Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   torch and cutter, in flight carry on? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36321)

Devanmc 09-13-2010 05:36 PM

torch and cutter, in flight carry on?

Well Im planning a trip home to visit my girl and family. Going to bring a few sticks back with me in a small travelador, which should be no problem at all. I am concerned however, about bringing my new xikar Xi2 and torch on the flight with me as im only bringing 1 bag(my carry on). Whats been everyone's experience with security handling cigar cutters and torches?

Note: security will be a bit lighter on me as i am military traveling in uniform.

forgop 09-13-2010 05:54 PM

Re: torch and cutter, in flight carry on?

Your cutter should be fine, but the torch will most likely be confiscated. My advice would be to leave the lighter at home and buy a gas station special when you get home for $5 or less. For crying out loud, TSA took my shave gel on Friday, so what do you think they'll do with a torch lighter?

bobarian 09-13-2010 05:59 PM

Torches are not allowed, if its a nice lighter no reason to take the risk although they seldom get confiscated. Cutters are also problematic. They are allowed but enforcing the rules is at the discretion of the TSA agent. If they decide to take it you cant argue with them. Put them in your checked luggage or leave at home and get them when you arrive. :2

icehog3 09-13-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 987706)
Torches are not allowed, if its a nice lighter no reason to take the risk although they seldom get confiscated. Cutters are also problematic. They are allowed but enforcing the rules is at the discretion of the TSA agent. If they decide to take it you cant argue with them. Put them in your checked luggage or leave at home and get them when you arrive. :2

Yup....a Bic ain't a torch, if they see the torch lighter it is as good as gone. I would just bring a cheapie cutter, I wouldn't risk my Palio or Xikar, there is too much inconsistency amongst individual TSA agents.

14holestogie 09-13-2010 07:08 PM

Yep, torches are a no-no. Not even allowed in checked baggage.
I have managed to sneak a Ronson through buried in my golf bag, but I'd never risk a pricier lighter.

I wouldn't risk an expensive cutter, either. That usually depends on the mood of the TSA agent whether it's allowed in carry-ons.

Chingas 09-13-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 987714)
Yup....a Bic ain't a torch, if they see the torch lighter it is as good as gone. I would just bring a cheapie cutter, I wouldn't risk my Palio or Xikar, there is too much inconsistency amongst individual TSA agents.

Agreed!

Cheap cutter, cheap lighter or buy it there and toss it.

I've never had a problem with either but it's not worth it. I deal with the same crap cause I carry two pocket knives, always. So I leave them in the car and buy some cheapies when I land. I gift them before I get back on the plane to go home.

pektel 09-13-2010 07:15 PM

i'd just mail them to your destination, and mail them back before you leave.
Posted via Mobile Device

Devanmc 09-13-2010 07:18 PM

alright, thanks for the advice guys. Just to reassure my self, there is no problem with a 5c xikar travelador(link) with some sticks in it, right?

14holestogie 09-13-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devanmc (Post 987813)
alright, thanks for the advice guys. Just to reassure my self, there is no problem with a 5c xikar travelador(link) with some sticks in it, right?

No worries with carrying sticks on. :tu

bobarian 09-13-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 987822)
No worries with carrying sticks on. :tu

:tpd: 'Cept that five ain't enough! :D

Devanmc 09-13-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 987853)
:tpd: 'Cept that five ain't enough! :D

its just a weekend trip, plan to have one with my girl and maybe one with her dad when i meet him. no need for more, atleast not yet :rolleyes:

dwoodward 09-13-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devanmc (Post 987859)
its just a weekend trip, plan to have one with my girl and maybe one with her dad when i meet him. no need for more, atleast not yet :rolleyes:

Hehe, better bring a cigar FOR her dad.

I'd fill that traveldor lol. If you like Rocky Patels, I am able to fit 6 of their box pressed cigars in my 5ct traveldor if I turn them sideways.

icehog3 09-13-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 987797)
Yep, torches are a no-no. Not even allowed in checked baggage.

Unless they are in one of the approved containers that conform to DOT-SP 14327. I have one made by Colibri.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a.../TRANZPACK.jpg

Mugen910 09-13-2010 10:37 PM

They will take everything from yous!

:r

J/K.

I carry a cheap plastic cutter and buy matches when I land. Problem solved.
Posted via Mobile Device

bvilchez 09-13-2010 11:01 PM

Same as everyone said above but don't think that just because you're in uniform you'll get some slack. Worse thing you can do is argue with them, lose, and damage it for the rest of the service members (not saying it'll happen but be careful).

As far as carrying sticks with you go ahead....hell I'm at the airport right now with about 15-20 of Cuba's finest (sticks that is).
Posted via Mobile Device

Barcode 09-13-2010 11:09 PM

My nephew just came back from Vegas and tried to bring 2 cutters he got for me and his Dad in his carry on bag and TSA said NO.

icehog3 09-13-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barcode (Post 988065)
My nephew just came back from Vegas and tried to bring 2 cutters he got for me and his Dad in his carry on bag and TSA said NO.

Yup, it can be a crapshoot with the TSA agents who don't understand their own policies...so I don't chance it with my good cutters.

dwoodward 09-14-2010 12:36 AM

The best advice I can give it use common sense... if it is even remotely dangerous... a torch could start a fire or a cutter could slice someones finger off, just put it in your checked luggage. Also, put it in a top pocket, don't bury it, because if they scan it and have to look for it, at least you might not be missing something else that fell on the ground while they were looking.

sevans105 09-14-2010 01:47 AM

Guillotine cutters can (and probably will) be snagged. Have never had a problem with a punch cutter...especially one on a key chain and I fly 2 to 3 times a week with it. Get a good punch cutter, get used to using it and buy a Jetlite for 4 bucks at walmart when you arrive.

pektel 09-14-2010 04:18 AM

i just picked up a ronson from walnart last night. 2.94 plus tax. Came loaded with fuel too.
Posted via Mobile Device