Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Montecristo Social Club??? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61731)

The Poet 05-07-2013 12:35 PM

Montecristo Social Club???

I got an e-mail today inviting me to join this. I never heard of it, and being the suspicious type I was wondering if anybody there knows jack.

http://www.montecristosocialclub.com...Kh26Fl17zcdZrt

Thanks for any input, positive or negative . . . or, knowing you jokers, asinine and meaningless. :r

CoffeeWaterBeer 05-07-2013 01:09 PM

Re: Montecristo Social Club???

Looks to be owned by Altadis so it's legit. Couldn't say either way. Signing up now though and will report back.

Edit: it looks to be a cigar social media platform. There is an offer of a free gift for signing up, most likely a coupon.

hotreds 05-07-2013 01:29 PM

Got this a week ago. looks to be much the same as here- am happy here, so no need to join MSC.(Unless you're Elderboy- who has to join EVERY one!)

The Poet 05-07-2013 01:47 PM

So is this just another BB? One owned by Altadis? Weird, as I'm an old veteran of the now-defunct JRBB (what Steve Saka, Nicole, and gang shut down without warning in the middle of the night) and JRs is now owned by Altadis.

What goes around comes around, and will likely ALSO be shut down once they find out how many headaches we bozos can cause. Am I right? :r

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 05-07-2013 02:56 PM

I joined this out of pure curiosity a few weeks ago. Can't really see much benefit to it, but they sent me a pretty cool welcome kit that included a punch cutter shaped like a golden key. I will try to remember to take a picture of it when I get home.

cmitch 05-07-2013 03:03 PM

I registered Monday Night. Just wanted the punch cutter that was shaped like a key.

poker 05-07-2013 03:29 PM

They tried hitting me up on Facebook. Key word being "tried".

AdamJoshua 05-07-2013 03:43 PM

The fact they are using the MC logo (or without really looking something close enough as it is easily confused with the original) is rather amusing, I really doubt they have any real affiliation with them, in the words of Professor Farnsworth, "Good news everyone, they've decided not to sue if we remove all traces of the logo or trademarked content!"

They reserve the right to delete posts that among other things..
"(v) infringe on copyrights or trademarks;"

Pot kettle, kettle pot.

T.G 05-07-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 1831370)
The fact they are using the MC logo (or without really looking something close enough as it is easily confused with the original) is rather amusing, I really doubt they have any real affiliation with them, in the words of Professor Farnsworth, "Good news everyone, they've decided not to sue if we remove all traces of the logo or trademarked content!"

They reserve the right to delete posts that among other things..
"(v) infringe on copyrights or trademarks;"

Pot kettle, kettle pot.

Altadis USA owns the trademark to the Montecristo logo in the US.

Altadis USA also owns that website.

Altadis USA is owned by Altadis S.A..

Altadis S.A. owns the controlling 50% of Habanos S.A. along with the CC Montecristo trademark.

And the US doesn't recognize Cuban trademarks anyway.

mikesr1963 03-08-2014 02:20 PM

:herfReceived my MSC welcome package today.:noon I got a business card holder with the Montecristo emblem full of MSC cards to hand out to invite people to the club. Take a look at the cards.:sh You hand these out to friends and it has the surgeon general's warning that your life will immediately start to suck on the front. You also get a plastic ID card with your member number, name, and the year you became a member. I go to the site and fiddle around with my virtural humidor and lurk around some. I also created a group and called it the Virginia Ham Smokers. As soon as I get my decoder ring I'll be set.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...ps4f651beb.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...ps9330e084.jpg

The Poet 03-08-2014 03:36 PM

Yeah, I got one of these a few weeks ago . . . and got a second this week too.

Should I have posted that on the WTT board? :D

dijit 03-08-2014 04:08 PM

Hey no fair I never got the business card holder!

mikesr1963 03-08-2014 04:44 PM

What did you get?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dijit (Post 1941587)
Hey no fair I never got the business card holder!

Zane 03-08-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesr1963 (Post 1941604)
What did you get?

I got the key punch.

jhedrick83 03-08-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane (Post 1941638)
I got the key punch.

Same here, it's pretty nice!

T.G 03-08-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesr1963 (Post 1941604)
What did you get?

I got a rock.

dijit 03-09-2014 04:34 AM

I got the key punch too

dave 03-10-2014 07:51 AM

Signed up a year ago for the freebies. VERY nice gift set. Lighter, cutter and travel humi, IIRC. (I put it away to add to a noob bomb at a later date and forgot about it.)

Regular emails have talked of an online 'Tobacco University-type' course which sounded interesting, but I haven't found the time to try it out.

Well worth the 30 sec it took me to sign up - and the spam is minimal

Robulous78 03-10-2014 11:13 PM

I have signed up for this yet I get no free stuff? :hm did I do something wrong or does Montecristo just not like me? :lr

mikesr1963 03-11-2014 08:19 AM

Where you bad?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1942276)
I have signed up for this yet I get no free stuff? :hm did I do something wrong or does Montecristo just not like me? :lr