Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ashtray mouth... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55482)

ApexAZ 05-04-2012 02:46 PM

Ashtray mouth...

It's a bit of a problem for me lately. Ever since I got back from Vegas, it seems like when I smoke, all I taste is dirty ashtray taste. It just doesn't taste good. So I cut back to 1 a day and it doesn't seem to be going away. I think maybe I need to stop for a week or two and let my mouth rest.

Anyone ever have this? I assume it's from smoking too much. Does it go away?

bobarian 05-04-2012 03:48 PM

Re: Ashtray mouth...

There is no such thing as "too much" Sometimes stronger cigars(like those using Nicaraguan tobacco) will overwhelm more delicate sticks. Taste with your nose not your mouth and smoke slowly, one puff a minute. :2

thecatch83 05-04-2012 06:37 PM

I guess if you are cutting back and noticing a difference you're on to something. I smoke 1-2 cigars a week and that works for me and gives me something to look forward to in between Ironman training. I know some guys who smoke 1-2 per day. Whatever floats your boat so to speak.

ApexAZ 05-04-2012 07:55 PM

Well something has changed because cigars that I would normally really enjoy now taste like I've ashed into my mouth. No one has experienced this before?

cmitch 05-04-2012 09:38 PM

I went through a spell last year where my palate was off. It'll come around. Try hershey chocolate with almonds right before you smoke one and see if that puts your palate in gear.

Big Maduro 05-04-2012 10:09 PM

I thought it was my imagination. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Taste like an ash tray (as far as I can guess what one taste like) It was a La Gloria Cubana and a Rocky Mad. I slowed down on number of smokes (to two-three a week) and it stopped.

trendo 05-04-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1631289)
Well something has changed because cigars that I would normally really enjoy now taste like I've ashed into my mouth. No one has experienced this before?

Had my tonsils removed a couple of years back (not fun as an adult). Everything tasted bitter for a good six months. To date, I think I'm only about 75 percent back to normal. Most of the taste now days comes through the retrohale.

Jonathan Drew 05-05-2012 06:55 AM

You may have a cold and don't realize it, my friend. Blast the orange juice and vitmin C and take a week off the smokes.

Best,
JD

(And I am NOT a doctor, this is just my opinion obviously).

Lear31MX 05-05-2012 08:44 AM

Have you changed tooth paste latly? I know some stronger whitening tooth paste can change your palate.

saigon68 05-05-2012 10:07 AM

Are you on medication (or coming off?) such as antibiotics, cold medicine? They will affect your taste buds, front/back of your tongue. Mouthwash also. Take a break as suggested. Love of cigars will return before you know it.

ApexAZ 05-05-2012 08:10 PM

I was on coumadin blood thinners and recently taken off those. Recently I started taking prevacid. Maybe that's doing it.

Digs 05-05-2012 08:28 PM

I know it isnt a joking matter, but you havent been smoking Gurkhas have you :r

ApexAZ 05-05-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digs (Post 1631927)
I know it isnt a joking matter, but you havent been smoking Gurkhas have you :r

Haha, no gurkhas recently.:r

Trying to do the BTT smoke tonight and it's not as bad for these for some reason. Maybe since they just aren't as in-your-face as the Nic's.

levrac68 05-05-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1631289)

Funny you posted this, as it just happened to me a few days ago. I narrowed it down to a specific cigar that didn't agree with me. It gave me cotton mouth and even after all the cleansing with citric juice, tongue scraping, smart mouth, food and lots of water, it came back a few hours later. That taste will turn me off to smoking for days. My wife was NOT happy, even our pets stayed away. I also find a bad taste is more prevalent when I nub a cigar or smoke too fast letting it get hot. No problems with my regular stash when I smoke em slow and cool, even if I burn 3 or 4 consecutive sticks.

The ones I have problems with are LADC Mi Amors, and H. Upmann Habanas...

mosesbotbol 05-06-2012 06:16 AM

Could be a ph inbalance in your saliva or something. Do you smoke on an empty stomach or not?

Zanaspus 05-06-2012 08:05 AM

I am reminded of a wonderfully terse reply by UFPowerSmoker some time ago:

Whiskey Sir!

RichieBklyn 05-06-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1631153)
It's a bit of a problem for me lately. Ever since I got back from Vegas, it seems like when I smoke, all I taste is dirty ashtray taste. It just doesn't taste good. So I cut back to 1 a day and it doesn't seem to be going away. I think maybe I need to stop for a week or two and let my mouth rest.

Anyone ever have this? I assume it's from smoking too much. Does it go away?

ever since I got back from vegas??? what did u eat out there...? oh my bad what happens in vegas stays in vegas...:hm

oooo35980 05-06-2012 11:43 AM

I think it is some sort of overload, It happened to me after I nubbed a Viaje tnt. I took a few days off and then started smoking some lighter sticks, then I smoked a couple more medium and enjoyed them,but it was a good 2 weeks before I could touch another powerful cigar.

saigon68 05-06-2012 11:58 AM

I know that occasionally I seem to not have the want or taste for a cigar. Doesn't happen often. I wait awhile (maybe a week), & then I have a nice meal with some fine beverage (of your choice) and Voila! I want a Padron/Anejo maduro (I'm a maduro whore). Always works. Just don't worry yourself about it. Too much other Merde going around to matter.

us_soldier1989 05-06-2012 07:15 PM

I'm going through this issue right now. Started last week.