Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Review - Cuban Crafters Vitrina Cabinet Cigar Humidor (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71154)

Laz 02-22-2016 04:57 PM

Review - Cuban Crafters Vitrina Cabinet Cigar Humidor

1 Attachment(s)
Got this a few weeks ago and figured I would post some info for others.

I was looking for a good budget humidor and for $999 shipped it’s a great deal. But it’s not super quality but good.
I wrote a 5 star review on their site stating the price per value was awesome but my review had some notes on the press board shelves, etc.

My review was 100% positive but they never posted since they want to maintain the illusion of all wood or whatever. This is wrong since all reviews should be posted regardless.
So this is why I am writing it here.

Packing was second to none. Double boxed palleted. 10 stars on the packing.

Looks 5 stars. Looks great and looks like fine craftsmanship.

Where the price comes into play is the quality. It’s no doubt laminate which nothing wrong with laminates especially if you want a bargain price. I knew the sides would be all laminates but was surprised the shelves were particle board with micro thin laminate on them. The door did not seal quite right seemed a little off so I replaced the seals and added some top and bottom latches to hold it air tight.

Looking at it and opening it up looking at the inside and shelves and door and hinges it looks like a fine humidor but the guts (particle board) puts it more in the cheap furniture section. But with cheap furniture you know it by looking at it, this you cannot tell until to get into it. I drilled a small hole in the shelf that’s how I knew how cheap the guts were.

Would I buy this again? For $999 shipped most likely I would if I were looking for a super looking budget humidor.

If I were to spend more I would expect solid woods, etc.

So on the fence with this one. For the money it’s a great value BUT it’s not solid wood walls or shelves. If I buy again may have to spend 2k+ and get a REAL wood humidor.

I am a little disappointed they hide the fact its laminates by the description and lack of posting my review. Customer service was top notch but if they want to last in the humidor business they need to be more upfront with the details, etc.

So if your looking for a starter cabinet humidor and can get this under 1k shipped its a good deal. If you want solid wood and solid shelves then spend the extra and get something else.

Dave128 02-22-2016 05:52 PM

Re: Review - Cuban Crafters Vitrina Cabinet Cigar Humidor

For $1000, I had better not have to replace any seals or add latches to help with the aforementioned seals. That certainly would not get a perfect rating in my opinion.

Laz 02-22-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave128 (Post 2076379)
For $1000, I had better not have to replace any seals or add latches to help with the aforementioned seals. That certainly would not get a perfect rating in my opinion.

True but in reality this is about a $700 humidor since shipping 200lbs is at least $300.

dmiller662 02-22-2016 11:38 PM

I hate to really ask this, but were you really expecting a ALL SOLID wood build from this unit for under 1k shipped to you?

Laz 02-23-2016 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmiller662 (Post 2076424)
I hate to really ask this, but were you really expecting a ALL SOLID wood build from this unit for under 1k shipped to you?

Honestly I did not know. Its not that big of a cabinet so I figured a 4x8 sheet would cut the whole thing. I guess I am more surprised with the shelves being press board instead of solid cedar.

Overall I am happy with it since there is no cabinet humidor of this size for the price or even close to the price. I can live with some of the imperfections.

Laminates may be a good thing for the sides since you can get super dense pressboard and its straight. Like custom closets always use press board for the density and straightness then a veneer over them.

Sooner 02-23-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave128 (Post 2076379)

I would have to agree with this. Any humidor that doesn't seal correctly right out of the box is poorly made.

This surprises me, as Cuban Crafters has other products that in my opinion are very well made and durable. Like their cutters.

As far as the shelves being laminated, most humidors in that price range (depending on size) are made that way.

The lights in there look cool.

pnoon 02-23-2016 08:47 AM

Spending that kind of dough for a humidor, I would go with Aristocrat (my first choice) or Avallo.
:2

AdamJoshua 02-23-2016 09:02 AM

1st) As long as you happy with it, that's what counts. B) I don't care what it cost them to ship it, for that month I don't want to have to change anything about it, I would say with the work you did on it, replacing the seal and adding latches this was not a 5 star product to start with, not to mention pressboard (really??) for shelving.

That being said looks real nice. :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 2076472)
Spending that kind of dough for a humidor, I would go with Aristocrat (my first choice) or Avallo.

This.

Ashcan Bill 02-23-2016 01:06 PM

Good review and good comments. May help somebody in the future with their decision making process.

hudd 02-23-2016 02:24 PM

My daughter bought me a desk top 100 count humidor and a cutter a couple years ago for Christmas that was from Cuban Crafters. I was shocked when I saw the made in China sticker on the bottom of the humidor.