Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Worst contract in pro sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49777)

yachties23 10-04-2011 05:28 PM

Worst contract in pro sports

I started thinking about this when somebody brought up Arod the other day. I didn't realize they had 6 more years left at an average of 25 million. After this season, I can only imagine at 40 years old his production and a salary rivaling the GDP of some smaller countries that this was a bad extension by the Yankees, although with their resources its not likely to hamstring them.

Which is why I'd have to say the worst contract in the history of sports was the Islanders signing Rick DePeitro to a 15 year deal. Who the hell now a days gets a 15 year deal in any sport? Nevermind a guy who is always injured for a team that plays in the worst arena in all of professional sports. This one always flys under the radar usually people think Bobby Bonillia, or JaMarcus Russel, or Alan Houston, or any other number of insanely large contracts, but if you factor in how crippled the Islanders franchise is, with how much this signing is limiting them, I'd have to go with it as the worst contract that in pro sports.

chippewastud79 10-04-2011 06:27 PM

Re: Worst contract in pro sports

Elin Nordegren $10 million a year for 11 years. :r

In all honesty, the DiPietro contract is mind boggling, but the collection of terrible contracts by the Knicks in the last 15 years trumps his contract.

Alan Houston, Stephon Marbury, Jerome James (WHO?), Eddie Curry, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing.

All of them made more than the $4.5 million that DiPietro is getting and their money was guaranteed and most of them didn't even get thru half their contracts. :td

N2 GOLD 10-04-2011 06:31 PM

Remember this guy??? :r What was it $87, $88 mil...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...4426o63YIAm6X6

forgop 10-04-2011 06:34 PM

Payaton Manning signed a $90M deal this summer and who knows if he'll ever play another down.

kelmac07 10-04-2011 06:36 PM

Oliver Perez 3 years at $ 36 million...for a mediocre, at best, pitcher. :td :td

Cornrow_Wallis 10-04-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1429519)
Payaton Manning signed a $90M deal this summer and who knows if he'll ever play another down.

That is bad after the the fact though. It's not like the colts knew he wasn't going to be playing.

Stephen 10-04-2011 06:40 PM

http://www.loudsportsshorts.com/socc...ham-soccer.jpg
/thread

chippewastud79 10-04-2011 06:44 PM

David Beckham $1 million a week for 5 years. :hm

Quote:

If he never plays another down, the total remaining money on that contract becomes $0.00 million. Its hard for an NFL contract to be one of the worst contracts ever given that teams can cut players with no more money to be paid. Teams are often too stupid to cut players in time (see: J. Russell, Haynesworth, Vick x 2), but they have an out for every contract they sign unlike the NBA, MLB and NHL. :tu

bobarian 10-04-2011 07:46 PM

Barry Zito, $126m 7years plus $18m 2014 option or $7m buyout. Nuff said. :gary

Record for past five years 43-61 4.55era

yachties23 10-04-2011 08:44 PM

I almost forgot about Zito...

That was a questionable signing when they made it, his performance only makes it worse.

icehog3 10-04-2011 11:23 PM

Two words...Anfonso Soriano. ;)

AlohaStyle 10-05-2011 01:25 AM

Bobby Bonilla - The Mets traded him to Baltimore in 1995. In 2000, we learned the Mets agreed to pay out the remainder of Bonilla's contract by deferring the $5.9 million that he was due. The Mets will pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035, assuming an annual interest rate of 8% during the period 2011-2035.

You got to give Bonilla credit for accepting one of the best retirement programs ever! LOL

The absolute worst I think - Mike Hampton, Pitcher for Colorado $121 mil for 8 years.
Was traded in 2001 to Colorado... at Coors Field he went 21-28 with a 5.75 ERA over two seasons before being dealt to the Marlins then Braves with a last year ERA of 6.15. Had a couple decent years but then injuries hit him hard. The Rockies were still on the hook for his salary and then $6 million buyout in 2009.

AlohaStyle 10-05-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1429539)
David Beckham $1 million a week for 5 years. :hm

If he never plays another down, the total remaining money on that contract becomes $0.00 million. Its hard for an NFL contract to be one of the worst contracts ever given that teams can cut players with no more money to be paid. Teams are often too stupid to cut players in time (see: J. Russell, Haynesworth, Vick x 2), but they have an out for every contract they sign unlike the NBA, MLB and NHL. :tu

Agree with everything. $250 mil / 5 years for Beckham! And... NFL contracts are fully guaranteed, big difference.

jonumberone 10-05-2011 04:44 AM

I'm going with Baseballs first $100 million man
Kevin Brown
7 Years $105 million for a 34 year old pitcher
I couldn't find particulars but if I remember, there were a lot of fringe benefits built in as well.
Unlimited use of a private jet, and the largest suite in a hotel, ETC...

yachties23 10-05-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlohaStyle (Post 1429781)
Bobby Bonilla - The Mets traded him to Baltimore in 1995. In 2000, we learned the Mets agreed to pay out the remainder of Bonilla's contract by deferring the $5.9 million that he was due. The Mets will pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035, assuming an annual interest rate of 8% during the period 2011-2035.

You got to give Bonilla credit for accepting one of the best retirement programs ever! LOL

The absolute worst I think - Mike Hampton, Pitcher for Colorado $121 mil for 8 years.
Was traded in 2001 to Colorado... at Coors Field he went 21-28 with a 5.75 ERA over two seasons before being dealt to the Marlins then Braves with a last year ERA of 6.15. Had a couple decent years but then injuries hit him hard. The Rockies were still on the hook for his salary and then $6 million buyout in 2009.

Honestly the Bonilla thing is a joke. How do they not just pay him the 6 million? I know the Wilpons are cheap, but they literally are paying him 400 percent of what he was owed. When I first heard about that I was like no way, than thought, oh yeah the Wilpons would do something that stupid. Only my mets....

Blak Smyth 10-05-2011 05:19 AM

Albert Hanesworth
(Or any other big contract the Redskind have signed in the last few years)!

After the 2008 season, the Redskins signed Haynesworth to a seven-year, $100 million deal. Since then, he's been suspended by the team, failed a physical, been in a war with Mike Shanahan, and did not come close to being the defender he was in Tennessee.

You could argue that lasting more than one season makes this not as bad as McNabb or Sanders, but when you factor in on-field issues, off-field issues, and an inability to get in shape, he should have never come close to a $100 million deal.

The only thing I know for sure about the Redskins is we will not lose this week!:D

chippewastud79 10-05-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlohaStyle (Post 1429782)
NFL contracts are fully guaranteed, big difference.

:confused: Did you mean, not fully guaranteed? :confused:

Resipsa 10-05-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Find that Blantons stopper yet?

Resipsa 10-05-2011 11:22 AM

Forbes just had an article on the most overrpaid player in sports. The answer:

MARK SANCHEZ

shilala 10-05-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis (Post 1429534)
That is bad after the the fact though. It's not like the colts knew he wasn't going to be playing.

Quote:

Peyton Manning signed a $90M deal this summer and who knows if he'll ever play another down.

Indianapolis absolutely knew Manning may never play another down when they wrote that contract, it was common knowledge, disclosed by Peyton, his doctors and the team doctors.
Manning purposely had the Colt's proposed contract rewritten and restructured to protect the club that he loves (against his agent's wishes, of course) in the event he could no longer play, because he knew that it was realistic that he'd never play another down. All this was publicized. The club could have put Peyton on the PUP list at week two and avoided writing him a $5,000,000 paycheck that was coming due for (part of) this year. He should have been placed on the PUP, as they knew he'd not likely play a down this year, and the December rumor (that owner Jim Irsay started) was even a huge longshot. Even if he did come back this year, they weren't liable for that $5,000,000. If placed on the PUP, that would have meant he couldn't practice with the team, and they wouldn't hear of that. They literally paid five million dollars just so they could keep him in their presence.
Peyton is still on the active roster, where he will remain. This quarterback and this organization truly have a huge mutual respect and love for each other. This feel-good story between Peyton and the Colts organization is incredibly inspiring and refreshing in this time of assholes and dollar signs in the NFL. It's worth doing the legwork and reading up on it. It'll definately put a smile on anyone's face. :tu