Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gin Thread! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28892)

shibby4781 10-22-2012 04:06 PM

Re: Gin Thread!

Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?

pnoon 10-22-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby4781 (Post 1737266)
Thanks again! Ok, one last question. What cigars would pair well with a martini or gin in general?

Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.

qwerty1500 10-22-2012 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1737286)
Haven't found one yet that didn't pair well.

I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:

pnoon 10-22-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty1500 (Post 1737318)
I totally agree. An ice cold martini seems to highlight rather than mask the cigar flavors I really like.

As for vermouth ... dont be afraid of it. Normally mix 3:1. It's wine and is best when it's fresh rather than some that has been sitting in an opened bottle for months. I recently discovered Lillet ... the best wine mixer for martinis I have ever tried:

Well said, my martini loving friend.

I'm more of 4:1 or 5:1 but besides that, your post is spot on.
I need to try the Lillet. Heard good things about it.

shibby4781 10-22-2012 07:38 PM

OK I'm hooked! :dr

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6498c415.jpg

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.

pnoon 10-22-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby4781 (Post 1737399)

I tasted the New Amsterdam on its own and was very surprised and pleased. Very smooth with nice flavors. I did approximately the 3:1 mix. I like it a lot for my first attempt. I will definitely play around with the ratio over the next few. Thank you all for the advice & recommendations. Next venture Bloody Mary/Maria recipes but that's another thread.

Welcome to the fold. :D

Whee 10-22-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Another convert. Welcome to the club.
:D

pnoon 10-22-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.

Whee 10-22-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1737415)
Oh . . .
And don't let anyone try and tell you a martini is made with vodka. Otherwise, we'll have to revoke your martini card.

:h5

shibby4781 10-22-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1737415)
Oh . . .

:r:r Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.

qwerty1500 10-23-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibby4781 (Post 1737452)
:r:r Just wanted to add a little James Bond flavor to the mix. I shook it. I swear!. I have to say that it pairs extremely well with the My Father Le Bijou 1922 I'm smoking tonight. It's very clean versus the wine (Franzia) I usually drink while smoking.

Knew you'd like it.

oooo35980 11-08-2012 03:29 PM

I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?

pnoon 11-08-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oooo35980 (Post 1746890)
I was intrigued by the idea of a Martini a few years ago, I never really liked them though, they were good but didn't taste much different than gin on the rocks. The reason being that thanks to Alton Brown I was basically making cold gin with an olive in it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a website touting a classic martini, and man what a difference. Vermouth isn't some caustic chemical only to be added so that you can say you're technically not drinking a glass of stirred gin, it's an integral park of the cocktail, who knew? I had a few the other night and they just kept getting better and better.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are only 3 types of Gin in the whole state (Not counting the big plastic Jug), Tangueray, Bombay, and Beefeater. The only Vermouth I've found is Martini & Rossi. Is there a large enough variation in Vermouth for me to go out and try to find something different, or is Martini & Rossi pretty much the standard?

Welcome to the dark side. :D

Try varying the proportions of vermouth until you find the ratio you like. You may find different gins marry well in different proportions to vermouth. Martini & Rossi is pretty much the standard. Lillet (mentioned above) is supposed to be a bit better but I have not had it before. It is on my list to try. Buy your vermouth in smaller quatities as it is a wine and will turn bad over time.

There are many great quotes about martinis. Two of my favorites:

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough."
James Thurber

"I like to have a martini, two at the very most --After three I'm under the table, After four, I'm under my host."
Dorothy Parker

oooo35980 11-08-2012 04:03 PM

Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.

pnoon 11-08-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oooo35980 (Post 1746901)
Thanks, I didn't realize the Vermouth would go bad, what's the time frame on that? If it goes as fast as regular white wine I'm pitching it out today. Hopefully it being infused and fortified will buy me more than a day or two.

As for Gin all I have on hand is Beefeater, because while I was looking at the Gin shelf it struck me as probably the most traditional, complete guess though. I kind of settled on 3:1 with the Beefeater, 5:1 tasted like pure Gin to me, 4:1 was great, 3:1 was the best. I did drink them in that order though. Might have something to do with it.

To the best of my knowledge, vermouth is neither infused nor fortified. Also, white wine should last more than a couple of days. I try and replace my vermouth within a couple of weeks. Refrigerate it and you should be fine but fresh is always better.

There is no correct proportion. Whatever tastes best to you.

T.G 11-08-2012 10:39 PM

If you need to store the vermouth (or wine) for an extended period, just get a bottle of water, like arrowhead, sparklets, evian, etc... pour out the water, and, over the sink, pour the vermouth (or wine) into the bottle, put the cap on loosely, then start slowly crushing the bottle until the level of liquid is even with the top of the threads. Screw the cap back on and chuck it in the refrigerator. It will last much longer now that you have eliminated the air/oxygen space.

Tallman 11-22-2012 07:10 AM

I've always been a gin and tonic drinker...and my staple gins have always been Tanqueray and Bombay. After reading this thread, I picked up a bottle of Hendricks last night. I shall report upon my first martini very soon!

pnoon 01-15-2013 10:05 PM

My latest purchase. Haven't had a chance to open it up yet.

Counter Gin
"After several months of formulation we believe Counter Gin is destined to “rewrite” what a American gin can and should be. It’s named Counter for a good reason. Unlike so many heavily “Juniper” English and American dry gins, Counter is designed to “show off” the unique flavors of the many “handpicked” botanicals.

You’ll notice this immediately. The juniper berry is a “upfront” essential flavor that all gins must have but after the juniper you can actually pick out the Tarragon, Lavender, Verbena, Cucumber, and the Orange Peel.
This unique gin is a perfect “counter” to the old gins and hopefully, begins a new chapter in what a thoughtful, creative small craft distilled product can be."

Sounds intriguing to me.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps17dda9c6.jpg

Whee 03-13-2013 08:43 PM

Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.:dr

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.:r

357 03-14-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whee (Post 1806968)
Finally grabbed a bottle of Death's Door. Interesting stuff. Kind of citrusy.:dr

Anybody ever had aged gin? It looks like whisky. I forgot the names of the two brands they had at the liquor store. Looks like I will need to save up some more allowance money.:r

I think someone brought some to Shack two years ago. It tasted a lot like whiskey if that's what that stuff was.

pnoon 05-29-2013 07:37 AM

Bought and tried Bloom gin.
Style is a London Dry Gin. Not usually a style I prefer but this was quite good.

I also finally bought the third St George gin - Botanivore. Similar to the Terrior. Very tasty.

Blak Smyth 05-29-2013 08:38 AM

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaw...0a9f199e_6.jpg

I recently tried my first gin (Bluecoat). I thought it was very good with a crisp clean citrus zest.

I am new to gin, sounds like I need to find some St. Germain.

bstarrs 06-03-2013 07:35 PM

For plain old Gin, Broker's is my favorite. And for something special I really enjoy a Hendrick's G&T with some cucumber slices. It's amazing.

crgcpro 06-03-2013 08:42 PM

I bought some Hendrick's for a bombing run on a buddy today. Never had it though.

bstarrs 06-03-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crgcpro (Post 1843577)
I bought some Hendrick's for a bombing run on a buddy today. Never had it though.

You should definitely pick up a bottle for yourself. It's amazing stuff, just make sure you throw a cucumber slice in a Hendrick's G&T. It's so refreshing and clean on your palette.

crgcpro 06-03-2013 09:02 PM

Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

aaron72 06-24-2013 11:00 AM

Not sure if you guys would consider this sacrilegious or not, but I've never really tried gin until I was introduced to a Gin Buck. It actually surprised me as to how good it was.

pnoon 06-24-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron72 (Post 1853629)
Not sure if you guys would consider this sacrilegious or not, but I've never really tried gin until I was introduced to a Gin Buck. It actually surprised me as to how good it was.

I have no clue as to what a Gin Buck is.

qwerty1500 06-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron72 (Post 1853629)

Had to Google it ... what I found says gin and ginger ale. If you like that, you ought to try gin and Fresca ... probably my second favorite gin cocktail.

aaron72 06-24-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1853630)
I have no clue as to what a Gin Buck is.

Sorry, it's Gin, Ginger Ale and lemon juice.

I think a more potent ginger ale is best for this like Vernor's or ginger beer.

yourchoice 06-24-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron72 (Post 1853650)

I've had Gin and Ginger Ale together (never knew if it had a name...just called it and Gin and Ginger). Very enjoyable.

Never added lemon juice though. :hm

357 06-24-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron72 (Post 1853650)

Wait a minute! They have Verner's ginger ale in California? :O

pnoon 07-20-2013 10:18 PM

Bought a bottle of Uncle Val's today.
I know absolutely nothing about it nor have I read any reviews.
A totally blind buy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server17....1280.1280.jpg

Ahbroody 08-24-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1841146)
http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaw...0a9f199e_6.jpg

I recently tried my first gin (Bluecoat). I thought it was very good with a crisp clean citrus zest.

I am new to gin, sounds like I need to find some St. Germain.

If you like bluecoat and I the citrus I would also recommend Citadel, Damrak, and Magellan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1863746)
Bought a bottle of Uncle Val's today.
I know absolutely nothing about it nor have I read any reviews.
A totally blind buy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server17....1280.1280.jpg

Would like to hear your impression on this if you have tried it.

As far as Favorites. Martin Miller for classic London Dry, Deaths door american style spice and juniper , Citadel very Floral and Citrus. Bluecoat is very good, but think deaths door just offers more

Seamus 08-24-2013 04:20 PM

My current favorite is Nolet's.

yourchoice 08-29-2013 09:09 PM

Had a Beefeater G&T tonight with a fine cigar. Very enjoyable.

replicant_argent 08-30-2013 06:40 AM

I may have missed a release from Bombay, my favorite go-to gin. I saw that they had released a "Bombay East" when cruising through the hotel shop in Vegas at a trade show a month or so ago. Lemongrass and Vietnamese black peppercorns added as a botanical, completely up my palate alley, so to speak. Looked around locally, no dice. Either it was a limited thing or a failure or flyover country doesn't count. Anyone try it? I may have to just adulterate a bottle with adjuncts myself.

Doh, edit.... used the search button, reading up in the thread actually is worthwhile ;) . Is it still available in any markets?

pnoon 08-30-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1878693)
I may have missed a release from Bombay, my favorite go-to gin. I saw that they had released a "Bombay East" when cruising through the hotel shop in Vegas at a trade show a month or so ago. Lemongrass and Vietnamese black peppercorns added as a botanical, completely up my palate alley, so to speak. Looked around locally, no dice. Either it was a limited thing or a failure or flyover country doesn't count. Anyone try it? I may have to just adulterate a bottle with adjuncts myself.

Doh, edit.... used the search button, reading up in the thread actually is worthwhile ;) . Is it still available in any markets?

Readily available throughout southern California.

replicant_argent 08-30-2013 07:12 AM

Do you know if it is just regional release or out of production? I don't see any info on Bombays website, which probably tells me all I need to know.

pnoon 08-30-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1878698)
Do you know if it is just regional release or out of production? I don't see any info on Bombays website, which probably tells me all I need to know.

As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

;s

replicant_argent 08-30-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1878699)
As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

;s

I did it old school and just blasted them a comment via their "contact us" link on the site. Thanks for your input, sir.

Ahbroody 08-30-2013 10:02 AM

Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.

pnoon 08-30-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1878771)
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.

I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.

Ahbroody 09-02-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1878776)
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.

How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.

pnoon 09-02-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1879491)
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).

pnoon 01-15-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1879526)
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).

Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

http://static.wine-searcher.net/imag...e-10151906.jpg

Felixcigar 01-27-2014 12:37 PM

OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?

pnoon 01-27-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felixcigar (Post 1928093)
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?

22 posts in this thread reference Beefeater.

Felixcigar 01-27-2014 01:52 PM

Then I am in good company.

pnoon 01-27-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felixcigar (Post 1928164)
Then I am in good company.

Reading here is worth the time and effort.