Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Coffee & Cigar Pairing (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31387)

KenyanSandBoa 04-25-2010 11:08 AM

Coffee & Cigar Pairing

I was curious to see what cigars other inmates pair with their coffee. I thought it would be cool for us to share our favorite pairs, and even new discoveries. I'm always trying something new with my cigars and coffee, and some are complete misses, but sometimes I'm blown away.

I'll start it off:

Perdomo Lot 23 paired with Deidrich French Roast

The Perdomo is a very mild smoke, great with a morning coffee. I found the woodsy, earthy flavors were mild enough were they didn't linger on your palate so it didn't overpower the flavor of the French Roast. I take my coffee with a little half and half, and the added creaminess really complemented the creaminess of the Perdomo very well.

What pairings have other found to be good?

KenyanSandBoa 04-26-2010 02:38 PM

Re: Coffee & Cigar Pairing

Had a 5 Vegas Classic with Green Mountain Vermont Blend. That went very well, but I noticed towards the end of the cigar the Vegas started to take over that mild blend of coffee.

jmsremax 04-26-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 840471)
Had a 5 Vegas Classic with Green Mountain Vermont Blend. That went very well, but I noticed towards the end of the cigar the Vegas started to take over that mild blend of coffee.

That's funny....it's Monday and if my memory serves me correct it's a work day for you. :r

I like the thread :tu

Mister Moo 04-27-2010 07:54 AM

Never works for me with regular brew. Either the cigar keeps going out or the coffee goes cold.

Try a maduro with Costa Rican Tarrazu moka, a cuban coffee or plain espresso. One or two gulps and the coffee is gone (no chance it'll get cold) but the flavor hangs in your mouth for another 30-45 minutes; cigar gradually takes over. Good luck in pursuit of perfection.

KenyanSandBoa 04-27-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsremax (Post 840483)
That's funny....it's Monday and if my memory serves me correct it's a work day for you. :r

Oh, I was working. I was just taking a different approach that you were. (Like setting my laptop up on the deck and enjoying the sun, a coffee, and a smoke. :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 841360)
Never works for me with regular brew. Either the cigar keeps going out or the coffee goes cold.

Try a maduro with Costa Rican Tarrazu moka, a cuban coffee or plain espresso. One or two gulps and the coffee is gone (no chance it'll get cold) but the flavor hangs in your mouth for another 30-45 minutes; cigar gradually takes over. Good luck in pursuit of perfection.

I've found that as well...coffee usually gets cold. I've been using my Keurig and brewing it in smaller cups. I figure it's better to just get a couple of small cups instead of drinking cold coffee.

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll definitley have to give that a try. I'm getting an Aeropress, so I'll be able to make espressos now. :tu

Mister Moo 04-27-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 841382)
... I'm getting an Aeropress, so I'll be able to make espressos now. :tu

The cheapest, fastest, easiest, closest thing I know to espresso. It's an amazing little brewer for $29.

KenyanSandBoa 05-06-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsremax (Post 840483)

Help me out here, Jon...what have you paired?

I just had an A. Fuente Flora Fina 8-5-8 with a Timothy's Breakfast Blend. Both very mild, yet sweet floral notes. Nothing very complex but with the low cost of these smokes, I could see these becoming a regular early morning smoke.

jmsremax 05-06-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 850923)
Help me out here, Jon...what have you paired?

The only thing I have paired with thus far was a 5 Vegas Gold and a Starbucks iced coffee. Very tasty combo. :tu

Without a coffee maker I am limited to Starbucks or DD. :td

p@rick 05-06-2010 02:23 PM

Hey guys. I absolutely love the Camacho Connie and the JdN Cabinetta with either Starbucks Sumatra or Caribou Coffee's Obsidian. Its got to be a strong coffee for me for it to go well though. While I do drink a lot of DD, it is not what I want to pair my smokes with. Oliva O is another that I opt for with my coffee.

KenyanSandBoa 05-07-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p@rick (Post 851047)
Hey guys. I absolutely love the Camacho Connie and the JdN Cabinetta with either Starbucks Sumatra or Caribou Coffee's Obsidian. Its got to be a strong coffee for me for it to go well though. While I do drink a lot of DD, it is not what I want to pair my smokes with. Oliva O is another that I opt for with my coffee.

p@trick, you are my new best friend!! Jon and I were just talking about how this thread is dead, and now I see there is a faint pulse. :D

Anyway, I digress. I was debating on picking up a Camacho Connie last night, but I went with the Camacho Tripple Maduro instead. I'm a huge fan of the Carbou Obsidian, so I'll definitely have to give that combo a try. I have an O in my humi, so that may have to be next in the rotation. Did you have a favorite coffee pairing for the O?

I'm in the same boat with you that the coffee has to be strong, or I find the cigar absolutely dominates the pairing.

Brutus2600 05-07-2010 09:43 AM

Last weekend I had some Tanzanian peaberry coffee with a Nub Connecticut. It was a really great pairing, as the coffee is a milder blend and the Nub Connie is a smooth light smoke. I'll smoke any cigar with my coffee, it's one of my fav pairings, but some smokes and coffees just go better than others ;)

KenyanSandBoa 05-07-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 851811)
Last weekend I had some Tanzanian peaberry coffee with a Nub Connecticut. It was a really great pairing, as the coffee is a milder blend and the Nub Connie is a smooth light smoke. I'll smoke any cigar with my coffee, it's one of my fav pairings, but some smokes and coffees just go better than others ;)

Tanzanian Peaberry, huh? Where can you get that? I've never even heard of it. I seem to be partial with connies in general with a mild, bright coffee, but I'll step it up a bit if I'm drinking somethin with some punch, like an espresso or Komodo Dragon.

Brutus2600 05-07-2010 09:53 AM

I actually picked up a half a pound at Target the other week. They had it on sale and I hadn't tried their Archer Farms (Target brand) coffee so I thought I would. Never tried any peaberry coffee before, but so far I've really enjoyed it. My girlfriend who isn't even a big coffee drinker commented on how good it smelled :p

KenyanSandBoa 05-07-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 851825)
I actually picked up a half a pound at Target the other week. They had it on sale and I hadn't tried their Archer Farms (Target brand) coffee so I thought I would. Never tried any peaberry coffee before, but so far I've really enjoyed it. My girlfriend who isn't even a big coffee drinker commented on how good it smelled :p

No kidding...I'm in Target all the time. So is it called Archer Farms Tanzanian Peaberry?

The way I see it, it's worth a shot at least.

jmsremax 05-07-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 851834)
No kidding...I'm in Target all the time. So is it called Archer Farms Tanzanian Peaberry?

The way I see it, it's worth a shot at least.

Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot....everybody! I hope that song is stuck in your head all f*ing day.

I might have to make a run to Bucks this weekend and try another pairing.

farily 06-17-2010 01:34 AM

The flavors in a good cup of coffee are highly complementary to cigars. Vanilla, mocha, chocolate, and roasted notes, as well as nuttiness and earth, can all be found in both cigars and coffee. In fact, tasting wheels used for coffee tasting would help any cigar smoker identify flavors in his tasty tobacco treat.
But much like bad cigars, people too often think of coffee as bad coffee, akin to the sludge at your workplace. But doing so would be like thinking that all cigars are like Phillies. I fear that, despite the billions of cups of coffee Americans drink every year, many people have never had a really good brew.
Read more: http://blogcritics.org/tastes/articl...#ixzz0r5rCnuma

NTA_Ben 06-18-2010 02:12 AM

I love coffee with my cigar. My favorite is Black Dog Coffee. Great stuff, especially their Costa Rican blend. I did a review of Jameson cigars and their new coffee, Rock Stone. Damn good stuff too.

http://nicetightash.com/jameson-ciga...-stone-coffee/

KenyanSandBoa 06-18-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farily (Post 889915)
The flavors in a good cup of coffee are highly complementary to cigars. Vanilla, mocha, chocolate, and roasted notes, as well as nuttiness and earth, can all be found in both cigars and coffee. In fact, tasting wheels used for coffee tasting would help any cigar smoker identify flavors in his tasty tobacco treat.
But much like bad cigars, people too often think of coffee as bad coffee, akin to the sludge at your workplace. But doing so would be like thinking that all cigars are like Phillies. I fear that, despite the billions of cups of coffee Americans drink every year, many people have never had a really good brew.
Read more: http://blogcritics.org/tastes/articl...#ixzz0r5rCnuma

:tpd:

The coffee at my office if horrible...HORRIBLE!! I couldn't imagine anything tasting good with a cup of that schwill. My personal opinion is that if you're spending good money on your smoke, why not spend good money on a decent cup of coffee to pair with it.

shilala 06-18-2010 09:10 AM

It's tough to beat a nic puro with a nic bean. Dominican puros and Tanzanian go well, lots of sweet. Kona goes good with chocolate and a nic puro, or almost anything.

KenyanSandBoa 06-18-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 891501)
It's tough to beat a nic puro with a nic bean. Dominican puros and Tanzanian go well, lots of sweet. Kona goes good with chocolate and a nic puro, or almost anything.

I've had some really good experiences with Kona and some of the Gran Reserva Fuentes...especially the 8-5-8. :dr:tu