Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Your Favorite Blended Scotch Whiskey's (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5946)

JohnnyFlake 12-09-2008 03:03 PM

Your Favorite Blended Scotch Whiskey's

There is another thread in the works concerning your favorite Scotch Whiskey, however, it seems to be locked in on Single Malt Scotches. As many of you know, there is another world out there consisting of Blended Scotch Whiskey's, which can be even more complex than Single Malts, and are usually available at much lower prices.

My top three, at this time in my life, are:

No. 1 - Chivas Regal 18yo which cost about $60 for a fifth
No. 2 - Johnnie Walker Black which cost about $28 for a fifth
No. 3 - Teachers Highland Cream, which cost about $22 for a fifth

Ace$nyper 12-11-2008 01:35 AM

Re: Your Favorite Blended Scotch Whiskey's

JW Blue, and only out of a coffee mug, long story.

JW Black for normal consumption.

Kinda a JW fan personally other wise I like singles.

Buena Fortuna 12-11-2008 05:41 AM

Crown Royal Special Reserve $45

If it's Canadian does it count???;)

MadAl 12-11-2008 06:14 AM

JWBlack for me too!

SmokingJoey 12-11-2008 06:18 AM

Cutty Sark, the cheap stuff!

kayaker 12-11-2008 06:21 AM

Te Bheagh (pronounced Chey Vek), is my favourite, although my experience is limited.

I was just given an article on Blended Whiskies. Here are the "hot bottles":

Dewar's 12 / $30
JW Black Label / $34
Famous Grouse 12 / $35 (this is actually a blended/vatted/pure malt, quite nice.)
JW Gold Label / $70
Jameson 18 Limited Reserve /$74 (Irish)
Islay Mist 17 / $85 (I love Islay malts, so I'd love to try this sometime)
Kilbeggan 15 / $100 (Irish)
Midleton Very Rare / $110 (Irish)
Jameson Rarest Vinatge Reserve / $250 (Irish)
Suntory Hibiki 30 / $1000 (Japanese)

I've only had #s 2, 3 and 4. I may have to get a blended Scotch tasting on the go after Christmas to find out more about what I like.

croatan 12-11-2008 07:28 AM

JW Green is about the only blend I drink often. I really like it, though :)

kayaker 12-11-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by croatan (Post 113517)
JW Green is about the only blend I drink often. I really like it, though :)

Green is a blended malt. Have you tried the Famous Grouse 12? It has 4 great single malts (about $60 each around here) and sells for much cheaper. It's quite nice.

croatan 12-11-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 113579)
Green is a blended malt.

True. It's a vatted malt. There's no grain in there. Which may be why it appeals to me.

I think it fits better into this thread than the single malt thread, though.

Quote:

Have you tried the Famous Grouse 12? It has 4 great single malts (about $60 each around here) and sells for much cheaper. It's quite nice.
Honestly, I've always passed over that one, assuming it couldn't be good because it's so cheap. I'll give it a try based on your recommendation, though. Thanks.

--

On another note: I do really enjoy blended Irish whiskeys. Is that going to be a new thread? :)

JohnnyFlake 12-11-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 113404)
Te Bheagh (pronounced Chey Vek), is my favourite, although my experience is limited.

I was just given an article on Blended Whiskies. Here are the "hot bottles":

Dewar's 12 / $30
JW Black Label / $34
Famous Grouse 12 / $35 (this is actually a blended/vatted/pure malt, quite nice.)
JW Gold Label / $70
Jameson 18 Limited Reserve /$74 (Irish)
Islay Mist 17 / $85 (I love Islay malts, so I'd love to try this sometime)
Kilbeggan 15 / $100 (Irish)
Midleton Very Rare / $110 (Irish)
Jameson Rarest Vinatge Reserve / $250 (Irish)
Suntory Hibiki 30 / $1000 (Japanese)

I've only had #s 2, 3 and 4. I may have to get a blended Scotch tasting on the go after Christmas to find out more about what I like.

Hey Brother,

You seem to be well into the better whiskey's. May I suggest that you give Teacher's Highland Cream, Jameson 18yo and Chivas Regal 18yo a try. I believe that you will be amazed at how wonderful they are. IMHO, the Teacher's has to be the best whiskey ever, for the price!

kayaker 12-11-2008 05:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't usually spend more the $60 or so on a bottle. But when I'm working good overtime and hitting the scotch tastings, I move up a bit, but usually nothing too outrageous (my expensive bottle yet cost ~$250, and that took several weeks of building up to it :D).

GWN 12-11-2008 06:23 PM

I often drink Whyte & MacKay when I can't afford a single malt.

DonnieW 12-11-2008 06:39 PM

Famous Grouse

JohnnyFlake 12-11-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 114637)
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't usually spend more the $60 or so on a bottle. But when I'm working good overtime and hitting the scotch tastings, I move up a bit, but usually nothing too outrageous (my expensive bottle yet cost ~$250, and that took several weeks of building up to it :D).

Fortunately, I've had the opportunity to taste some very expensive whiskey's over the years, because of many wealthy contacts, and relative with bucks. To be honest, I find them to be rather boring, extremely smooth, but not so very complex, as with the younger offering. I find that I much prefer whiskey's that are 12yo, 15yo, and my favorite, 18yo, far more than the 25yo and older, and much more expensive offerings. The 12yo JW Black is my go to whiskey, I love it, and the Teacher's Highland Cream at about $20/$25 a bottle is amazing. But when I want to drink the best, IMHO, it's Jameson 18yo, Highland Park 18yo, Chivas Regal 18yo and Redbreast 12yo. They are a few of the finest whiskey's you will ever drink!

goalie204 03-03-2009 10:04 PM

i just tried jw black tonight for hte first time, had it after a glass of glen fiddich 12 yo (is that a single?)

I don't know anything about whiskey, except that i enjoy it, and this jw black was really great

kayaker 03-03-2009 10:34 PM

The Glenfiddich is a single malt.

You should try the Glenlivet as well. It's a single malt and usually priced the same as Glenfiddich.

RBOrrell 03-04-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN (Post 114716)
I often drink Whyte & MacKay when I can't afford a single malt.

Whyte & MacKay Thirteen !! hey now:dr

dccraft 03-04-2009 07:49 PM

Picked up a bottle of JW Black. First time I tried it & it was very nice. This one could be a habit.

goalie204 03-04-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 269395)
The Glenfiddich is a single malt.

You should try the Glenlivet as well. It's a single malt and usually priced the same as Glenfiddich.

On the way home from the usa i will be getting a bottle of duty free vodka and a bottle of the JW black because it was so great, next time i will get the single malts tho, but truthfully as a newbie, i enjoyed the JW black more

mosesbotbol 03-05-2009 05:14 AM

Black all the way for regular stuff. It's number one for a reason... Actually Red is number one for JW in terms of sales.

Funny, in India, they have several brands of Scotch that are copies of JW Black; one called "Black Cat".