Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   A nice Margarita for Spring (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14555)

TideRoll 04-24-2009 07:05 PM

A nice Margarita for Spring

I confess, I have a weakness for a margarita from time to time. We cooked fajitas tonight so I did my favorite margarita.

I used:

5 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 oz fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 egg white
four ounces of white tequila
about three ounces of triple sec
dash of Gran Marnier
dash of gold tequila
1-1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar

fresh fruit makes a real difference.

The original formula was basically two or three ounces of lime juice, an ounce and a half of tequila, ounce or so of triple sec or Cointreau. Not bad if you are a tequila fan, but not something you expect to get from the palm leaf-covered bar by the pool.

Any other brothers or sisters out there have a Margarita recipe they'd like to share?

rizzle 04-28-2009 09:43 AM

Re: A nice Margarita for Spring

Egg white?

I know us Alabamians have some strange taste buds on occasion but I ain't never heard of that one. Help a brother out here.

jwintosh 04-28-2009 09:53 AM

gonna have to try this one! thanks!!

TideRoll 04-29-2009 11:20 PM

The egg white thickens it just slightly but is really used so that when it is shaken it lightens the taste a bit (think of meringue). It helps give it a bit of a foamy consistency, but you don't want too much or you end up with a burp cocktail. You can omit the egg.

awsmith4 04-29-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TideRoll (Post 362958)
The egg white thickens it just slightly but is really used so that when it is shaken it lightens the taste a bit (think of meringue). It helps give it a bit of a foamy consistency, but you don't want too much or you end up with a burp cocktail. You can omit the egg.

Looks like a good drink :tu

I have had luck adding half a beer to the pitcher to add thickness and has worked great, never tried egg whites but will soon

themoneycollector 04-30-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 359807)
Egg white?

This is the first time I've ever heard this too.

Scottw 04-30-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themoneycollector (Post 363182)
This is the first time I've ever heard this too.

me too, especially in something like a margarita

ucla695 05-02-2009 10:59 AM

New to me too, but hey, sounds like a good recipe.

TideRoll 06-05-2009 09:16 PM

I suppose I should have mentioned the classic: 1 part Grand Marnier, 1 part tequila, 1 part juice (either all lime or a 2:1 lime to lemon with a splash of orange juice). I kicked one of these out this evening and was reminded of the appeal of the classic, original concoction. Twice as strong but well balanced all the same.

The only problem with Margaritas is that they really don't pair all that well with any cigar....

shilala 06-05-2009 10:07 PM

The only thing I ever missed about stopping drinking were my Margaritas.
They're incredible. I think I could have died happy if I'd have drowned in a pool of rita's. :)

BeerAdvocate 06-05-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 362973)
Looks like a good drink :tu

I have had luck adding half a beer to the pitcher to add thickness and has worked great, never tried egg whites but will soon

Adding beer is the way to go!