Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ERDM Flor de Lavonda (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72750)

Footbag 03-21-2017 03:27 PM

ERDM Flor de Lavonda

Construction: An interesting trumpet shaped cigar. Smooth colorado wrapper with some veininess. Tight and firm roll. Seams are visible.

Draw: A bit firm for my liking, but still allows for sufficient smoke production. Still, a slightly looser draw would be preferable.

Predraw: Nothing to note. Very little flavor.

Flavor: Predominant sweet cedar with hints of of deeper flavors as it warms up. Hints of bitter leather notes are balanced by the natural sweetness. Mild to medium. Not very complex, but not at all bad. Retrohale has similar flavors, some cocoa bean notes. The finish is very short, with only slight hints of tobacco.

Overall: This was one of the first cigars I tried over 20 years ago. Also my first box purchase. I was in a cigar store, saw it and decided to revisit it. I can see why I liked it back then. It's probably the perfect beginner smoke. Not overwhelming and good flavors. I though I was going to smoke it earlier, thus the mild cigar selection. But it took me a few hours to get to it. These days, I'd prefer something a bit more complex and meaty; but I'm happy to have tried this one again.

Tio Gato 03-21-2017 04:30 PM

Re: ERDM Flor de Lavonda

That's quite a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing. I never bought a box of those. The thought of smoking Lew Rothman's wife was too much for me. Ha.

Footbag 03-21-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio Gato (Post 2119645)
That's quite a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing. I never bought a box of those. The thought of smoking Lew Rothman's wife was too much for me. Ha.

Lol. The name always turned me off. Only recenly learned it was naed after Rothman's wife.

Wharf Rat 03-21-2017 05:10 PM

Funny - it was one of my 1st boxes as well. I tried some Excaliburs recently as a blast from the past. They weren't bad at all. I should revisit ERDM.

sigsauer 03-21-2017 06:08 PM

I always liked the El Rey del Mundo
Flor de Llaneza (Pyramid) in maduro in 35 count boxes!

Slow Triathlete 06-19-2017 03:45 PM

I, too, used to smoke a bunch of these. I can't find anywhere locally or near me here in NC that sells these in singles for me to try out again.

Oh well, if I ever see them out I'll grab a 5'er and see if they are as good as I remember.

The Poet 06-19-2017 05:05 PM

Scott, it's maybe 2 hours up 40/95 to Selma, where they likely have singles. That's not close, but that not far either.

Me, I've smoked a lot or ERDM but never the Lavonda. I have herfed with Lew several times, but have not met his bride. :D