Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7569)

Mister Moo 01-07-2009 05:37 AM

I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime

The further I slid into home roasting, mokapots, home espresso and total coffee madness the more I find myself ordering tea when I am away from "safe" cups of java. It's not like a drink a lot of coffee - just a daily cup/shot or two (rarely three). I don't get headaches if I go caffeine-free for a few days.

I met a colleague at a (new to me) coffeehouse in Raleigh yesterday morning and was served a cappuccino that was (really) too rotten to drink. He bought. I sipped it down without frown or comment but I'd never go back there again. Personally, I'd much rather drink tea or nothing than bad coffee. I used to not care - now I do. No snobbery - just great coffee, good coffee or, short of that, tea or orange juice in the morning.

Do you have a cut-off point or are you in the "who cares" camp?

Tombstone 01-07-2009 06:13 AM

Re: I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime

I love to drink coffee in the morning. I just started a new workout regiment that will now allow me to drink coffee:fl.

Volt 01-07-2009 06:38 AM

I will drink coffee any time any where for the most part. I'm not into the weird stuff that many drink. Large and black is my preference. No cinnamon, foam, skim any thing, swirls, etc. No flavors or smells other than rich coffee :) Not knocking them, just not how I roll. I usually drink all day and can take a cup to bed with me. 20 years of Naval training :D I have had to drink burnt coffee in the past, but at 0230 in the morning you drink what's available when your on watch.

As an aside - in my few stops at Starbucks, I have found their coffee to be extremely bitter and burnt tasting. 7-11 and Wawa sell decent enough coffee for me. I already have migraines and do go through caffeine withdrawal and get a migraine if I do not keep my caffeine intake up. Hmmm time to find a cup.

Maybe not up to "real" coffee standards.......

Hardcz 01-07-2009 07:11 AM

I'm about anytime any place for the most part. There is some coffee I'll shy away from.. sadly I'm forced to drink the swill at work till I get a french press in here...at least I make it with the "correct" amount of water and coffee grounds..... so it's at least somewhat bearable for the 8 hours I'm here...though nothing to a real cup of joe. Strangely I like the old time diner watered down coffee taste, brings me back to my youth sipping coffee with my grandpa. So I will drink some of that, seems like all the diners have the same watered down weak coffee that I remember.

Volt 01-07-2009 07:31 AM

It's called they re-use the grounds to save money

Hardcz 01-07-2009 07:47 AM

it's called I like it because my grandpa used to sneak me coffee when we went to diners and doughnut shops...

Damn Volt do you need more coffee for you to be nice again?

King James 01-07-2009 08:03 AM

I can drink coffee anytime, but don't know that I would drink ANY coffee. I have by no means an extremely refined palate, but can tell the difference between my home roast and mom's instant flavored crap. I cut off @ that point maybe.

Hardcz 01-07-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 154640)

Quit crying.

Shortly, you will receive the freshest, tastiest coffee you've ever had. Roasted expressly for you. Enjoy.

Order Number : 2193
Placed : 01/07/2009 10:28:25 EDT

Ship To: Bill To:
Michael Melton Dan Lewis

Mister Moo 01-07-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 154640)

USN coffee does not count.

Volt 01-07-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 154835)
USN coffee does not count.

Hehe, those 20 lb silver cans have kept many a Sailor awake and on watch over the decades! 30 cup percolator, yummy!

gvarsity 01-07-2009 10:02 AM

I will drink about anything depending on circumstances. In a case like that I would just dump honey in it ( I avoid white sugar) and think of it as a coffee soda. I like good beer, good wine, good food etc... My analogy for food is there is dining where you are eating good food and enjoying it vs. calorie consumption where you hardly notice what you are eating.

MithShrike 01-07-2009 10:37 AM

I'll drink tea over coffee on a regular basis. Coffee is an occasional thing for me. I occasionally hit the Starbucks by my B&M but I always get tea.

Cigary 01-07-2009 02:55 PM

I love good coffee and won't drink stale, old or caffeine coffee. Like cigars, I won't waste time on a dog rocket or something that won't satisfy my tastes and I don't think that is snobby. I have drank tea in some forms and actually started to really like it when the wife and I went on a Queen Mary 2 Cruise some years ago and went to the daily tea room,,,amazing! Scones, cakes, sandwiches all served with the best linens and silver which was quite a treat for Americans,,,if that wasn't a bit of snobbery then I don't know snobby,,,but it was great and we looked forward to "tea time" daily. Every time we cruise we now attend as it's the perfect break in the day.

Swampper 01-07-2009 03:47 PM

I'll make an americano for the road before heading out, and drink tea or hot water at work.

If I'm running around town I will grab something at one of my trusted coffee shops. Starb*cks is off-limits.

floydpink 01-07-2009 04:30 PM

Ever since I made the mistake of scrolling down to the coffee forums I have been a different person regarding coffee.

i used to think Bustello was exotic coffee but now rarely find any coffee away from home I like and often prefer an iced green tea.

Fumes 01-07-2009 09:09 PM

My consumption has decreased significantly over the past decade -- from five or six cups a day to around two or three -- but I still try to have a cup of home roast, warm or cold, within arms reach at all times. Because you never know...

tchariya 01-07-2009 10:01 PM

I prepare my own three-shot latte in the mornings for the train ride. On weekends I will sip through a few expresso shots with some tiny bars of dark chocolate and/or choice cigar.

I stay clear from anyone else's mass produced espresso or coffee except for Vietnamese iced coffee or thai iced coffee.

Mark 01-07-2009 10:04 PM

Two stipulations:

Not Burned (Eliminates charbucks)
and
Espresso strength, coffee volume.

I find myself drinking italian espresso most of the time. Gosh the stuff is good in the percolator. :D

alley00p 01-07-2009 10:36 PM

I drink coffee all the time... even now out in my mini-mancave!

I take a cup from home for my drive to work. Once there, I steer clear of the coffee they make for meetings in one of those Bunn three burner coffe service things. I have a Senseo right now and use pods from Cafejo ( each pod is nitrogen sealed in it's own little package) when I want a cuppa at work.

I mainly like their Adrenline Explosion, Columbian Gold and Keynan pods the best. I'm planning on getting a french press for work soon. :D

:dance::dance::dance:

Mister Moo 01-08-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 156632)
I drink coffee all the time... I'm planning on getting a french press for work soon. :D

You're screwed. :D