Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Where can I find interior door keys??? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38935)

forgop 11-15-2010 05:12 PM

Where can I find interior door keys???

You know the "keys" that have a flat screwdriver end that fits in a round hole and you just turn the door lock that route? I went through some stores like Menards or Home Depot some time ago in a quest to find some with no luck. Can't really even google something like interior door key to get what I'm looking for. Any suggestions???

hotreds 11-15-2010 05:19 PM

Re: Where can I find interior door keys???

locksmith?

area51 11-15-2010 05:20 PM

I looked too but I couldn't find any, we used to just use a small flat head. My best guess would be to buy the door knob and it most likely will come with that key.

chippewastud79 11-15-2010 05:33 PM

Check a used home building materials store in your area like Habitat for Humanity ReStore. :tu

GolfNut 11-15-2010 05:34 PM

Got a can of SPAM? Use the turnkey!

NCRadioMan 11-15-2010 05:35 PM

I've used precision screwdrivers before with great success.

Martel 11-15-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1062783)
I've used precision screwdrivers before with great success.

Yup. Works for me.

Cheers,
G

forgop 11-15-2010 05:38 PM

I know those little screwdrivers are capable, but the set I have has a much bigger gripping area and the pieces aren't long enough to reach through. I like the variety that actually came with these locks as you'd never have to worry about them rolling around anywhere. I know, it's a bit anal retentive, but I'm just "old school" on little things like this.

forgop 11-15-2010 07:09 PM

My brother found them for me...I may just pick up 20 of them to have one over every room with plenty left over at that price. :)

https://www.hardwareworld.com/81087-...y-pPFKKEW.aspx

markem 11-15-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1062893)
My brother found them for me...I may just pick up 20 of them to have one over every room with plenty left over at that price. :)

https://www.hardwareworld.com/81087-...y-pPFKKEW.aspx

We keep ours hanging on a nail over the inside of the linen closet door, which doesn't lock. Out of the way and handy, as long as someone remembers that they are there. Oh yeah, I have a note about there they are located taped to the inside of the toolbox.

forgop 11-15-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1062910)
We keep ours hanging on a nail over the inside of the linen closet door, which doesn't lock. Out of the way and handy, as long as someone remembers that they are there. Oh yeah, I have a note about there they are located taped to the inside of the toolbox.

I had one for a 4400 sq ft house and for $12, I'll have more than I can possibly lose. :r

SvilleKid 11-15-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1062910)

I keep mine on the top of each doorjam's molding. Just reach up, there it is. invisible from the ground.

Bill86 11-15-2010 08:34 PM

Small screw driver, if not you can use toothpicks on some of them. I usually use toothpicks to open those doors if I accidentally lock myself out.

Starscream 11-16-2010 05:53 AM

Glad you found what you were looking for. I found that clotheshangers work pretty well too.

Lucky_Hippo 11-16-2010 07:35 AM

I've used a Q-tip with one cotten end torn off as well. Quick, cheap, disposable, and you get to feel like Macgyver for 10 whole seconds. LOL

Wolfgang 11-16-2010 08:02 AM

If its the one that has the flat head screw inside you can take a coat hanger and grind the end to fit the slot. And also make millions of them!!!!!

thebayratt 11-16-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions???
Stay out of Menards and Home Depot!!

We got them at the Lowe's where I work I do believe~