Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Havana Club (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11734)

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-09-2009 09:43 AM

Havana Club

I am just wanting to know if anyone could give a quick review of any of the havana clubs. Interested in knowing how this stuff tastes from you guys. Thanks:)
http://www.havana-club.com/imgHtml/havana_bg.jpg

Mark C 03-09-2009 09:47 AM

Re: Havana Club

There've been a few threads here and at CS about HC. General concensus seems to be that it's decent rum, but there are better rums more readily available in the US. Especially if hitimewine will ship to your state.

mosesbotbol 03-09-2009 10:14 AM

Owned the 7 a while back and have tried several of the others. Honestly, it's nothing special at all.

Consider finding a bottle of pre-Revolution Bacardi if you want something unique of Rum from Cuba.

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-09-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 278617)
Owned the 7 a while back and have tried several of the others. Honestly, it's nothing special at all.

Consider finding a bottle of pre-Revolution Bacardi if you want something unique of Rum from Cuba.

Thanks. Ive had other people say the same thing, nothing special.

karmaz00 03-09-2009 10:42 AM

well in my opinion, the HC white, would not be the rum to have rum and cokes...i would mix it to make a nice slushly drink of some kind (pina colota)

i find that rum too sweet, and alot sweeter then barccardi, or anyother for that matter

Mark C 03-09-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmaz00 (Post 278661)
i find that rum too sweet, and alot sweeter then barccardi, or anyother for that matter

Have you tried Zacapa, Zaya, Diplomatico or Centenario? They're about as sweet as rum gets, how does the HC compare?

MiamiE 03-09-2009 04:34 PM

I have 2-3 bottles of each, way more than I ever will use, kind of wishing I hadnt bought so much. It is a decent rum. The white is great with those 'fruity' drinks as was mentioned.

WildBlueSooner 03-09-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 279212)
I have 2-3 bottles of each, way more than I ever will use, kind of wishing I hadnt bought so much. It is a decent rum. The white is great with those 'fruity' drinks as was mentioned.

Geez...get a little trigger happy? :al

M1903A1 03-09-2009 05:47 PM

My main memory of the Havana Club dark rum was that it reminded me of Ron Zacapa 23 that was watered down. Given a choice, I'd go for ol' Ron any day.

DrDubzz 03-09-2009 06:24 PM

I have about 2/3 bottle of the 7, I want to try the Barrell Proof, but honestly, the 7-12 Flor De Canas are every bit as good, legal, and cheap

robofan 03-09-2009 09:42 PM

I used to get free bottles from the B&M I bought CC from. I have had several different ones up to the 15 year old. I thought it was good rum, though I'm no rum expert, and I enjoyed the novelty of having it. That being said I would not go out of my way to get it nor would I pay a premium for it.

So I would say if you can get it with minimal hassle and for a good price go for it you won't regret it. Just don't expect it to be something spectacular.

RHNewfie 03-11-2009 02:48 PM

HC is ok, the 7 is not bad (15 is better). I would put Ron de Caney ahead of it and then Santiago de Cuba ahead of that again. Then there is Legendario, which is great, but not for mixing.

SilverFox 03-11-2009 03:02 PM

Only Rum's I drink are HC 15 and Legendario

Might be better out there but these are readily available, damn good and well priced for me.

Genetic Defect 03-11-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 278559)
There've been a few threads here and at CS about HC. General concensus seems to be that it's decent rum, but there are better rums more readily available in the US. Especially if hitimewine will ship to your state.

:tpd: although the better rum is not available here :bh

Anthem 03-11-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHNewfie (Post 282742)
HC is ok, the 7 is not bad (15 is better). I would put Ron de Caney ahead of it and then Santiago de Cuba ahead of that again. Then there is Legendario, which is great, but not for mixing.

Tried the HC 7 at the HC museum and I thought it was OK. A couple of locals recommended the Santiago de Cuba, so I picked up a couple of bottles but have not tried it yet.

Nelson 04-07-2009 11:43 AM

Unfortunately, cuban rum is not as good as the other stuff they make and we all covet so much. A decent rum which only brings back good ol memories and a longing of our former, dear Island.

mosesbotbol 04-07-2009 12:00 PM

Havana Club now has a NC version sold in USA; owned by Bacardi.

Is Bacardi manufactured still in Cuba?

Bear 04-07-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHNewfie (Post 282742)

I'm with you on the Legendario... :dr

Surprised there isn't more chatter about it. :confused:

a2vr6 04-07-2009 12:14 PM

Havans Club is pretty over-rated, much better stuff out there. It is a "decent" rum though. Gotta agree with Marc and Shawn. Legendario is great on the rocks if you like sweetness rum's.

RGD. 04-08-2009 12:32 PM

You know what - they are all decent to good rums. Sure there is always something better - heck, if you can get your hands on it grab a bottle of Cuban Mathusalem 15 Year old Rum - :dr

But there is also a lot worse to be had.

I have the Aņejo 7 year, Blanco and Anejo Especial. Use to have the Anejo 3 Anos. I say go ahead a grab a bottle if you want - use the whites for mixing and the others for sipping. You won't be disappointed unless you expect to fall to your knees and give homage to the Rum gods for the best drink.

Since we are tossing out other brands - one of my favorites, in addition to most of those listed already - is Mathusalem of the non-Cuban variety.

Ron