Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ozzy in concert (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73760)

hotreds 02-10-2018 07:53 AM

Ozzy in concert

Would like to see him but was wondering if he sounds as bad as in interviews. Anybody seen him lately?

icehog3 02-10-2018 08:20 AM

Re: Ozzy in concert

I saw him a few years ago, Hugh, and it was kind of sad. He was wearing a babushka and was about as menacing as a nun. Had to use floor monitors to remember the lyrics and his between songs banter was just weird. Only saving grace was Zack Wylde was on guitar and saved the show (warm up band Rob Zombie was pretty good too).

It's a shame because Black Sabbath is one of my favorite metal bands, and Ozzy was the King as one time.

hotreds 02-10-2018 09:59 AM

Thanks, Tom! I guess I'll just keep listening to the recordings!

icehog3 02-10-2018 02:10 PM

Might I suggest the greatest Sabbath Album of all time...Sabotage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PJ...EbJ9FhZrGNSdOQ

Ozzy is at his all-time best, and Tommy Iommi's riffs and breaks are amazing, especially on tracks 3-5.

dijit 02-10-2018 03:38 PM

Hsi concerts are not much better than his interviews now. Very much as Tom describes it. While I am dying to go and see him one last time, I doubt I will so I can try to preserve my memory of the better shows in the bat bird and spit years.

kelmac07 02-10-2018 03:50 PM

Saw him year ago when Alice in Chains opened for him (w/Layne Staley)...was an amazing show.

elderboy02 02-10-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 2144214)
Saw him year ago when Alice in Chains opened for him (w/Layne Staley)...was an amazing show.

Huh? Layne Stayley has been since 2002

icehog3 02-11-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 2144235)

I think he meant "years ago". ;)

elderboy02 02-11-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2144256)

That would make sense :llp

kelmac07 02-11-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 2144235)

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2144256)

Exactly...many years ago. It was AIC's first tour (Facelift album).

mosesbotbol 02-12-2018 09:53 AM

I saw him like 15 years ago and thought he was way past prime. I don't mind the lyrics on monitors as long as the show was good. I prefer his Sabbath stuff more than a lot of his solo albums. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece though.

For the classic metal bands; Judas Priest is performing the best IMO. Even though Glenn has given up on the Tour very recently do to Parkinsons. I actually prefer the arrangements better now and the way Halford sings them.

hotreds 02-12-2018 10:00 AM

Alice Cooper still rocks!

icehog3 02-12-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2144355)
I saw him like 15 years ago and thought he was way past prime. I don't mind the lyrics on monitors as long as the show was good. I prefer his Sabbath stuff more than a lot of his solo albums. Diary of a Madman is a masterpiece though.

For the classic metal bands; Judas Priest is performing the best IMO. Even though Glenn has given up on the Tour very recently do to Parkinsons. I actually prefer the arrangements better now and the way Halford sings them.

Definitely hope to catch Priest on their upcoming tour. :tu :banger

mosesbotbol 02-13-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2144371)
Definitely hope to catch Priest on their upcoming tour. :tu :banger

Glenn Tipton has announced his retirement. I have mixed feelings on this as they promoted the Tour as him playing when they knew there was a strong likelihood he would not play. I find this kind of unethical, but am still going to one of the local shows next month.

Chainsaw13 02-13-2018 06:14 AM

Growing up in the 80's, one of my favorite bands was Dokken. Loved Don Dokken's voice. Heard a clip of them from a recent performance. A shadow of his former self. Sad too as I was hoping to go see them when they come around.

Porch Dweller 02-13-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 2144214)

I caught that tour, too, at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds. Motorhead was supposed to be the first opener but were a no-show for some reason. It was the show where Layne Staley broke his foot when he wrecked on an ATV. Our seats were so high up we actually saw him wreck and the ambulance come out and get him, although we didn't know who it was at that time. AIC's set was delayed while they set his foot; they brought out a chair for him to sit on while he sang.

And yep, Ozzy was great that night. Damn, that was over a quarter century ago.

drjammer 02-13-2018 06:58 AM

Saw Ozzy for the first time in July of 1989 at Red Rocks :banger
The Opening bands sucked but Ozzy and the band were awesome :)

icehog3 02-13-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2144414)
Glenn Tipton has announced his retirement. I have mixed feelings on this as they promoted the Tour as him playing when they knew there was a strong likelihood he would not play. I find this kind of unethical, but am still going to one of the local shows next month.

So it will just be Halford and Hill from the original line up, eh?

FYI, I saw Priest opening for UFO in '79 on their first U.S. tour.

mosesbotbol 02-13-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2144433)
So it will just be Halford and Hill from the original line up, eh?

Yup.

I saw the Redeemer of Souls tour and that was great. Cool multi-media screen in the background really tied the performance together.