I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.

goalie204 12-14-2008 10:07 PM

Try opulent, or Ciroc(made from grapeS) my 2 favs.

Don Fernando 12-14-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MithShrike (Post 119797)
I sure hope they don't retaliate more than they already have... 23 cigars, a box of cookies, and a digital camera... I'm still rebuilding here man.

I know them, the pain ain't over yet.

Buena Fortuna 12-15-2008 02:13 AM

Ciroc is a tasty alternative, I must say

rizzle 12-15-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Heresy!!
:bx