Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Best Zeppelin Album (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47965)

blugill 07-30-2011 10:40 PM

Best Zeppelin Album

Ok fans of the Mighty Zep, what's the best album out there?

Jason 07-30-2011 10:46 PM

Re: Best Zeppelin Album

impossible choice

ChicagoWhiteSox 07-30-2011 10:47 PM

Yeah I would say it's too hard to make a choice, but I have listened to IV more than any other album. So my vote is IV. Really, they had NO bad album.

blugill 07-30-2011 11:03 PM

I've listened to IV more than any other as well but I and II have some of the best songs Zep ever made on them!
I know a lot of people are partial to Physical Graffiti and it's a great double album too but it's also got some so so songs on it.
IV is solid all the way through though.

III is probably one of the most underrated album though but not quite the best.

SvilleKid 07-30-2011 11:24 PM

Albums about airships? I don't get it!!

:r
:D

I vote for Runes (I know, "How original", right?)

Although, I was going thru about 300 LPs I purchased in bulk 6 months ago, and discovered I have now acquired 2 additional copies of Runes, one of Houses of the Holy and one of their "2" album!

Aporschaguy 07-30-2011 11:24 PM

That's a tough one... Zeppelin III

blugill 07-30-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aporschaguy (Post 1355202)
That's a tough one... Zeppelin III

Wow, it's almost Zeppelin unplugged but a good album.

I'm thinking Coda or ITTOD won't get many votes though.

Aporschaguy 07-30-2011 11:48 PM

Almost I loved the folk and acoustic sounds. I listen to it all the time when flying. Coda was a good album. We're Gonna Groove and I Can't Quit You Baby are great. Though I think they were actually recorded or played earlier than Cuda.

Don Fernando 07-31-2011 12:21 AM

"the best off"

MarkinAZ 07-31-2011 12:28 AM

Led Zeppelin rel in Jan 1969
Led Zeppelin II rel in Oct 1969
Led Zeppelin III rel in Oct 1970
Led Zeppelin IV rel in Nov 1971

Houses of the Holy rel in Mar 1973
Physical Graffiti rel in Feb 1975
Presence rel in Mar 1976
The Song Remains the Same (their movie/tour soundtrack) rel in Sept 1976
In Through the Out Door rel in Aug 1979
Coda rel in Nov 1982

They all have their own unique flavors and sound, and would have to give them all a big thumbs-up:D

designwise1 07-31-2011 12:28 AM

Runes. Without a doubt!

Sawyer 07-31-2011 05:19 AM

Don't know if it is the best, but III is my favorite so that is what I voted.

icehog3 07-31-2011 07:11 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studi.../dp/B000002IWP

Although I could make a case for any of the first 7, I picked Physical Graffiti for its diversity.

shilala 07-31-2011 07:52 AM

Super difficult decision. I had to go with II only because there's not a single song on that album that I didn't love from the very first time I listened to it.
My absolute favorites Zep song is Hey, Hey, What Can I Do. When I was just a little booger I had a heck of a time rounding up that song because it was only on the flip side of the Black Dog .45. I had to special order it from National Record Mart at the mall and waited the standard 6 to 8 weeks.
Weird thing, I looked at Wikipedia and they say it was released on the B side of the Immigrant Song. I'm absolutely certain mine had Black Dog on the A side. It must have been a second market thing, this was around 1980. I actually found out how to find it from a music encyclopedia I had, I had never heard the song and it was the last piece I needed in my collection till Coda came out later, which I thought was a HUGE disappointment at the time. Later I understood it for what it was and enjoyed it, but it's still the least favorite album for me right up till today.
I would have picked Physical Graffiti because I gave it the most play time along the way, but I wore it out. What an incredible album it was.

LasciviousXXX 07-31-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1355384)
Although I could make a case for any of the first 7, I picked Physical Graffiti for its diversity.

I knew there was a reason we got along buddy :tu

I did the same

Sawyer 07-31-2011 08:02 AM

I like the large blues influence on III. That is why I picked it. May change next week though as they all have their merits.

OLS 07-31-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1355132)
impossible choice

Absolutely NOT an impossible choice.

Scott and i also seem to be along the same lines. Physical Graffiti is the best to me, too much to love
about it. The album I find myself going back to over and over as relief from Physical Graffitti is LZ II.
The Lemon Song, I mean are you kidding me? Great album. I also enjoyed Coda on it's release, but in
time I grew a little tired of it, based on it's overall "wrongness" standing up next to the other albums.
but in the end, I really like it alot. Hot Dog, haha, what a song. The whole record is now contextually
correct to me. I like 4, too, but Stairway to heaven kind of died on me, just can't HEAR it anymore.
That takes down the so-called Runes LP. Yeah, it's PG or II....What would be a good excercise for Rock
newbies who love the Killers and other modern bands and might think Zeppelin?? Why would I listen to that?
Get em all and find out for yourself which one is best and why it's all good. Houses of the Holy is also a
great mix of styles and songs.

kelmac07 07-31-2011 08:21 AM

WOW...extremely tough question. I gotta go with Houses of The Holy...it's MY favorite Zeppelin album. When I heard Over The Hills And Far Away it blew my mind. I still thinks it ranks as one of the best songs of all times.

pnoon 07-31-2011 08:36 AM

Not to split hairs here but I think there is a difference (at least for me) between the best album and my favorite.

Best - I voted for LZ II
Favorite - Houses of The Holy with LZ IV a close second.

I like them all so this was a tough choice. One of my favorite bands.

DMK 07-31-2011 09:56 AM

Very tough choice.... :sh
I went with IV, because of the most favourite tracks, but truly the boxed set that was released on 7 September 1990 it the best I currently own.